AB Premier- How long does she have ?


Goober
#1
Embattled Alberta Premier Alison Redford emerges from ‘no-holds barred’ Tory meeting with PC party’s support | National Post

Alberta Premier Alison Redford faced some tough questions at a party board meeting on Saturday, capping off what she admits has been a tough week.

But she and Progressive Conservative party president Jim McCormick emerged from the four-and-a-half-hour gathering showing a united front.

The “$45,000 question” was discussed, said McCormick, referring to the premier’s costly trip to South Africa to attend Nelson Mandela’s funeral in December.

“It was a wide-ranging no-holds barred discussion,” he said.

“The premier did an excellent job. She didn’t back away from any of the rather hard-hitting questions that she was asked. And she was very frank with us as we were very frank with her.”

The grilling took place at a regularly scheduled meeting with the party’s board of directors, including dozens of volunteers from across the province.

“The premier received a standing ovation,” said McCormick. “Absolutely everybody was on their feet.”

The party is hammering out a “work plan” for Redford to address some of the issues raised Saturday, but there were few details on what that would entail.

On Saturday, Redford declined to respond in detail to personal attacks that were levelled against her throughout the week.

“I would say, quite frankly, this has not been a highlight of a week for behaviour or very mature conversation on a lot of levels,” she said.

“I think a lot of people were quite emotional, probably said a lot of things that they regret and I think it’s time for us to try to move on and start to talk about what matters to Albertans, which is the future of the province.”

On Friday, the president of a Progressive Conservative riding association in northeast Edmonton said Redford must resign or the party will lose the next election.

Steve Robson, who heads the Tory association in the NDP-held seat of Edmonton-Beverly-Clareview, said Redford is an “arrogant” leader who doesn’t listen to her caucus and has no regard for the Tory establishment.

Redford said that no one at Saturday’s meeting asked her to resign.

On Thursday, Calgary backbencher Len Webber quit the Tory party to sit as an Independent. He claimed Redford was a bully prone to fits of rage.


“I think a lot of people have seen me almost every day for two and a half years, at least since I became the leader of the party,” said Redrod.

“I work very hard to work with people, to bring people together and I’ll continue to do that. Whether that means that everyone is going to have an opinion of me that is the same, I can’t comment on that. We don’t all agree on absolutely everything, but I do my best every day.”

Redford has been under fire for taking a $45,000 taxpayer-funded trip to attend Nelson Mandela’s memorial in South Africa.

She resisted calls to pay back the money for weeks, then cut a cheque Wednesday for the expenses.
 
JLM
+1 / -1
#2  Top Rated Post
With her propensity for spending taxpayer's money, she likely has allusions of being a Governor General, maybe that's what she has planned for her next stop.
She needs to be back by the kitchen stove!-

She and Hillary both!
 
Goober
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

With her propensity for spending taxpayer's money, she likely has allusions of being a Governor General, maybe that's what she has planned for her next stop.

Oh that cost was a no brainer to pay back but she waited to long. The other was her kids friends flying on Govt aircraft - the reasoning for the return trip were bogus,it should not even have been taken and she could have returned with the PM.

Next she has an expanded security detail.

But it is her low ratings in the polls along with as one MLA mentioned, not a nice lady.

Klein had that magic touch. He also had a policy of when an MLA asked for a meeting it was fast tracked. He had an excellent relationship with his caucus.
Ed also maintained a strong relationship with Caucus.

Redford has not.
 
JLM
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Oh that cost was a no brainer to pay back but she waited to long. The other was her kids friends flying on Govt aircraft - the reasoning for the return trip were bogus,it should not even have been taken and she could have returned with the PM.

Next she has an expanded security detail.

But it is her low ratings in the polls along with as one MLA mentioned, not a nice lady.

Klein had that magic touch. He also had a policy of when an MLA asked for a meeting it was fast tracked. He had an excellent relationship with his caucus.
Ed also maintained a strong relationship with Caucus.

Redford has not.

Her power has gone to her head perhaps! -
 
Goober
#6
My personal opinion- I do not think Redford gets it. She is highly qualified, worked in the big leagues. But she is on the ropes.
Yes I voted for her.

Alison Redford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The comment from the link says it all.
Kelly McParland: Alberta tries a real-time experiment in caucus democracy | National Post

A poll indicated that if an election was called today, the opposition Wildrose party would romp to victory, with 46 per cent support to 23 per cent for Redford’s Tories. “Do I have any hope in hell getting re-elected in 2016 under a work plan? Not really,” complained an unnamed, but clearly annoyed, member of Redford’s caucus.
 
JLM
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

My personal opinion- I do not think Redford gets it. She is highly qualified, worked in the big leagues. But she is on the ropes.
Yes I voted for her.

Alison Redford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The comment from the link says it all.
Kelly McParland: Alberta tries a real-time experiment in caucus democracy | National Post

A poll indicated that if an election was called today, the opposition Wildrose party would romp to victory, with 46 per cent support to 23 per cent for Redford’s Tories. “Do I have any hope in hell getting re-elected in 2016 under a work plan? Not really,” complained an unnamed, but clearly annoyed, member of Redford’s caucus.


Is Redford a "team player"?
 
Goober
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Is Redford a "team player"?

From what I gather, no. Top down leadership. Her caucus is not filled with dummies.
The sense of entitlement on the different plane trips just added fuel to the fire. If those did not cause the uproar, something else would have, and it has been simmering for some time.
 
JLM
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

From what I gather, no. Top down leadership. Her caucus is not filled with dummies.
The sense of entitlement on the different plane trips just added fuel to the fire. If those did not cause the uproar, something else would have, and it has been simmering for some time.


A smart leader tries to access the resources of the other players.
 
Goober
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

A smart leader tries to access the resources of the other players.

I do not doubt her intelligence but people skills are critical. Her caucus is critical. If you are constantly overriding them, prepare for a revolt.
The caucus along with the other Conservative power brokers will decide, and that will occur before the end of summer.
 
JLM
#11
She might be a bit of a micro manager!
 
Goober
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

She might be a bit of a micro manager!

From what little I can pick from the wheat and chaff of news reports is that it is more Imperial. No not the Oil company.
 
captain morgan
#13
I believe you mean that she is 'Imperious'.
 
JLM
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

I believe you mean that she is 'Imperious'.


Or impious! -
 

Similar Threads

0
SK Premier Pressures Obama
by petros | Jan 23rd, 2013
1
Alberta Premier Resigns
by FiveParadox | Jan 26th, 2011
24
Liberal Leadership (The Long Long Melodrama)
by Prairie_Ally | Apr 14th, 2006
no new posts