Royal Navy unveils mini submarine for covert SBS missions

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Royal Navy's newest submarine - a miniature sub which can launch underwater that James Bond would be proud of - has been spotted moored off Gibraltar.

The submarine is intended to launch underwater in order to carry Special Boat Service (SBS) commandos to their destinations covertly so they can perform attacks or infiltration near the water.

Attached to a large nuclear sub, the mini pod can carry up to around eight elite commandos in heavy assault gear and is designed to be as stealthy as possible.

The pod can be seen attached to the topside of the nuclear submarine, HMS Astute, currently off the coast of Gibraltar on her maiden operational mission.

HMS Astute is the lead boat in the new Astute-class submarines, the largest and most powerful submarines ever operated by the Royal Navy.

More than 39,000 external acoustic tiles mask the vessels' sonar signatures, giving the Astute-class a better stealth quality than any other submarine previously operated. Speculation released by the media stated that by using advanced stealth technology Astute "makes less noise than a baby dolphin, making her as good as undetectable by enemy ships."

Britain's super-sub: Navy unveils James Bond-style mini submarine carried on board HMS Astute which can launch from under water

Attached to the HMS Astute, the mini pod can carry up eight commandos

Designed to be as stealthy for covert ops, like counter intelligence

Can launch underwater to carry commandos to their destinations covertly

Currently the mini sub is attached to the HMS Astute, docked in Gibraltar

By Luke Garratt
23 March 2014
Daily Mail

The logo of the SBS

The Royal Navy's newest submarine - a miniature sub which can launch underwater that James Bond would be proud of - has been spotted moored off of Gibraltar.

The submarine is intended to launch underwater in order to carry commandos to their destinations covertly so they can perform attacks or infiltration near the water.

Attached to a large nuclear sub, the mini pod can carry up to around eight elite commandos in heavy assault gear and is designed to be as stealthy as possible.

The miniature submarine atop HMS Astute, as manufacturers look on at its installation on the River Clyde

The pod can be seen attached to the topside of the nuclear submarine, the HMS Astute, currently off the coast of Gibraltar.

In a covert attack, the secret submarine pod will detach from the HMS Astute and head to its destination, absorbing sonar on the way to evade detection.

The pod will be in use by Special Boat Service commandos in their covert operations, and the miniature submarine will likely make their activities hard to predict or anticipate.

HMS Astute, one of the Royal Navy's new Astute-class nuclear powered submarines, lays at dock in Gibraltar on her maiden operational mission

The mini-sub opening its deployment hatch, where the commandos will leave from during their covert operations

Covert: Photo of an SBS operator mingling with Northern Alliance fighters during operations at Qala-I-Janghi, Afghanistan, 2001

Before it was mounted to the top of the HMS Astute, the miniature submarine had to be airlifted by helicopter to seas near its destination, before being picked up later.

Now the submarine will move closer to the destination, and plans for deployment and support for the commandos will be more readily available.

The miniature submarine, codenamed 'Project Chalfont', has been tested since it was installed in 2012, but this is the first time it will reach active service.

The miniature covert submarine is designed to be as stealthy as possible, and even comes with the ability to absorb sonar to avoid detection

The HMS Astute is the largest attack submarine the Royal Navy has at its disposal, and is the lead ship of its class.

Thanks to air recycling it could theoretically circumnavigate the planet without having to resurface, and its nuclear power system means it will never have to refuel again during its 25-year-service.

However, its only limit is that it is only able to carry three months worth of food for the 98 crew needed to man it.

The miniature submarine's main duties are for counter intelligence, as it allows for incredibly covert ops from discreet locations, and will now be able to deploy while hidden underwater, rather than having to travel by helicopter, which runs the risk of revealing its position.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I bet the pod doesn't do much for mothership's stealth capabality

Yeah. Because the people who operate the stealthy Astute-class submarines are going to be so moronically thick as to stick something so unstealthy onto the back of one of them.

Why don't you read the article carefully before commenting?

These mini submarines, which attach themselves to larger submarines, were first developed by the British during WWII. The Royal Marines' SBS have three of these, and the US Navy SEALS have one.

HMS Astute has been fitted with an underwater dock from which Special Boat Service (SBS) commandos could launch midget submarines to carry out covert missions.

Developed under a secret programme known as Project Chalfont, the dock is a portable fixture that can be fitted to whichever of the Astute fleet is heading towards a crisis zone where it may be required.

The SBS currently launch their midget submarines from surface warships or helicopters, risking discovery. The new launch dock, which remains closed during approach and opens only when the midget submarines launch, could enable them to approach undetected to intercept pirate boards or raid terrorist bases.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
You're passing propaganda disinformation these structures you claim to be submarines are clearly made of cardboard. If you look closely at the waterline in pic #42b6767 you can see the material turning to sludge. Isn't it true the Royal Navy is bankrupt?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Yeah. Because the people who operate the stealthy Astute-class submarines are going to be so moronically thick as to stick something so unstealthy onto the back of one of them.

Why don't you read the article carefully before commenting?

These mini submarines, which attach themselves to larger submarines, were first developed by the British during WWII. The Royal Marines' SBS have three of these, and the US Navy SEALS have one.

HMS Astute has been fitted with an underwater dock from which Special Boat Service (SBS) commandos could launch midget submarines to carry out covert missions.

Developed under a secret programme known as Project Chalfont, the dock is a portable fixture that can be fitted to whichever of the Astute fleet is heading towards a crisis zone where it may be required.

The SBS currently launch their midget submarines from surface warships or helicopters, risking discovery. The new launch dock, which remains closed during approach and opens only when the midget submarines launch, could enable them to approach undetected to intercept pirate boards or raid terrorist bases.

Tough shyte...

If depicted is the Astute-class submarine, you will please note her dynamic shape - a shape designed to emit as little noise as possible in her passage. Then note the "oil tank" on her back which foils flow - creating noise. The test bed defeats the secret.

Stuff your snotty Brit attitude right up your tushie. If you were the Navy man you so often claim to be, with as many years as your 32 can spare from your greatness, you might understand a thing or two of flow mechanics

...or your sub's just more proof the only two things the Brits got right were the Austin Mini and the Merlin engine.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Tough shyte...

If depicted is the Astute-class submarine, you will please note her dynamic shape - a shape designed to emit as little noise as possible in her passage. Then note the "oil tank" on her back which foils flow - creating noise. The test bed defeats the secret.

The Astute-class submarines make less noise than a baby dolphin. That's what the experts have told us and that is who I believe. I believe them. I don't believe you, somebody who knows nothing whatsoever about the Astute-class submarines, or ANY submarines.

Stuff your snotty Brit attitude right up your tushie. If you were the Navy man you so often claim to be, with as many years as your 32 can spare from your greatness, you might understand a thing or two of flow mechanics

...or your sub's just more proof the only two things the Brits got right were the Austin Mini and the Merlin engine.

The difference between the British and the Canadians is that the British build their own hi-tech submarines which are the best and most advanced in the world.

The Canadians buy old ones that have got a little bit dilapidated during their years of storage but never bother to check them thoroughly beforehand, and then try to act as though the British were at fault when you were at fault.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
With Russia's exclusive new harbor how many could the 'hide' in the Sea of Azov on the bottom that carry a cruise missile?

The Canadians buy old ones that have got a little bit dilapidated during their years of storage but never bother to check them thoroughly beforehand, and then try to act as though the British were at fault when you were at fault.
Canada was pretty much told to stop developing war stuff when the Arrow program was cut. Perhaps we would have been the ones to build the sub that uses the technology that allows torpedoes to travel at 200MPH. Whole new tourist mode of transportation from James Bay to the closest Gulf in Russia would be about 20 hours, (not bad for a container ship either) to go 4,000 miles under the ice so no stormy weather at all.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The difference between the British and the Canadians is that the British build their own hi-tech submarines which are the best and most advanced in the world.

You are obviously here to trip us up into divulging details about Canada's secret weapons programs.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The Royal Navy's newest submarine - a miniature sub which can launch underwater that James Bond would be proud of - has been spotted moored off Gibraltar.

The submarine is intended to launch underwater in order to carry Special Boat Service (SBS) commandos to their destinations covertly so they can perform attacks or infiltration near the water.

The pod can be seen attached to the topside of the nuclear submarine, HMS Astute, currently off the coast of Gibraltar on her maiden operational mission.

HMS Astute is the lead boat in the new Astute-class submarines, the largest and most powerful submarines ever operated by the Royal Navy.

More than 39,000 external acoustic tiles mask the vessels' sonar signatures, giving the Astute-class a better stealth quality than any other submarine previously operated. Speculation released by the media stated that by using advanced stealth technology Astute "makes less noise than a baby dolphin, making her as good as undetectable by enemy ships."

Britain's super-sub: Navy unveils James Bond-style mini submarine carried on board HMS Astute which can launch from under water

Attached to the HMS Astute, the mini pod can carry up eight commandos

Designed to be as stealthy for covert ops, like counter intelligence

Can launch underwater to carry commandos to their destinations covertly

Currently the mini sub is attached to the HMS Astute, docked in Gibraltar

By Luke Garratt
23 March 2014
Daily Mail

The logo of the SBS

The Royal Navy's newest submarine - a miniature sub which can launch underwater that James Bond would be proud of - has been spotted moored off of Gibraltar.

The submarine is intended to launch underwater in order to carry commandos to their destinations covertly so they can perform attacks or infiltration near the water.

The miniature submarine atop HMS Astute, as manufacturers look on at its installation on the River Clyde

The pod can be seen attached to the topside of the nuclear submarine, the HMS Astute, currently off the coast of Gibraltar.

In a covert attack, the secret submarine pod will detach from the HMS Astute and head to its destination, absorbing sonar on the way to evade detection.

The pod will be in use by Special Boat Service commandos in their covert operations, and the miniature submarine will likely make their activities hard to predict or anticipate.

HMS Astute, one of the Royal Navy's new Astute-class nuclear powered submarines, lays at dock in Gibraltar on her maiden operational mission

The mini-sub opening its deployment hatch, where the commandos will leave from during their covert operations

Covert: Photo of an SBS operator mingling with Northern Alliance fighters during operations at Qala-I-Janghi, Afghanistan, 2001

Before it was mounted to the top of the HMS Astute, the miniature submarine had to be airlifted by helicopter to seas near its destination, before being picked up later.

Now the submarine will move closer to the destination, and plans for deployment and support for the commandos will be more readily available.

The miniature submarine, codenamed 'Project Chalfont', has been tested since it was installed in 2012, but this is the first time it will reach active service.

The miniature covert submarine is designed to be as stealthy as possible, and even comes with the ability to absorb sonar to avoid detection

The HMS Astute is the largest attack submarine the Royal Navy has at its disposal, and is the lead ship of its class.

Thanks to air recycling it could theoretically circumnavigate the planet without having to resurface, and its nuclear power system means it will never have to refuel again during its 25-year-service.

However, its only limit is that it is only able to carry three months worth of food for the 98 crew needed to man it.

The miniature submarine's main duties are for counter intelligence, as it allows for incredibly covert ops from discreet locations, and will now be able to deploy while hidden underwater, rather than having to travel by helicopter, which runs the risk of revealing its position.

That is a first. I never knew the SBS had midgets in their ranks. Good for getting into small areas unnoticed I guess.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The Astute-class submarines make less noise than a baby dolphin. That's what the experts have told us and that is who I believe. I believe them. I don't believe you, somebody who knows nothing whatsoever about the Astute-class submarines, or ANY submarines.
Nope.... Nothing at all. I only spent a few years in flight looking for them

Read your own article. The sound that pod will make underwater could be picked up by a six-year-old with a Mister Microphone.

BL.... You consistently prove another of my grandfather's truths (my "lying" Brit grandfather BTW) that one can always tell an Englishman - but one can never tell him much.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

So, the UK is building its fictional navy to the desires of fictional characters?

Better consult Sherlock Holmes and Albus Dumbledore.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
No. Britain has the world's fourth largest defence budget.
Ah, so it's the navy's boss that's deep in the red ink. That's not news. I can't think of one country that's in the black.

Ah, sorry to burst your sensitive little ego, but Canadian companies have been building ROVs (deepsea diving craft) for quite a while now. And they are for purposes that advance humanity's knowledge rather than destroying stuff. It's a much more noble pursuit.

lol If I want to sell one of my vehicles, I make sure its operable and clean first. Seems pretty boorish of you Brits to sell stuff without making sure its in working order and cleaned up. And there I was, thinking that the Brits had good manners. lol

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Nope.... Nothing at all.

Thought so. You know nothing about the new Astute-class submarines. Nothing. Except that, despite being so big, they make less noise than a baby dolphin.

Read your own article. The sound that pod will make underwater could be picked up by a six-year-old with a Mister Microphone.

I've looked at the article loads of times and I can see nothing in there that says these pods will be noisy.

But I have seen the bit of the article that says In a covert attack, the secret submarine pod will detach from the HMS Astute and head to its destination, absorbing sonar on the way to evade detection.

that one can always tell an Englishman - but one can never tell him much.

You can't tell us much because we're an ingenious and inventive race.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Thought so. You know nothing about the new Astute-class submarines. Nothing. Except that, despite being so big, they make less noise than a baby dolphin.
Not with that pod.
I've looked at the article loads of times and I can see nothing in there that says these pods will be noisy.

But I have seen the bit of the article that says In a covert attack, the secret submarine pod will detach from the HMS Astute and head to its destination, absorbing sonar on the way to evade detection.
Thought hadn't crossed their minds?

Next question would be how are you going to launch that "secret" submarine when the pod will have your sub under surveillance long before it reaches its objective. Sonabuoys are quite sensitive instruments
You can't tell us much because we're an ingenious and inventive race.
Thank Gawd for toilet paper

Last edited: