Bank of Montreal customer scammed for $87,000

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

Could it be he logged in to one of those fake BMO verification web sites from those scam e-mails going around...

Got an email this morning that purported to be from CRA... that said I had to log in to the included web site to claim $319.16 that I had coming....and I had just checked my bank account and $2900.** refund the exact amount I had claimed had just been direct deposited this morning

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Holy cow! That is unreal and completely ignorant of the bank to wait this long to give him his money back, they were 100% at fault.

But I guess they had other things to do.

How would the scammers be able to abscond with that much money w/o leaving a paper trail? I doubt if it was paid in cash. It was likely deposited somewhere. I know for a fact if you show up at the bank with $10000 cash or more there's lots of paper work to fill out and some substantiation.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
How would the scammers be able to abscond with that much money w/o leaving a paper trail? I doubt if it was paid in cash. It was likely deposited somewhere. I know for a fact if you show up at the bank with $10000 cash or more there's lots of paper work to fill out and some substantiation.

They said in the article they think there may have been an inside person involved and it may have originated in an overseas operation of the bank.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
plus removing your money is easier than putting it in...I know that sounds strange but you must be able to "prove" where the money came from. One of my girlfriends was married to a professional gambler. Some of the larger deposits such as 40 grand would always be a problem to deposit.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Even if an offshore insider is involved BMO should have more risk management controls in place to prevent that from happening. They dropped the ball on many levels. And why is a PR guy dealing with an operational problem? It sounds like a complete farce.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
BMO's blase attitude towards the whole thing is quite disconcerting. If it wouldn't be such a pain in the *** to do, I would close my account and move it to where my other account is (a Credit Union).

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Even if an offshore insider is involved BMO should have more risk management controls in place to prevent that from happening. They dropped the ball on many levels. And why is a PR guy dealing with an operational problem? It sounds like a complete farce.

Lol. The PR guy who gives that kind of statement to the press is not the right guy to be in PR.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Actually to put things in perspective, $87 grand probably represents the money that bank earns in two minutes, so maybe instead of being too vigilant it is in their better interest just to pay out a claim once in awhile and bide their time while the cops track the A$$hole down.