Abusive Boyfriend Picked the Wrong Corner Store to Beat and Choke His Girlfriend In

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Bystanders in a California convenience store tackled a man who was choking his girlfriend and restrained him until law enforcement officials were able to sort out the situation. And it was all caught on video.

The incident began Wednesday morning outside the Flower Street Market in Bakersfield, Calif., when the man police identified as Aidan Jose Cruz, 21, began arguing with his girlfriend. The argument soon escalated to assault, forcing the woman to flee inside the nearby shop for help.

He followed the woman, whose name will not be released because she is the victim of domestic violence, and resumed beating her.
At first, as is evident from the store’s security footage, bystanders were hesitant to come to the woman’s aid. But after a few moments, customers inside the shop grabbed hold of the suspect and brought him to the ground.

A copy of store’s security footage was uploaded to the Internet on Wednesday.

Abusive Boyfriend Picked the Wrong Corner Store to Beat and Choke His Girlfriend In | Video | TheBlaze.com

Cholo beats his girlfriend in my store taken down by employees - YouTube

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Which begs the question, is there a 'right store' to do that in? I'm going to go out on a limb and say. 'No.'

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
This guy is an idiot. I hope this ended their relationship. Unfortunately quite a few people chose to stay with abusive partners.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Bystanders in a California convenience store tackled a man who was choking his girlfriend and restrained him until law enforcement officials were able to sort out the situation. And it was all caught on video.

The incident began Wednesday morning outside the Flower Street Market in Bakersfield, Calif., when the man police identified as Aidan Jose Cruz, 21, began arguing with his girlfriend. The argument soon escalated to assault, forcing the woman to flee inside the nearby shop for help.

He followed the woman, whose name will not be released because she is the victim of domestic violence, and resumed beating her.
At first, as is evident from the store’s security footage, bystanders were hesitant to come to the woman’s aid. But after a few moments, customers inside the shop grabbed hold of the suspect and brought him to the ground.

A copy of store’s security footage was uploaded to the Internet on Wednesday.

Abusive Boyfriend Picked the Wrong Corner Store to Beat and Choke His Girlfriend In | Video | TheBlaze.com

Cholo beats his girlfriend in my store taken down by employees - YouTube

I imagine that the bystanders momentarily hesitated as they weren't sure if the guy had a weapon on him. Far too many times the people trying to help the victim end up being wounded/killed as well. I'm glad that they were able to help the woman in this case, as I doubt he would have stopped on his own, and she could have been killed.

I just noticed something. At the 2:23 mark of the video, did he get his pocket picked while he was on the ground? It certainly looked that way!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I imagine that the bystanders momentarily hesitated as they weren't sure if the guy had a weapon on him. Far too many times the people trying to help the victim end up being wounded/killed as well. I'm glad that they were able to help the woman in this case, as I doubt he would have stopped on his own, and she could have been killed.

I just noticed something. At the 2:23 mark of the video, did he get his pocket picked while he was on the ground? It certainly looked that way!
I don't think it looked like anyone hesitated the guy came out of the back and as soon as he processed it, he stepped in. Also I noted that but wondered if a customer had seen a weapon and then removed it from his reach.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't think it looked like anyone hesitated the guy came out of the back and as soon as he processed it, he stepped in. Also I noted that but wondered if a customer had seen a weapon and then removed it from his reach.

I didn't really note much in the way of hesitation either, processing time sounds more accurate. How often do you come out of a room to find someone in the process of having the life choked out of them right in front of you?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

That could be it. It could also have been the keys to his bicycle lock. All the cool thugs ride bikeys, don't ya know?.;)

This is why cameras are so important at a convenience store and to hell with privacy laws

I'm not sure how much privacy one can expect to have in a public place such as a convenience store anyhow.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

It looks like she picks something up and then holds it up for everyone to see. No idea what it was but it doesn't seem like she was trying to hide whatever she grabbed.

Which begs the question, is there a 'right store' to do that in? I'm going to go out on a limb and say. 'No.'

Considering he didn't get shot or beat to a pulp, you might say this turned out to be one of the better possible locations for him to do this.