Haters Gonna Hate

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
NC school tells boy,9, to leave My Little Pony lunch bag at home, report says
Published March 15, 2014FoxNews.com
North Carolina school officials are telling a 9-year-old North Carolina who has been bullied for bringing a My Little Pony lunch bag to school to leave the bag at home.

Grayson Bruce and his mother say he is being shoved around by school bullies who think his favorite bag is for girls.

"They're taking it a little too far, with punching me, pushing me down, calling me horrible names, stuff that really shouldn't happen," Bruce told WLOS News13, an ABC affiliate in Asheville, N.C. "Most of the characters in the show are girls, and most of the people put it toward girls, most of the toys are girlie."

But Noreen told the station Thursday the school asked her son to leave the bag at home because it had become a distraction and was a "trigger for bullying."

She said that doesn’t make sense and wants the school to punish Grayson’s tormentors.

"It's promoting friendship, there's no bad words, there's no violence, it's hard to find that, even in cartoons now," she said.
Grayson has developed a following on Facebook after a friend made a support page for him.

Buncombe County Schools gave WLOS a statement that said: "An initial step was taken to immediately address a situation that had created a disruption in the classroom. Buncombe County Schools takes bullying very seriously, and we will continue to take steps to resolve this issue."

The My Little Pony Cartoon is a decades-old kids show that uses pony characters to emphasize the bonds of friendship.
Grayson is now using a different backpack.

NC school tells boy,9, to leave My Little Pony lunch bag at home, report says | Fox News

Hope their next step is a little smarter than blaming the victim.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
NC school tells boy,9, to leave My Little Pony lunch bag at home, report says

And quite rightly, too. My Little Pony is for girls. Stop taking that silly bag into school and he will stop getting bullied by the more sensible kids. Simples.

I still haven't got over the shock of that guy at my college who used to carry a pink Mr Men satchel.

Again, this is a non-story.

Grayson Bruce and his mother say he is being shoved around by school bullies who think his favorite bag is for girls.

"

What a laughably appropriate name he has got.

Here's another person called Grayson: Grayson Perry....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grayson_Perry

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
While MLP does focus on girls, there ARE male ponies portrayed (different from the original/Gen 1 series movie and shows which didn't have male ponies until I believe Gen 2 or 3) in larger roles.

It shouldn't matter what the supposed "Gender" of the show is made for, but the message, which is friendship, comraderie and overcoming odds. Glad this kid gets it and the bullies obviously need a good dose of that message for themselves.

Turn this around and I'll ask you, Blackleaf: say a girl came to school with a Transformers book bag. Would she deserve to be bullied too?

What kid deserves to be bullied? (answer, none and to think anything otherwise is perpetuating the bullying problems going on in schools today. When I was a kid I much prefered Transformers, GI Joe, Robotech and Voltron to the stupid girl cartoons. Thankfullly I wasn't bullied for liking that stuff like kids today would.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Our wee lil' ahab here tries like the liddle engine that couldn't. Mr Leaf seems to know how to handle small-time trollettes. Ain't no thang as the kiddies be prone to say.

also: ponies. :lol:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Starting a child off with "stop taking that to school to avoid bullying" leads to " stop wearing tight pants" " stop wearing mini skirts" " stop [ insert whatever thing is bothering someone else]"

Its not the responsibility of the person who's been targeted and victimized to AVOID being who they are. It's up to the parents of the bully's to teach their children compassion, empathy, and the little practiced skill of "ignoring"

Here is a video of the same thought process as this school has employed used on girls to avoid getting raped. a much different problem, but the advice given to this little boy and to women is of the same type.

The Official ‘How To Avoid Rape’ Satire. Inspired By Terrible Advice Everywhere.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Wait a minute on the surface makes sense to say leave the bag at home but its not that
simple. Our society created this belief system where they were going to social engineer
everything. Things they could control and things they could not control Every child is to
have their inner desires expressed without bullying or ridicule. If that is the policy they
set out to achieve they should have to live up to it. Remember it wasn't society that said
these things were off limits its the PC world of everyone must be nice. Didn't matter how
valid or stupid the scenario was it was to be the law.
Now are they saying they were wrong as a school system? Good heavens are they now
admitting they can't control every aspect of life? These are the same people who told
children to use their imagination and draw pictures. When one drew a pic of gun he was
suspended. A girl had a little gun on a bracelet and was suspended and now a kid brings
MY little pony lunch bag that threatens no one and they want to deprive the kid instead of
those who bully him. What is really being said is NO Bullying except in certain situations
we can't control. Maybe these school districts are going to have to learn they can't control
the lives and all actions of students or parents. Until they figure it out they have to side
with the child like it or not, they opened the door to this situation

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Damngrumpy, they've just released a study about cheating at university. The percent of cheaters has gone up. they believe it's because the students have come from an environment where their attendance has earned them a ribbon. With the "every child deserves a ribbon" , children are not learning their limits, or their true abilities and when they get to college they find that they aren't given a ribbon for attending. They have to perform and they don't know how.

Maybe bubble wrapping society is not teaching them that sometimes you fall down and get hurt.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
This is what some are condoning.

"They're taking it a little too far, with punching me, pushing me down, calling me horrible names, stuff that really shouldn't happen," Bruce told WLOS News13, an ABC affiliate in Asheville, N.C. "Most of the characters in the show are girls, and most of the people put it toward girls, most of the toys are girlie."

Not only the above, but bullying for certain things is OK as long as the school states it is.
The child is the problem not those that are bullying.
So where do you draw the line on unacceptable bullying. Religion, color, ethnicity, job status, status of parents, single, married, gay.

What is the problem here- the kid is being bullied for a bag.

We know that those traits are learned and if not addressed becomes ingrained behavior. And they only become worse if left alone.

What this kid did was not fit into stereotypical image we have for a male/female child. That thinking, for these that have it, well they use the same idiocy for adults as well.

What did this kid do that was so wrong?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Damngrumpy, they've just released a study about cheating at university. The percent of cheaters has gone up. they believe it's because the students have come from an environment where their attendance has earned them a ribbon. With the "every child deserves a ribbon" , children are not learning their limits, or their true abilities and when they get to college they find that they aren't given a ribbon for attending. They have to perform and they don't know how.

Maybe bubble wrapping society is not teaching them that sometimes you fall down and get hurt.
And they start the indoctrination young. A workmate has a 4 year old. She brings a little reader home at night. When she reads from it she is to get a ribbon. She loves reading. She wants more.

They asked the teacher for an extra book to be sent home with her.

They were told no! She must read at the same pace as the other children and no extra ribbons are to be given.

If she wants extra reading material they must get it themselves. She has reading material at home. She just is keen.

Keeping everyone in check at the same level is going to produce mediocrity. Dont's strive it won't be fair if you are better at something.
It's the wrong message to send.
Rather kids need to know some are better at some things than you are.
You excel in others.
It's all okay.

Everyone is not the same. But we should all be equal.