Amazonian tribesmen jab their spears as they see plane for first time

Blackleaf
+1
Startled tribal men in a remote part of the Amazon basin in Brazil shake their spears as they are pictured from above.

The pictures, shot from a plane earlier this week, were taken of the isolated tribe on the Peruvian border.

It is thought the tribe have had little to no contact with the outside world, so must have thought the plane was a flying monster.

There are many such isolated tribes in Brazil who have had no contact with the outside world and they are protected by the Brazilian government.

Their customs, religions and languages are a mystery.

Startled Amazon tribesmen pictured jabbing their spears as they see an airplane for the first time

Two-hundred-strong tribe live in Brazil's Acre state on the border with Peru

They are 'uncontacted', meaning they have no contact with outside world

Aircraft was on mission to check their land hadn't been encroached

By Daily Mail Reporter
29 March 2014
Daily Mail

Startled tribal men in a remote part of the Amazon basin in Brazil shake their spears as they are pictured from above.

The pictures, shot from a plane earlier this week, were taken of the isolated tribe on the Peruvian border.

It is thought the tribe have had little to no contact with with the outside world.

Startled: An isolated tribe reacts to a plane flying over their community in Brazil's Amazon basin on the border with Peru

Who's there? The tribe numbers about 200 and is left alone to live in peace by the Brazilian Government

Threatened: The elusive tribe's dwellings are at risk from cattle ranching and logging, among other things and its land is monitored by officials to prevent encroachment

Busy: According to a charity, this particular tribe grows crops, peanuts, bananas and corn

Remote: The tribe is pictured surrounded by banana plants near their straw roof huts

The tribe, which numbers about 200, lives in Acre State. The Government follows a policy of not contacting them but monitors their land as it is threatened by logging, mining, cattle ranching, fishing and hunting.

Leaders of the Ashaninka tribe, which shares territory with this tribe and other uncontacted ones in the Amazon, have asked the government and NGOs for help in controlling the encroachment of these tribes in their own area, according to Reuters.

According to Survival International, an organisation working for tribal people's rights worldwide, this particular uncontacted Amazonian tribe grows crops, peanuts, bananas, corns and more.

The pictures also show banana plants near the tribe's straw-roofed huts.
Last edited by Blackleaf; Mar 30th, 2014 at 12:05 PM..

WLDB
Interesting.

Cliffy
This tribe has been protected for many years, from encroachment by mining and oil exploiters. I'm surprised the plane got that close. Usually they try not to so as to avoid upsetting them.

Twila
Would be very cool to "see" the plane as they did. I wonder how long these kinds of things will continue to happen.

I remember being awestruck learning that this sort of event could even happen way back when I was a teenager. I didn't think it still possible.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

Would be very cool to "see" the plane as they did. I wonder how long these kinds of things will continue to happen.

I remember being awestruck learning that this sort of event could even happen way back when I was a teenager. I didn't think it still possible.

This tribe is protected because they are the last untouched tribe we know of. I'm sure many an anthropologist would love to go in but they also know what the price the tribe would pay if they did. They also know that it is only a matter of time until somebody does go in there and destroy their lives and habitat. Greed will be their downfall, not their greed but "civilization's".

bill barilko
They see planes every week just not that close-satellites @ night too just like we all do.

Also pilots have to be very careful about being too close-those tribesmen have brought down planes and helicopters both with those bows-the arrows are at least a metre long and very deadly.

lone wolf
If they've brought down planes and helicopters, they would have been exposed to modern life. Did one call you on a pilot's cell?

Locutus
I'd be careful with this one. Smells like bullsh!t again.

It's from the same group (Survival International) that propagated the Tasaday hoax years ago. Besides, this 'uncontacted' tribe has modern metal cooking pots as you can see in the photos.

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

It's from the same group (Survival International) that propagated the Tasaday hoax years ago. Besides, this 'uncontacted' tribe has modern metal cooking pots as you can see in the photos.

cooking pots? Not a Coke bottle?

lone wolf
+3
#10  Top Rated Post
The Gods aren't THAT crazy....

SLM
+1

Dude, they shop at WalMart, they've just never seen a plane before.

B00Mer
Glad we have not started to explore outer space.. we failed Prime Directive here...

Quote:

As the right of each sentient species to live in accordance with its normal cultural evolution is considered sacred, no Star Fleet personnel may interfere with the healthy development of alien life and culture. Such interference includes the introduction of superior knowledge, strength, or technology to a world whose society is incapable of handling such advantages wisely. Star Fleet personnel may not violate this Prime Directive, even to save their lives and/or their ship unless they are acting to right an earlier violation or an accidental contamination of said culture. This directive takes precedence over any and all other considerations, and carries with it the highest moral obligation.

Twila
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

The Gods aren't THAT crazy....

I wondered if anyone would get that. It's been a few years for that movie.

Sal
It would seem as though they've all had contact at one time or another, but it has been disastrous so they have chosen to flee and not reengage.

Uncontacted Indians in Brazil appear defensive from the air. This photo was taken in 2008.

Uncontacted Indians in Brazil, May 2008. Many are under increasing threat from illegal logging over the border in Peru.

FUNAI official Josť Carlos Meirelles holds arrows belonging to uncontacted Indians

Not undiscovered

There are tribes all over the world who have decided to remain isolated from national society or even other indigenous peoples.

(see link)

Uncontacted Indians of Brazil - Survival International

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Dude, they shop at WalMart, they've just never seen a plane before.

Walmart or Tarjay?

B00Mer
+1
Go in on foot, and first contact may be your last if they are Cannibals.. Oh yeah, White Meat!! Taste like chicken.

Twila
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

It would seem as though they've all had contact at one time or another, but it has been disastrous so they have chosen to flee and not reengage.

Uncontacted Indians in Brazil appear defensive from the air. This photo was taken in 2008.

Uncontacted Indians in Brazil, May 2008. Many are under increasing threat from illegal logging over the border in Peru.

FUNAI official Josť Carlos Meirelles holds arrows belonging to uncontacted Indians

Not undiscovered

There are tribes all over the world who have decided to remain isolated from national society or even other indigenous peoples.

(see link)

Uncontacted Indians of Brazil - Survival International

They look multiculteral. I see black, orange, yellow, and a couple bright red ones.

Sal

They look multiculteral. I see black, orange, yellow, and a couple bright red ones.

lol yeah I never noticed that...they are def, multi-coloured

Tecumsehsbones
+1

Oompa Loompa
Diddly dag
The Daily Mail
Is a retarded rag

Locutus
This is the embedded link from my previous post in case nobody clicked it:

A Savage Hoax: The Cave Men Who Never Existed | LiveScience

lone wolf
I think I saw the same pics in National Geographic years ago - when computers were as big as houses, ate miles of magnetic tape and spit out punch cards....

Twila

well it was a nice day dream for a few minutes. To think that there was a culture not changed by capitalism

bill barilko
The metal cooking pots are traded from other tribes or even left as gifts in the jungle by the Brazilian gov't department responsible for the native well being.

The colour on the skin is generally insect repellent-juice from Annatto/Achiote seed or something similar.

It sure is easy to see who's never been in the tropical jungle here-I have-those of you who haven't come across as true jackasses.

It's one thing to be a jackass but to be proud of it?

Sal

well it was a nice day dream for a few minutes. To think that there was a culture not changed by capitalism

Loc that article is from 2008

lone wolf

Innocence lost, eh....

They'd be better off not found. Some human rights group would be all over them causing more damage than capitalism ever could. No money? No interest to money takers....

Locutus
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

Loc that article is from 2008

I know. It's about the hoax this same group pulled back then. So as I said, I'd be careful.

Twila
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Innocence lost, eh....

They'd be better off not found. Some human rights group would be all over them causing more damage than capitalism ever could. No money? No interest to money takers....

Would be nice to know what they know. See things how they see them. Without changing them. Unless they want to change...but that's a whole other story/tale/debate/

Sal
+1

I know. It's about the hoax this same group pulled back then. So as I said, I'd be careful.

ah okay,
from what I have just read I would say there are no longer any tribes who've had no contact, there are only tribes who choose to remain contactless... and that makes the most sense in today's world.