More skulduggery in Ottawa

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
It sounds like the senate is just really poorly organized. When you have all of these people doing all of this travel, why is each senator making their own travel arrangements?

Individual senators shouldn't be buying tickets in packs of 10 or 12. Administrators in the senate should be making deals with airlines for the hundreds of flights taken by all of the senators each year. They should be getting preferential rates, not what appears to be the worst rates possible.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It sounds like the senate is just really poorly organized. When you have all of these people doing all of this travel, why is each senator making their own travel arrangements?

Individual senators shouldn't be buying tickets in packs of 10 or 12. Administrators in the senate should be making deals with airlines for the hundreds of flights taken by all of the senators each year. They should be getting preferential rates, not what appears to be the worst rates possible.

And it might help a bit if the wives remained at home close to the sink!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
At the sink they can draw water to boil on the stove to do the laundry and the floors so their exhausted husband/spouse/partner/appendage comes home to a tidy organized environment for his recouperation and enjoyment. The Senators deserve no such consideration.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
MPs have a set number of flights that they can take their significant other with them on between Ottawa and home. I always thought the same rule applied to the senate. That being said one would think a deal could be made for bulk buying. They can also hitchhike on military flights
COuld be CBC never bothered to check exactly what the rule are before exposing the spending.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
MPs have a set number of flights that they can take their significant other with them on between Ottawa and home. I always thought the same rule applied to the senate. That being said one would think a deal could be made for bulk buying. They can also hitchhike on military flights
COuld be CBC never bothered to check exactly what the rule are before exposing the spending.
WestJet doesn't have first class. Come fall Jetlines will beat WestJet by around half for airfares.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I'd be f'n embarrassed, too.

If you couldn't get the numbers from the Gliberal senators, try the airlines. I am pretty sure the airlines' numbers would be more accurate and uncooked than the Gliberals numbers would be.

Monetary compensation for all the ill-health and discontinued well-being that separation from family? Yeah, I am sure money repairs health. Next time I get a cut, I'll tape a looney to it to fix it.

"'I think that you've picked the absolute worst possible month in which to highlight my expenses, and I stand behind them embarrassed,' Tannas said in an interview." I'm pretty sure he could easily get over his embarrassment.

"'This really beats the $18 glass of orange juice," Prof. Greene said, referring to the controversy over former international co-operation minister Bev Oda, who expensed a costly glass of orange juice while at a conference in England." Ya think?

"'It is extraordinary when they could have done it for much less than that.'" No sh|t, Sherlock.

"In total, Plett spent just over $12,000. He was not in favour of suspending the three senators whose fate was being debated at the time." Yeah, that would have been totally out-of-character.

"He was one of the few senators who abstained from the vote to suspend Wallin, Duffy and Brazeau." Also out-of-character. But abstention? Too chicken to look like an a$$hat, huh?

"Greene, the public policy professor, said the rules around travel spending for senators are just too vague. Over the years, he said, that's likely resulted in one of two possible realities.

"One is that in the past, senators could be trusted not to lavishly spend in terms of expenses, and most exercise good judgment," Greene said. The second possibility? "It could be that it's been going on for a long time and continued because they could get away with it."

3rd might be both of the above.

Does anyone here think that the senators spend their own money like this? :D

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I seriously don't get why senators get to travel at all besides going home. There should be so many trips home allowed that is paid per year and the rest should be picked up by the senator. It would limit his expenses and we wouldn't need to audit their a$$es, which that too would save us money. Hell that should be the same for every MP. There is a Club Med mentality with the Canadian taxpayers money.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I seriously don't get why senators get to travel at all besides going home. There should be so many trips home allowed that is paid per year and the rest should be picked up by the senator. It would limit his expenses and we wouldn't need to audit their a$$es, which that too would save us money. Hell that should be the same for every MP. There is a Club Med mentality with the Canadian taxpayers money.

Senators should only be able to claim travel expense when sent somewhere to perform their duties. M.P.s should be able to claim expenses to and from their home riding each time parliament is in session. Flying back and forth on weekends to perform conjugal activities should be at their expense.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Everyone or no one. Take your pick. DOes make you wonder why government has none of the checks and balance private companies have. Or even a logistics dept. to take care of travel.
Most large companies have travel agents on staff who find the most cost effective and efficient way of getting employees from point A to B.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The good thing about all this. People are pissed off. When people are pissed off they turn out to vote in droves and put more thought and scrutiny into what is being offered.