Who Say's Charity dosen't begin at home

tay
A businessman who stole more than half a million pounds from charitable donations has been ordered to pay back just £1,620 after he blew the fortune on luxury holidays.

Harris Polak, 54, organised bucket collections outside supermarkets in Merseyside for a number of charities, including Cancer Relief UK, raising a total of £655,000 between 2007 and 2011.

But instead of sending the money from the buckets back to the charities he claimed to be working for, Polak, from Childwall near Liverpool, used it to pay for luxury holidays, a car and his mortgage.

Zipperfish
+1
I've been doing this for years. It's a great way to raise money.

IdRatherBeSkiing
And he can keep doing it. 1/3% penalty.

BornRuff
Link?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

Link?

No, Harris. Link is the other guy.

BornRuff
+1
Man who stole £655,000 from charity ordered to pay back just £1,620 | Mail Online

Lol, one or two details have been omitted from the original post.

The guy is serving a 45 month sentence for his crime.

The £1,620 figure is not all that the judge saw fit to make him pay back. It is the value of all of his assets that they could find and force him to sell.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

A businessman who stole more than half a million pounds from charitable donations has been ordered to pay back just £1,620 after he blew the fortune on luxury holidays.

Harris Polak, 54, organised bucket collections outside supermarkets in Merseyside for a number of charities, including Cancer Relief UK, raising a total of £655,000 between 2007 and 2011.

But instead of sending the money from the buckets back to the charities he claimed to be working for, Polak, from Childwall near Liverpool, used it to pay for luxury holidays, a car and his mortgage.

Tough to get blood out of a stone and sending him to jail just exacerbates the situation, but if he keeps it up someone will kill him.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

Man who stole £655,000 from charity ordered to pay back just £1,620 | Mail Online

Lol, one or two details have been omitted from the original post.

The guy is serving a 45 month sentence for his crime.

The £1,620 figure is not all that the judge saw fit to make him pay back. It is the value of all of his assets that they could find and force him to sell.

Moral is if you steal it -- spend it quickly. And enjoy a 3 years of free room and board (accounting for parole).

SLM
+2
#9  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Sadly that's nothing new.

Fraudster who exploited sick children sent back to jail | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

I think for purposes such as this they should bring back a form of indentured servitude. Garnish the bastards til the cows come home.

Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

I've been doing this for years. It's a great way to raise money.

Not even remotely funny.

Machjo
How about work for charity for a few years? I'm sure the prison system could accommodate that.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Sadly that's nothing new.

Fraudster who exploited sick children sent back to jail | Ontario | News | Toronto Sun

I think for purposes such as this they should bring back a form of indentured servitude. Garnish the bastards til the cows come home.

I'd like to see the bastard get three years in jail spent breaking rocks for 12 hours a day with a 12 lb. hammer. - And that's for 7 days a week.

SLM
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I'd like to see the bastard get three years in jail spent breaking rocks for 12 hours a day with a 12 lb. hammer. - And that's for 7 days a week.

I'd rather see restitution, leave the prisons for the truly violent and dangerous. Besides, making them earn and then pay all that money back would really be hitting them where it hurts, so it meets the conditions of punishment as well.

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

How about work for charity for a few years? I'm sure the prison system could accommodate that.

No need to punish the charities even more.

JLM

I'd rather see restitution, leave the prisons for the truly violent and dangerous. Besides, making them earn and then pay all that money back would really be hitting them where it hurts, so it meets the conditions of punishment as well.

You make a good point there, maybe have him show up at a rock quarry every day for 12 hours of rock breaking.

Machjo
+1

Making them break rocks just for punishment is senseless. But I'm sure there is some economically productive work they could do to pay it back. If it can just be deducted from their income, great, with an agreement that if they leave the country they must continue to contribute. If not, prison it is where we can supervise the work, but again, not busy work but actuall economically productive work.

JLM

Making them break rocks just for punishment is senseless.

Not if it makes them think twice about reoffending.

L Gilbert
+2
Yeah, I'm also big on the payback idea as opposed to lengthy prison terms and exercise routines such as breaking rocks.

Machjo
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Not if it makes them think twice about reoffending.

Economically productive work could do the same and also help pay for the cost of incarceration or, if they aren't imprisoned, then contribute to the victims.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Yeah, I'm also big on the payback idea as opposed to lengthy prison terms and exercise routines such as breaking rocks.

It's amazing what some would be able to do with one of those fancy schmancy ankle bracelets. I'm particularly in favour of this type of consequence for crimes that scam people out of a lot of money, but any non-violent crime could be a contender. I think if someone is violent then you need the prisons to protect society from those individuals.

At least that's the way I'd do it if I were Queen of the Universe.

Machjo
+1
If you were Queen of the Universe, you'd be my wife

L Gilbert
+1

It's amazing what some would be able to do with one of those fancy schmancy ankle bracelets. I'm particularly in favour of this type of consequence for crimes that scam people out of a lot of money, but any non-violent crime could be a contender. I think if someone is violent then you need the prisons to protect society from those individuals.

At least that's the way I'd do it if I were Queen of the Universe.

I think you'd make a wonderful queen (taking fer granted that the power wouldn't corrupt you).

If you were Queen of the Universe, you'd be my wife

So, you'd be the Prince Phlip to her QE2. Cool. I like the addled old dude.

SLM
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

I think you'd make a wonderful queen (taking fer granted that the power wouldn't corrupt you).

Everybody can eat cake!

That ought to shut them all up!

LOL

L Gilbert
+1

Everybody can eat cake!

That ought to shut them all up!

LOL

Cool. Pie is better but what the hay, can't be too choosy.