Ontario raw milk crusader Michael Schmidt loses conviction appeal

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Michael Schmidt says he’ll take his raw milk legal battle to the Supreme Court of Canada.

A farmer who has spent two decades fighting for the right to sell unpasteurized milk to willing buyers pledged to take his case to the country's highest court Tuesday after losing an appeal against his conviction for breaking public health laws.

Speaking minutes after the Ontario Court of Appeal ruling, an unbowed Michael Schmidt said he would continue with his milk operation and legal battle.

“Nothing really changes for me,” Schmidt told The Canadian Press.

“Our plan is to move right to the Supreme Court. That's the bottom line. We're not stopping here.”

In its ruling, the Ontario Court of Appeal upheld a 2011 conviction against Schmidt that saw him fined $9,150 under provincial health-protection laws.

more

Ontario raw milk crusader Michael Schmidt loses conviction appeal | Toronto Star

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
****ers are going to protect us to DEATH !! They try and shove all kinds of evil **** down out throats, that's fine but try and drink whole milk, of your own free will , knowing the "risk" and the bastards will **** you up. Free country my **** !!!!!
I drank whole milk that we got from a neighbour for I think fifteen cents a quart,some mornings it was still warm, some mornings it was half cream, some mornings it had a bit of cow **** in it. I drank from that cow till it died about 1960, so ten years,and now, at 63, I'm in perfect health, if I shaved I could easily pass for 40. I'm not saying it was all whole milk, booze and dope had a hand .
I just don't get it.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
They recently discovered the pure milk has good bacteria's .... sort of sounds like that cholesterol thing when all cholesterol was bad , then later revised that .... no .... there is good cholesterol.
This laws should be reviewed and revised with this new information.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
This is the perfect example of how the people who complain about living in a nanny state are complete idiots.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
People tell others what to do all the time.

When laws are in place to maintain the well being of others, we need to honour those laws.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Like buying and boarding horses at private stables for the occasional ride people have the option of buying or renting a cow and keeping it at the farms and getting raw milk

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
They recently discovered the pure milk has good bacteria's .... sort of sounds like that cholesterol thing when all cholesterol was bad , then later revised that .... no .... there is good cholesterol.
This laws should be reviewed and revised with this new information.

Beneficial bacteria in milk is not a new discovery. The problem is that milk is also a great host for tuberculosis, brucellosis, diphtheria, scarlet fever, Q-fever, Salmonella, Listeria, Staphylococcus.........

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
When laws get in the way of common sense or the right to make a choice, it's time to rethink those laws.

This is not a common sense choice.

Allowing widespread production of a harmful product should remain against the law.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
This is not a common sense choice.

Allowing widespread production of a harmful product should remain against the law.

Are you aware that dairy cattle are examined by veterinarians? Despite all caution, stuff happens. Did you hear about the Listeria outbreak from a Canadian meat packer? ...Salmonella from a burger palace? In a perfect world, there would be no chance of infection. This just ain't a perfect world. It can't be regulated into one.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Are you aware that dairy cattle are examined by veterinarians? Despite all caution, stuff happens. Did you hear about the Listeria outbreak from a Canadian meat packer? ...Salmonella from a burger palace? In a perfect world, there would be no chance of infection. This just ain't a perfect world. It can't be regulated into one.

I'm not looking for a perfect world, but the risks in widespread production of raw milk are too significant.

It's just not worth it.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
There won't be widespread production simply because no retail outlet is going to take the chance and a contract dairy farmer isn't going to risk losing his quota by selling to a rival

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't have an issue with it, provided that a batch isn't sold until the producer has test results to prove it's safe. Otherwise there will be more food born illness that is paid for by tax dollars in our healthcare system.

Other countries allow it, provided a certain level of safety is proven.

Beneficial bacteria in milk is not a new discovery. The problem is that milk is also a great host for tuberculosis, brucellosis, diphtheria, scarlet fever, Q-fever, Salmonella, Listeria, Staphylococcus.........

Yep, and to make matters worse, agriculture is a big source of antimicrobial resistance.