British and Poles mark 70th anniversary of the Great Escape

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A ceremony to commemorate the Great Escape, the famous breakout of mainly British airmen from German prisoner of war camp Stalag Luft III on 24-25 March 1944, has taken place in Poland.

Survivors, families and UK and Polish officials gathered in Zagan in western Poland, 70 years after the escape plot.

Of those who broke out of the camp, only three reached safety and of the 73 recaptured, 50 were shot.

The ceremony was the first formal act of remembrance held in their honour.

A small number of survivors of the prisoner of war camp were among those who paid their respects.

The daring bid for freedom was immortalised in the classic 1963 Hollywood film The Great Escape, starring Steve McQueen, James Garner and Richard Attenborough. Despite McQueen playing an American in a leading role in the escape, in reality no Americans were involved in the escape at all.

According to the Daily Telegraph, the appropriately-named D ick Churchill, 94, is the last British survivor among the 76 escapees.

'The Great Escape' commemorated in Poland

BBC News
24 March 2014

Air Commodore Charles Clarke was a prisoner at the German camp immortalised in The Great Escape

A ceremony to commemorate the Great Escape, the famous breakout from German prisoner of war camp Stalag Luft III in 1944, has taken place in Poland.

Survivors, families and UK and Polish officials gathered in Zagan, 70 years after the escape plot.

Of those who broke out of the camp, only three reached safety and of the 73 recaptured, 50 were shot.

The ceremony was the first formal act of remembrance held in their honour.

A small number of survivors of the prisoner of war camp were among those who paid their respects.

Some 50 RAF service personnel will now march for four days to the cemetery at Poznan where they will lay wreaths at the graves of the 50 executed prisoners.

The RAF's Air Vice-Marshal Stuart Atha told those gathered the Great Escape was "an extraordinary chapter" in the history of the allied air forces "written by men with great courage and character".

During the war, Stalag Luft III was in Germany, but is now in western Poland

Those who escaped were "an exceptional band of airmen whose bravery, ingenuity and resilient spirit set an example for all time", he added.

"When first captured, they did not accept that for them the war was over.

"Far from it, they were not prisoners of war - they were prisoners at war.

"And through their activities, they opened another front that distracted and diluted enemy forces and demonstrated that no fence, no Stalag Luft, could contain allied airmen."

British ambassador to Poland Robin Barnett and former prisoner of war Charles Clarke were among others who spoke.

10,000 prisoners

RAF airmen were kept prisoner at Stalag Luft III

The daring bid for freedom was immortalised in the classic 1963 film The Great Escape, starring Steve McQueen, James Garner and Richard Attenborough.

Stalag Luft III, which was 100 miles south-east of Berlin on the Polish border, held about 10,000 prisoners at the height of its occupation.

Members of the RAF, the US Army Air Force and other allied forces were among prisoners at the camp.

Because of border changes, the location of the camp is now in Poland.

An escape committee was formed at the camp in spring 1943 and the escape plan hatched under the leadership of Squadron Leader Roger Bushell.

Three tunnels, codenamed Tom, D ick and Harry, were started in April 1943.

The tunnels were dug to a depth of 30ft and shored up with wooden boards from the prisoners' beds.

On the night of 24 March 1944, about 200 mainly British prisoners prepared to escape through Harry, a tunnel measuring over 300ft long, beneath Hut 104.

Only 76 were able to make their break for freedom using the tunnel.

Norwegian pilots Per Bergsland and Jens Muller, and Dutch pilot Bram van der Stok - who all died in the 1990s - made it to safety.

Of the 73 who were recaptured, 50 were subsequently shot by the Gestapo on Adolf Hitler's orders.

According to the Daily Telegraph, D ick Churchill, 94, is the last British survivor among the 76 escapees.

The Great Escape

Stalag Luft III opened in spring 1942
Air forces personnel only
At maximum it held 10,000 PoWs, covered 59 acres, with five miles of perimeter fencing
Wooden Horse escape on the night of 29/30 October 1943
Great Escape on 24-25 March 1944
Of three tunnels, only one, Harry, completed
Harry was 336 ft (102m) long, 28ft (8.5m) deep

READ MORE: BBC News - 'The Great Escape' commemorated in Poland

Last edited:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
"In real life at Stalag Luft, the American prisoners were separated from the British before the actual escape was made. Several, though, were instrumental in the planning stages of the digging of the various tunnels. Of these, Flt.-Lt. George Harsh (who flew with the Royal Canadian Air Force rather than the USAAF), was perhaps the nearest equivalent to Hilts, though resemblances are very slight."

Hilts 'The Cooler King' (Character) - Biography

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

You do know that was fiction, don't you? Steve McQueen was celebrating his 14th birthday when the British were escaping from Stalag Luft III.

Nah. The Great Escape was organised and led by RAF Squadron Leader Roger Bushell. The character played by David's brother, Richard Attenborough, in the Great Escape film was based on Bushell.

Bushell was held in the North Compound where British airmen were housed. He was in command of the Escape Committee and channeled the effort into probing for weaknesses and looking for opportunities. Falling back on his legal background to represent his scheme, Bushell called a meeting of the Escape Committee and not only shocked those present with its scope, but injected into every man a passionate determination to put their every energy into the escape. He declared,
"Everyone here in this room is living on borrowed time. By rights we should all be dead! The only reason that God allowed us this extra ration of life is so we can make life hell for the Hun... In North Compound we are concentrating our efforts on completing and escaping through one master tunnel. No private-enterprise tunnels allowed. Three bloody deep, bloody long tunnels will be dug - Tom, D ick, and Harry. One will succeed!"

Stalag Luft III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You do know that was fiction, don't you? Steve McQueen was celebrating his 14th birthday when the British were escaping from Stalag Luft III.

Yes I am aware that it was a movie filmed in 1963.

Did you just figure that out? You've seemed to have difficulty differentiating fact from fiction and history from entertainment.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Did you just figure that out? .

No. I already knew. I was just wondering if you did, considering the way the Yanks romanticise their history and believe historical fiction.

I'll just point out again - that was a movie. McQueen turned just 14 on 24th March 1944. He - and every other American - played no part in the Great Escape, despite what any Hollywood film would have you believe.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
No. I already knew. I was just wondering if you did, considering the way the Yanks romanticise their history and believe historical fiction.

I'll just point out again - that was a movie. McQueen turned just 14 on 24th March 1944. He - and every other American - played no part in the Great Escape, despite what any Hollywood film would have you believe.

"In real life at Stalag Luft, the American prisoners were separated from the British before the actual escape was made. Several, though, were instrumental in the planning stages of the digging of the various tunnels. Of these, Flt.-Lt. George Harsh (who flew with the Royal Canadian Air Force rather than the USAAF), was perhaps the nearest equivalent to Hilts, though resemblances are very slight."

Hilts 'The Cooler King' (Character) - Biography

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

With your never ending whining about American movies I highly doubt it.

Case in point.

It was a movie made in 1963. I would think you would by now you would have figured it out.

And if the Americans hadn't made the movie this would be no more than a foot note in the US defeat of Germany and Japan in WWII.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

The Great Escape is just one of many Yankee "historical" films which credit Yanks for things they didn't do in real life.

Despite what you see in The Great Escape, no Yanks whatsoever took part in it.

Here is the complete list of the escapees: List of Allied airmen from the Great Escape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of the 76 escapees, 53 were British, 7 were Canadian, 4 were Australian, 3 were New Zealanders, 3 were South Africans, 2 were Norwegians, 1 was Greek, 1 was Polish and none were American.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
No Americans involved? No wonder you all got caught!

The movie should have been called

The Great Roundup

Escape FAIL

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
No Americans involved?

None whatsoever. You wouldn't think when you watch The Great Escape though. It's like that movie which credits Americans for capturing a certain enigma machine from Jerry, even though it was, in reality, the sailors from HMS Bulldog who captured it.

And if the Americans hadn't made the movie this would be no more than a foot note in the US defeat of Germany and Japan in WWII.

I think The Great Escape was already a big event before the propaganda film was made.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
None whatsoever. You wouldn't think when you watch The Great Escape though. It's like that movie which credits Americans for capturing a certain enigma machine from Jerry, even though it was, in reality, the sailors from HMS Bulldog who captured it.

No wonder you all got bagged!

The Not So Great Escape

I think The Great Escape was already a big event before the propaganda film was made.

The Great German Roundup