New Jersey towns lacking salt due to American flag issue

Locutus
Way to go Washington. Maybe fix this stupid rule ok.

There is a statewide shortage of rock salt because of the harsh winter and a ship willing to transport 40,000 tons is not cleared to arrive to the state because it does not meet a 1920 federal law to fly a U.S. flag.

New Jersey's crisis over rock salt is due to an American flag.

State transportation officials say a 40,000-ton shipment of rock salt, badly needed across the state, cannot make its planned shipment from Maine to Newark because the ship does not have an American flag.

The 1920 federal Maritime Act requires the shipment to arrive on a vessel flying a U.S. flag, and so far the federal government has not issued a waiver.

more nonsense

New Jersey towns lacking salt due to American flag* - NY Daily News (external - login to view)

SLM
Ok. U.S. wins the bureaucratic boondoggle of the year award. That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard in my life.

tay
I have to wonder who checked the Statute and who looked at the ship to check on the flag...........

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

I have to wonder who checked the Statute and who looked at the ship to check on the flag...........

It's not an obscure rule. The Jones Act has been strictly enforced for over 90 years. Another instance of gubmint making a feel good law that turns to crap when enacted.
Last edited by Walter; Feb 18th, 2014 at 07:58 AM..