Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do not know

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...vehicle-stolen-outside-grand-prairie-alberta/

The infant was left in her car seat on a porch at a home south of Grande Prairie a few hours after she was abducted. RCMP said there appeared to be no injuries, but the child was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

Cpl. Roy Kennedy says it appears the driver had left the vehicle running with the child inside.

The seven-month old baby girl named Addison was kidnapped on Tuesday after she was left in the back of a pickup-truck that was stolen from outside a residence in the Grande Prairie neighbourhood of Royal Oaks.

Seven-month-old Alberta baby in stolen truck has been found, three arrested - The Globe and Mail
Baby Addison – a seven-month-old child wearing pink pants and a pink tunic with blue and pink hearts on it – was in the back of a Dodge Ram pickup truck in Grande Prairie, Alta., Tuesday afternoon when the truck was stolen.

About two hours later, the infant, still in her car seat, was found on a porch in a rural area 10 or 15 minutes out of town. Coincidence, it appears, saved her from freezing to death. She was abducted between 12:30 p.m. (MT) and 1 p.m. and discovered around 3 pm. It was -16, with a wind chill of -23 in Grande Prairie an hour later.

That is when a foot chase involving police ensued.

Around 4:15, with help from a tip from the public and an RCMP helicopter, authorities located the stolen truck. It was found at a forestry products mill south of Grande Prairie. A foot chase kicked off behind the mill, and police were able to take three people into custody, the RCMP said in a statement.

It appears the resident who found Addison on her porch went outside by chance, rather than hearing the baby’s abductors ring the doorbell or knock on the door, Corporal Roy Kennedy of Grande Prairie’s RCMP detachment said.

“Probably not every day that you go outside of your residence and find an abandoned infant on your step or front porch,” he said.

Addison, who was not wearing any shoes when she was abducted, was taken to the Queen Elizabeth II Hospital in Grande Prairie. Cpl. Kennedy does not know whether she has been reunited with her parents. Addison appeared unharmed when she was found, the RCMP said.

The RCMP has yet to lay any charges.

Cpl. Kennedy said the home where Addison was found is south of Grande Prairie on a township road.

The RCMP is not releasing Addison’s parents’ names at this time.

The recovered truck has a pink sticker on the tailgate. “Baby on board,” it says.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
They stole the truck with a kid in it there should be a number of charges here.
theft over five thousand dollars, if it was in a yard or driveway Criminal Trespass,
How is kidnapping? they could have left the truck as soon as they saw the child.
child abandonment then the matter of leaving the kid in the cold Neglect the Criminal
version and any others they can think of. In addition they should get six months for
Stupidity.
The mother, we don't know the intent here. The truck is running and she forgets
a baby bottle, a wallet, anything and runs into the house to grab it. Happens every
day. No they shouldn't charge the mother when you think about it but they should
ensure she doesn't do it again

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Not aware of if and who left the babay.
Charges as Les stated, light yes, 15 - 30 day max, weekends or even community service where she should speak to the dangers would be better, reason being it sends a message.
And this is a social media world.
And kidnapping for the thieves.

barra

Nominee Member
Dec 28, 2013
They stole the truck with a kid in it there should be a number of charges here.
theft over five thousand dollars, if it was in a yard or driveway Criminal Trespass,
How is kidnapping? they could have left the truck as soon as they saw the child.
child abandonment then the matter of leaving the kid in the cold Neglect the Criminal
version and any others they can think of. In addition they should get six months for
Stupidity.
The mother, we don't know the intent here. The truck is running and she forgets
a baby bottle, a wallet, anything and runs into the house to grab it. Happens every
day. No they shouldn't charge the mother when you think about it but they should
ensure she doesn't do it again

Good points!
Yes, that could happen, but she went into a house rather than ask the person to come outside. I have a problem with leaving any vehicle running, let alone a baby inside. I lived in - weather climate when the girls were babies, and checked and double checked before I left the house.

Never, ever left the baby in the vehicle, let alone a running vehicle. Maybe stood at the side of a vehicle if baby was still napping, and let my husband run in for something or a family member.

I remember one time picking kids up for Catechism, and left the van door open while gathering the kids to go - my turn to car pool. One child jumped in - 3 years old - he was not supposed to even come with us - and he jumped in drivers seat so fast - put it into gear - I jumped in the rolling van (big hill) and put it back in gear. After that, I never moved a few feet away when picking up the kids.

Kids will do the darndest things. But never, ever leave a child unattended in a vehicle. If this mother had a cell phone, she could call her friend to come out if she was picking something up. etc.

Still does not excuse people from stealing her vehicle. And leaving baby on a doorstep without checking to see if someone was home. WOW. so negligent and sad.

But, again, I remember the days our parents (not just ours) would pop into the pub for a quick beer (sometimes more than a quick one) and leave us kids in the car. All 4 of us or more - as more came along. Those were the good ol' days. How we survived - I don't know.

Now people stealing vehicles with babies in cars, so worrisome.