Washington about to make same-sex marriage compulsory


Locutus
#1
Well, well, well...this ought to be interesting.

State to same-sex domestic partners: You’re about to be married

On June 30, the state of Washington will convert to marriage the domestic partnerships of thousands of gay and lesbian couples who have not gotten married on their own or not gotten a legal dissolution

Thousands of gay and lesbian domestic partners who have not married or legally dissolved their unions by the end of June will have their relationships automatically converted to marriage — courtesy of the state.

It’s the final piece of the state’s same-sex marriage law — a provision about which many couples are apparently unaware and one sure to trigger some uncomfortable conversations.

Although domestic partnerships are essentially marriage by a different name, “people don’t think of them as the same thing ...” said Jason Holloway, president of QLaw Association, the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender bar association.

Those being plunged into matrimony will no doubt include couples who simply hadn’t given it much thought.



more


State to same-sex domestic partners: You’re about to be married | Local News | The Seattle Times
 
taxslave
+2
#2
DO heterosexual couples get the same free service by the state?
 
lone wolf
+3
#3  Top Rated Post
Gotta be some lawyer's idea. Lots of people lose their best friends by marrying them....
 
El Barto
#4
In Quebec , any couple . male and female to live 2 or three years together have that same rights as those who are married. This sounds similar but ....
 
Cannuck
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

DO heterosexual couples get the same free service by the state?

Pretty much. If you live common law with somebody, you may as well get married. The solution is to remove marital status from the tax system. It's no business of the governments anyway
 
taxslave
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Pretty much. If you live common law with somebody, you may as well get married. The solution is to remove marital status from the tax system. It's no business of the governments anyway

WE had a blanket wedding.
 
Sal
+2
#7
huh? what if they don't want to be married? would this not then entail a legal separation if needed

I can see the benefit from a medical perspective where only the spouse or family can make decisions...this move would simplify that
 
El Barto
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

huh? what if they don't want to be married? would this not then entail a legal separation if needed

I can see the benefit from a medical perspective where only the spouse or family can make decisions...this move would simplify that

Very good point
 
Cannuck
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

huh? what if they don't want to be married?

They should be treated like everybody else. They should be living common law if they don't want to be married. My question is, what's going to happen if two heterosexual people live together as roommates. Do you have to now tell the state government where you stick your ***** each night? If not, how do they know who are roommates and who are couples
 
BaalsTears
-1
#10
If a male and female are legally married, but one of them enters into a same sex domestic partnership without a prior divorce, will the conversion create bigamy?
 
JLM
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

DO heterosexual couples get the same free service by the state?

Wouldn't they pretty well have to avoid the accusation of sexual prejudice?

Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

If a male and female are legally married, but one of them enters into a same sex domestic partnership without a prior divorce, will the conversion create bigamy?

By law it would have to. -
 
Goober
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

In Quebec , any couple . male and female to live 2 or three years together have that same rights as those who are married. This sounds similar but ....

Nope- They do not.
 
L Gilbert
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Well, well, well...this ought to be interesting.

State to same-sex domestic partners: You’re about to be married

On June 30, the state of Washington will convert to marriage the domestic partnerships of thousands of gay and lesbian couples who have not gotten married on their own or not gotten a legal dissolution

Thousands of gay and lesbian domestic partners who have not married or legally dissolved their unions by the end of June will have their relationships automatically converted to marriage — courtesy of the state.

It’s the final piece of the state’s same-sex marriage law — a provision about which many couples are apparently unaware and one sure to trigger some uncomfortable conversations.

Although domestic partnerships are essentially marriage by a different name, “people don’t think of them as the same thing ...” said Jason Holloway, president of QLaw Association, the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender bar association.

Those being plunged into matrimony will no doubt include couples who simply hadn’t given it much thought.



more


State to same-sex domestic partners: You’re about to be married | Local News | The Seattle Times

Well, that's just taking the issue from a good idea into a bizarre idea. Why not just make the conversion elective? Geeeeeeeeeezez politicians modes of thought are surreal.
 
no new posts