Brampton courthouse locked down after Peel police officer shot, shooter dead

Sal

Peel Regional Police officer is in stable condition after he was shot by a man at a Brampton courthouse, north of Toronto, Friday morning. The gunman was shot dead by police, Ontario’s police watchdog said.

“The bad guy is dead,” a police source said shortly after the incident.

Pandemonium broke out when a man opened fire shortly before 11 a.m. after he tried to enter A. Grenville and William Davis Courthouse with a gun, the Special Investigations Unit said, which is now probing the incident. He shot an officer and was apparently shot dead by police at the first-floor elevator, which is past security stationed at the entrance. In is not clear if the gunman had already made it past security when he started firing.

Const. Mike Klarenbeek, a 29-year veteran of the force, was rushed to Sunnybrook hospital with non-life-threatening injuries and is in stable condition, police said. The officer has worked at the Brampton courthouse for about five years.

“He’s a good cop…. He’s a family man,” Staff Sgt. Dan Richardson said at a press conference Friday afternoon. “When our command sent out an email saying his condition was stable, we all breathed a collective sigh of relief.”
The shooter was an unidentified Brampton man Sgt. Dan Richardson said. The SIU will not release his name until his family has been notified, police said.

(short video below)

Brampton courthouse locked down after Peel police officer shot, shooter dead | National Post

Hamza Khan, a defendant on his way to a trial, said he had just boarded the elevator when chaos erupted.
“The guy [the shooter] was just two or three guys behind me,” Mr. Khan said, in the line to clear courthouse security.
“It was just a normal day at court. And then, ‘Boom, boom, boom,’” he said. “You don’t know what to do, duck or what.”
He said he continued up to the courtroom, which police quickly ordered staff to lock.
It was a normal day at court. And then, ‘Boom, boom, boom’
“People were running. They were pushing. It was crazy. The clerk was crying. Undercover detectives were on the floor.”
He showed reporters a cell phone video of dogs from Peel Police K9 unit searching courtrooms.
“They had to search everybody,” he said. “It was a mess. Everybody was getting pissed.”
Kim Hodge, 48, said she was standing in front of the courthouse having a cigarette when she heard a “pop” and everyone started “running all over the place.”
“I heard the first pop … and I was like, ‘what the heck,’” she said. “Then I seen about eight people run out and then a few seconds later I heard a pop-pop.”

She said she ran after hearing the second and third gunshots, and ducked behind one of the pillars.
“I didn’t know what to think,” she said. “I’d think in a courthouse, there’s not gonna be no gunshots.”
Hodge had taken a friend to court that day. While she was outside, her friend was on the third floor.
“You just worry that your friends are in there,” she said. “It’s a traumatic thing to go through and see.”

Brampton courthouse locked down after Peel police officer shot, shooter dead | National Post

Locutus
Bizarre.

Glad the officer isn't injured too badly. Best to him and his family.

Quite pleased that the shooter is dead.

EagleSmack
Quote:

Oh your cops like to get all dressed up too?

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Oh your cops like to get all dressed up too?

apparently, those weapons look largish

EagleSmack
Quote:

She said she ran after hearing the second and third gunshots, and ducked behind one of the pillars.
“I didn’t know what to think,” she said. “I’d think in a courthouse, there’s not gonna be no gunshots.”

Are we 100% sure this was in Canada?

Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

apparently, those weapons look largish

Something tells me it was all over by the time they got dressed.

Locutus
+1
#6  Top Rated Post
critical but stable condition

Sal

Are we 100% sure this was in Canada?

I'm giving her a pass due to stress...on the other hand if you are at the court house and you aren't the judge, the defense lawyer, the prosecutor or a cop/guard...well...yeah, you know what I mean.
Quote:

Something tells me it was all over by the time they got dressed.

I think you're right. This is big new for us though, we're not used to this kind of happening going down.

Locutus
+1

Guy on the left is carrying the Half-Life 2 Gravity Gun. Oh I know, it looks just like a door ram, but no. Trust me.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Guy on the left is carrying the Half-Life 2 Gravity Gun. Oh I know, it looks just like a door ram, but no. Trust me.

It is ginormous...I was shocked at the size of that puppy, I'll behave...promise.

EagleSmack

I'm giving her a pass due to stress...on the other hand if you are at the court house and you aren't the judge, the defense lawyer, the prosecutor or a cop/guard...well...yeah, you know what I mean.

I was talking about how she said.. "... there's not gonna be no gunshots..."

tankNZ
That's awful!

Sal

I was talking about how she said.. "... there's not gonna be no gunshots..."

yes I was too... maybe we had a different take on the way she phrased it, I thought you were pointing out how poor her grammar was... no?

sorry I likely misinterpreted

shadowshiv
I am glad that the only person that is dead is the piece of crap that shot the police officer. I'm also glad to hear that it sounds like the officer is going to be okay!

One thing that I don't like is that they won't release the name of the guy that shot the police officer.