Act of compassion violates school dress code policy

Locutus
+2

KUSA - It was meant as a gesture of solidarity: a girl in Grand Junction shaved her head to support her friend, who is battling cancer. However, family members say the girl's school didn't see it that way and said it violated the dress code policy. Now, what started as a simple gesture is turning into a battle over whether hair should matter in school.

For the two girls on the playground, though, Monday afternoon was all about sharing fun in the sun and sporting matching bald heads.
"It felt like the right thing to do," Kamryn Renfro said.

With her parents' permission, Kamryn shaved her head in support of her cancer-stricken friend, 11-year-old Delaney Clements. She lost her hair because she is undergoing chemotherapy in her fight against neuroblastoma, a childhood cancer.

Delaney loved what her friend did.

"It made me feel very special and that I'm not alone," she said.

However, when Kamryn tried to go back to school at Caprock Academy in Grand Junction this week, she wasn't allowed in. Turns out, having a shaved head is a violation of the school's dress code policy. Delaney's mom, Wendy Campbell, couldn't believe it.

"I didn't realize that hair was such an important aspect of a child at school," Campbell said.

In a statement, Caprock Academy said its dress code policy is clear.
"Caprock Academy does have a detailed dress code policy, which was created to promote safety, uniformity, and a non-distracting environment for the school's students. Under this policy, shaved heads are not permitted," said Catherine Norton Breman, President and Chair of Caprock Academy Board of Directors.

more

Act of compassion violates school dress code policy (external - login to view)

the policy is clear

Sal
+3
only under extraordinary circumstances can a change be made....a child fighting for her life and needing support is extraordinary...so yeah they'd best allow it

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

only under extraordinary circumstances can a change be made....a child fighting for her life and needing support is extraordinary...so yeah they'd best allow it

Walk into the teachers lounge while they are doing lines and nail them with clippers.

WLDB
+1
I wonder if they refuse to hire older men or fire the men they have when they lose their hair. Probably not, these things tend to be very inconsistent.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

I wonder if they refuse to hire older men or fire the men they have when they lose their hair. Probably not, these things tend to be very inconsistent.

Except the policy doesn't say no baldness, it says no shaved heads.

I'm not sure I understand the reactions here. Don't most of you folk generally think kids are spoiled, useless scum who need discipline?

Nothing promotes discipline like rigid adherence to arbitrary and nonsensical rules.

taxslave
+4
#6  Top Rated Post
How did we ever manage to let so many stupid people get in control of our lives?

petros
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

How did we ever manage to let so many stupid people get in control of our lives?

By not voting.

taxslave
Probably has a lot to do with it. But so many of those in positions of power are hired for life not voted in. ANd the politicians for the most part are only interested in photo ops and their pension not rocking the bureaucratic boat.

damngrumpy
+2
Remember the sixties when hair was too long? Full circle we are now hair is too short
or shaved. Its time the school stop trying to regulate the social structure of society it has
not worked in the past and won't in the future. There are some common sense rules
but this is nuts

mentalfloss
+2
I'm sure they'll sort it out soon enough.

In the meantime:

petros

Probably has a lot to do with it. But so many of those in positions of power are hired for life not voted in. ANd the politicians for the most part are only interested in photo ops and their pension not rocking the bureaucratic boat.

Who did you vote for on your local school board?

Sal
In general, "follow the rules type of people" (golds) get promoted to run places; schools etc.

Golds are liked for such jobs because most people in our society are 'golds'. Golds understand other golds and expect others to adhere to the rules. Golds are the keepers of institutions...they understand that there are ways to "do things". There is right and wrong and not much gray and they see little use for gray.

The rules were set in place and need to be followed. Often there are good reasons for rules but there is no "often" for this type of individual.

The problem here was the principal did not respond to the need for flexibility, is not a big picture thinker and thus was not able to predict the outcome of the denial.

I would judge this particular principal to be inflexible and not very tolerant. Once it hit the press (there's a surprise) the Board would have stepped in and assisted the principal to understand what had to happen.

No common sense.

WLDB
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

By not voting.

Or not paying attention at all.

Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

I'm not sure I understand the reactions here. Don't most of you folk generally think kids are spoiled, useless scum who need discipline?

Nothing promotes discipline like rigid adherence to arbitrary and nonsensical rules.

Im not one of those people. Kids dont really matter much to me. I like to pretend they dont exist as much as possible. This thread is a temporary break from that.

lone wolf
When did hair become an article of clothing?

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I think it's more about an adherence to a code of dress or rather presentation in general

I don't have a problem with that in general (in our schools)...but the principal's inability to respond to the situation is not a good sign

mentalfloss
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

It was likely one person at the school who really enforced it and probably had no idea the significance behind the act.

But the people who love to shame schools thrive on posting stories like this before the situation is resolved. Fits very well into the gubmint, political correctness agenda.

Meanwhile, the kids have already been admitted back in.
Last edited by mentalfloss; Mar 25th, 2014 at 02:26 PM..

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Who did you vote for on your local school board?

The bald guy.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

It was likely one person at the school who really enforced it and probably had no idea the significance behind the act.

But the people who love to shame schools thrive on posting stories like this before the situation is resolved. Fits very well into the gubmint, political correctness agenda.

Meanwhile, the kids have already been admitted back in.

Your rants better than his rants?

Locutus
Most of you bald or half-balding wankers would prefer to shave the damn thing anyway because you'd look like a neglected houseplant what with all the little sprouts and dead wood. Never mind the Les Nessman comb-overs. Am I right?

Oh an iron-hair bastard like me shouldn't make fun I know.

But still, thanks for shaving.

Tecumsehsbones
That's what she said.

Zipperfish
+1

The problem isn't stupid people. The problem is the stupid people don't know they're stupid.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

The problem isn't stupid people. The problem is the stupid people don't know they're stupid.

yeah, deep down they do...which is why they have to swarm together in numbers and reinforce how they are correct and everyone else is wrong or stupid if they do not think like them.

no new posts