• Leave it to consulting only with RCMP elected Reps

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Should the RCMP be allowed to unionize?
If not, should they be allowed to have binding arbitration settle pay, benefits, grievances etc.

RCMP officers bring union bid to Supreme Court - Politics - CBC News

RCMP members are before the Supreme Court of Canada making a final pitch for their right to form an independent union.

They are appealing an Ontario Court of Appeal decision which found that federal labour laws which exclude RCMP members from collective bargaining do not violate the Charter of Rights.

RCMP regulations provide for elected staff-relations representatives who are to be consulted on staff and pay issues.

The Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada says that's not good enough and has been fighting for the right to collective bargaining.

The association won a victory in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in 2009, but that was overturned on appeal in 2012.

There are about 18,000 uniformed Mounties in the national force.

The association argues that denying them the right to unionize threatens collective bargaining rights generally.

Some major labour bodies, including the Canadian Labour Congress and the Public Service Alliance of Canada, are interveners in the case.

Rae Banwarie, the association's president, said the challenge could prove to be a landmark case, especially if the court sides with the RCMP and the staff relations representatives system.

"It will be the beginning of the end for collective bargaining in Canada, as employers could justifiably impose labour programs and deny employees the right to select independent associations to bargain on their behalf," he said.

"Canadians deserve better. This unchecked power is not acceptable in a just and democratic society."

Lawyers for the Attorney General of Canada argued at the appeal court that the staff representative system more than meets constitutional scrutiny.

They said the reps are elected to provide fair and equitable representation to management and to participate in developing policy and procedures that affect employment.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Should the RCMP be allowed to unionize?
If not, should they be allowed to have binding arbitration settle pay, benefits, grievances etc.

RCMP officers bring union bid to Supreme Court - Politics - CBC News

RCMP members are before the Supreme Court of Canada making a final pitch for their right to form an independent union.

They are appealing an Ontario Court of Appeal decision which found that federal labour laws which exclude RCMP members from collective bargaining do not violate the Charter of Rights.

RCMP regulations provide for elected staff-relations representatives who are to be consulted on staff and pay issues.

The Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada says that's not good enough and has been fighting for the right to collective bargaining.

The association won a victory in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice in 2009, but that was overturned on appeal in 2012.

There are about 18,000 uniformed Mounties in the national force.

The association argues that denying them the right to unionize threatens collective bargaining rights generally.

Some major labour bodies, including the Canadian Labour Congress and the Public Service Alliance of Canada, are interveners in the case.

Rae Banwarie, the association's president, said the challenge could prove to be a landmark case, especially if the court sides with the RCMP and the staff relations representatives system.

"It will be the beginning of the end for collective bargaining in Canada, as employers could justifiably impose labour programs and deny employees the right to select independent associations to bargain on their behalf," he said.

"Canadians deserve better. This unchecked power is not acceptable in a just and democratic society."

Lawyers for the Attorney General of Canada argued at the appeal court that the staff representative system more than meets constitutional scrutiny.

They said the reps are elected to provide fair and equitable representation to management and to participate in developing policy and procedures that affect employment.

No, I think we are probably paying enough for law enforcement as is without having to fund another layer of parasites.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
For now! -:)

Are you aware of how a Para Military Org works- How you can be completely shut down due to networking- and guess what- SFA you can do about it.

Note the harassment against women.
A ton of dirt that has never seen the light of day.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
NO. I do not believe that any government employees should belong to a union or have the right to strike. They must not be permitted to be able to hold taxpayers ransom because they have a monopoly service. Their pay and perks should be commensurate with similar jobs in the private sector with binding arbitration to settle disagreements. Pay would be based on job position, not on years of service or degrees held.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
NO. I do not believe that any government employees should belong to a union or have the right to strike. They must not be permitted to be able to hold taxpayers ransom because they have a monopoly service. Their pay and perks should be commensurate with similar jobs in the private sector with binding arbitration to settle disagreements. Pay would be based on job position, not on years of service or degrees held.

And how should pay, benefits, grievances addressed.

In the 80 we in the Military, upon posting received 1 months pay- Around 98/2000 or so, the Logistics Branch Chief was addressing the Snr. NCO's Warrant at our Edmonton Mess.

I asked a question - was the months pay, (married) 1/2 months pay (single) removed from our pay raise for that year. Reply was yes.
At that time other Govt employees did receive that benefit, the Military was last on the list.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Many of them don't.

WHat government agency other than schools does not have a monopoly? And even they have to follow government guidelines. SOme like Canada post even have a law prohibiting competition. We can't even get off this island without using a ferry run by government employees that have been known to hold us hostage for their pay demands.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
WHat government agency other than schools does not have a monopoly? And even they have to follow government guidelines. SOme like Canada post even have a law prohibiting competition. We can't even get off this island without using a ferry run by government employees that have been known to hold us hostage for their pay demands.

Schools have a near monopoly- when they go on strike, the impact is immense.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Schools have a near monopoly- when they go on strike, the impact is immense.

My point. That is why government employees must not be permitted to have traditional unions. This is how with their militant unions government employees have gotten so far ahead of private enterprise employees in pay and perks. In the real world we have been lucky to hold even, especially in non union places while government employees have been gaining to the point most taxpayers are making significantly less than public servants.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I can only judge from what I've seen after nearly 30 years of being Unionized, so I'm only judging by one Union.............far too much dead weight and protection of the drones and parasites. Any raises we did get were more than offset by the loss of pay while on strike. One of their main arguments is "when we get you a two bit raise that raise goes on forever" BULLSH*T, we all die or retire eventually. For this particular thread I just ask is it going to result in less crime at lower costs?

The RCMP should be disbanded.

I think you are on the right track, but perhaps a little too severe. Let's not lose the good cops we do have, just identify the bad apples and "deep six" them, and I'm certain that won't happen with a Union.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Again I ask, how are reasonable issues like harassment, abuse of authority, pay rates addressed.
Must have missed the answers????

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Again I ask, how are reasonable issues like harassment, abuse of authority, pay rates addressed.
Must have missed the answers????

How much of this would a Union address or would they only make it worse?

Upon pondering the matter for an hour or so, I do have a couple of questions? We've had numerous instances of serious complaints in recent years about the actions of the R.C.M.P. There was the fatal one at Y.V.R. seven years ago, there was the death of Ian Bush at the police detachment at Houston B.C. and there was the assault of Buddy Tevares at Kelowna about three years ago. How would a Union accelerate the conclusion of these three cases, without causing further annoyance to the public? Don't you think if we are going to add to the payroll at mainly taxpayer expense there has to be an offset in reduced policing costs?

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
How much of this would a Union address or would they only make it worse?

Upon pondering the matter for an hour or so, I do have a couple of questions? We've had numerous instances of serious complaints in recent years about the actions of the R.C.M.P. There was the fatal one at Y.V.R. seven years ago, there was the death of Ian Bush at the police detachment at Houston B.C. and there was the assault of Buddy Tevares at Kelowna about three years ago. How would a Union accelerate the conclusion of these three cases, without causing further annoyance to the public? Don't you think if we are going to add to the payroll at mainly taxpayer expense there has to be an offset in reduced policing costs?
Yes I have many of the same questions & no answers-it's such an awful situation with so much obvious dead wood in the organisation already.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
The corruption issues should probably be dealt with before this one. Allowing them to unionize right now would likely only make things worse in the corruption department.