Man killed by police for illegal camping

Cliffy
In the land of the brave and the home of the free:

Warning, graphic video content. Not for the faint of heart.

Helmet Cam Footage Shows Cops Murder a Man for “Illegally Camping” | The Free Thought Project

Locutus
Hmmm...
Trigger happy officers were dispatched to the scene and Boyd was murdered by them.
Read more at Helmet Cam Footage Shows Cops Murder a Man for “Illegally Camping” | The Free Thought Project

A less 'trigger happy' story:

Boyd was arguing with police for more three hours last Sunday in the foothills after officers went to talk to him about illegally camping in open space.

During Friday’s press conference, Chief Eden released video of the moment when officers first contacted Boyd. When one officer went to frisk Boyd, the homeless camper could then be heard refusing to comply, saying he was a government agent. The video shows Boyd continued to refuse officer commands and began threatening their lives.

“I’m almost going to kill you right now. Don’t give me another directive. Don’t attempt to give me, the Department of Defense, another directive,” said Boyd at the beginning of the incident.

As the hours passed, Chief Eden said an APD Crisis Intervention Team officer and a State Police liaison were called to the scene. Both attempted to speak with Boyd, however, Chief Eden says Boyd continued to threaten officers with death. Police also discovered that Boyd had a violent 20-year criminal history that included multiple incidents of violence against officers. Boyd’s history also showed years of mental health related concerns.

Video shows when officers moved in on Boyd around 7:30 p.m on the night of the shooting. At the beginning of incident, Boyd can be heard saying, “In a private world, if you were down at a bar or a bus stop, I would have the right to kill you right now because you’re trying to take me over. Don’t get stupid with me!”

APD: Officer involved shooting was justified | Albuquerque News & Weather | Abq, Rio Rancho, Santa Fe, NM | krqe.com

Just another point of view.

SLM
+1
Three sides to every story.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
The Free Thought Project aka The Half The Facts Press

Cliffy
The Department of Justice is close to finishing its investigation into the culture and use of force at APD, which could lead to wholesale changes in how the department is run. Individual cops could also face criminal charges.
APD officer shooting raises questions | Albuquerque News & Weather | Abq, Rio Rancho, Santa Fe, NM | krqe.com

The department has refused to provide details about the shooting, other than to confirm the two officers’ names and say they both fired shots at a homeless camper — who police believe was living with paranoid schizophrenia — during a lengthy standoff in the foothills Sunday evening. The man was armed with knives.

Cop involved in Sunday shooting had rocky past, performance at APD | Albuquerque News & Weather | Abq, Rio Rancho, Santa Fe, NM | krqe.com

The man was known by police to be a paranoid schizophrenic. Why did they only use the bean bag gun after he was shot with live bullets.

Colpy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Helmet Cam Footage Shows Cops Murder a Man for “Illegally Camping” | The Free Thought Project

GET ON THE GROUND NOW means GET ON THE GROUND NOW.

This was not murder, it was suicide.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

GET ON THE GROUND NOW means GET ON THE GROUND NOW.

This was not murder, it was suicide.

BS! Live ammo was not necessary. They had less lethal weapons.

Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

The Free Thought Project aka The Half The Facts Press

This video was sent to me by an ex Vietnam vet who is outraged by what is on it.

Colpy
+1

BS! Live ammo was not necessary. They had less lethal weapons.

This video was sent to me by an ex Vietnam vet who is outraged by what is on it.

But he had lethal weapons.

Knives are lethal weapons. And a man with a knife is a very serious threat. People seem to forget that.

Popping him with the bean bag rounds when he was on the ground did not make him drop the knife.

Look, I would be very hesitant to shoot the guy in this situation.....I am also not willing to second-guess a man who uses deadly force within the parameters of his training.....and with edged weapons that is threatening and within 7 metres, lethal force is your choice.

Let the courts sort it out.

JLM

Illegal camping!!!!!!!!!! There's just no telling what a guy like that could get up to next!

Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

But he had lethal weapons.

Knives are lethal weapons. And a man with a knife is a very serious threat. People seem to forget that.

Popping him with the bean bag rounds when he was on the ground did not make him drop the knife.

Look, I would be very hesitant to shoot the guy in this situation.....I am also not willing to second-guess a man who uses deadly force within the parameters of his training.....and with edged weapons that is threatening and within 7 metres, lethal force is your choice.

Let the courts sort it out.

H.T. F. are you supposed to camp without a knife?

Locutus
+1

Graphic Video - Helmetcam Captures Fatal Shooting - YouTube

Certainly had a knife in his left hand alright.

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Graphic Video - Helmetcam Captures Fatal Shooting - YouTube

Certainly had a knife in his left hand alright.

While it is sad that the man was killed, I don't see the police having done anything wrong. The man was armed, and was not listening to the officers.

BaalsTears
Don't act like the gentleman in question unless you are seeking to commit suicide by cop. Never threaten them.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

Don't act like the gentleman in question unless you are seeking to commit suicide by cop. Never threaten them.

They knew he was mentally ill. They should have made allowances.

shadowshiv

They knew he was mentally ill. They should have made allowances.

Mental illness does not, nor should it, give any leeway when brandishing weapons.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

Mental illness does not, nor should it, give any leeway when brandishing weapons.

No, but a shoulder shot will slow him down. -

shadowshiv
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Only in movies and television shows do they aim for areas NOT dead centre.

emilyjake
Its right that the man was armed and stuff but still is it right to just kill a man right away?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by emilyjakeView Post

Its right that the man was armed and stuff but still is it right to just kill a man right away?

The cops think it is but I'm not convinced in ALL cases!

Retired_Can_Soldier
That's the problem in a situation like this. When the fellow in Brandon cut off that young guys head on the Greyhound Bus with a knife and proceeded to dismember and eat parts of him the police were called cowards for containing him rather than going in and take him down. Now a fellow, obviously unstable, wielding a knife, is killed after threatening police and they should have used a bean bag gun.

I thought seriously about being a cop when I was a young guy. I was even approached by the RCMP a decade ago after taking one of my kids to a recruitment session. If I didn't have bum legs and a mortgage I probably would have signed up.

What a thankless position to be in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLM

Unrealistic and extremely dangerous.

EagleSmack
+1
Hmmm... I don't know. I've seen police take down these guys with less. Remember the guy with the samurai sword? They used bean bags, a ladder, even a fire hose.

I know they don't always have those tools at hand but these cops all had AR-15s, body armor, a shot gun with bean bags, a K-9, I am sure they had tazers. This guy had what looks to be a 4 inch table knife. Come on now.

captain morgan
+2
They don't pay cops enough to take a chance with their lives with someone like this.

taxslave
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

They don't pay cops enough to take a chance with their lives with someone like this.

That is basically what it boils down to. The pay is not good enough to take stupid chances. Also expensive if it goes south. Suicide by cop is more common than the people in charge would like us to know.

captain morgan
+3
#23  Top Rated Post
No doubt... You gotta wonder what buddy was thinking (sane or not) in terms of holding-off multiple cops with hand guns against his knife.

Sadly, if you take a look at the title of the OP, at first glance, one would think that the cops stormed into a public camp ground and executed this dude for not paying the evening fees... Guess that is the result of people that post with an agenda

#juan
That whole situation was deteriorating and it went to hell when some idiot fired a flashbang. A dozen or so rounds were fired and the guy was shot. I think the whole thing was badly handled

B00Mer
Quote:

Boyd appears to pull out knives in both hands as an officer with a dog approaches him. He makes a threatening motion toward the officer, then starts to turn around away from police.

I'd shoot'em

Zipperfish
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

Only in movies and television shows do they aim for areas NOT dead centre.

I heard they were rethinking the "centre of mass" policy.

petros
+1
Eventually the guy would have got tired, hungry, thirsty and gave up.

Problem is he'd do 6 months in a forensics unit, get out, live in a "home", break the rules and end up back on the street not doing his meds or hit his limit in the home.

There is no long term care.

EagleSmack
+2
In Massachusetts are police all make about 6 figures. There is a waiting list to become a cop and it is very difficult to get on that list.

I think they are paid enough and that is what they are paid to do.

Blackleaf
If anyone is to be killed for illegal camping it should be David Walliams.

That guy's camper than Christmas at Butlins.

EagleSmack
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Sadly, if you take a look at the title of the OP, at first glance, one would think that the cops stormed into a public camp ground and executed this dude for not paying the evening fees... Guess that is the result of people that post with an agenda

That is how I took it Cap. That is Cliffy though... news through disinformation.

Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

I heard they were rethinking the "centre of mass" policy.

That would be foolish.