Two Quebec teens charged with first-degree murder in triple homicide

spaminator
Three bodies found in home in Trois-Rivieres, Que.
QMI Agency
First posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:27 AM EST | Updated: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 02:35 PM EST
TROIS-RIVIERES, QUE. — Police have arrested two teenage boys after finding three bodies Tuesday morning in a home in this city northeast of Montreal.
Officers were called to the house in west-end Trois-Rivieres around 8 a.m. and found the boys outside.
Police discovered the corpses of three young adults inside.
The teenagers were taken to a local precinct for questioning.
Investigators set up a command post and the entire neighbourhood was roped off.
Police spokesman Michel Letarte did not reveal a possible motive, but said the homicides were not gang related.
Trois-Rivieres Mayor Yves Levesque lives in the same district.
"Who would have thought this could have happened to us," he said. "Our thoughts are now for the family. This is an incredible tragedy. I hope the people who did this will be punished."
- With files from Joany Dufresne
Three bodies found in home in Trois-Rivieres, Que. | Canada | News | Toronto Sun (external - login to view)

Goober
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle16828822/

The Crown has asked that the accused be tried as adults, which a lawyer for one of the two said would have an impact if they were found guilty.

“In the case of first-degree murder where the accused is an adult, the sentence is generally 25 years,” Rene Duval told reporters in Trois-Rivieres on Wednesday.

“There’s a provision in the law that says the maximum is 10 years when the accused is 17 or 16.”

Sentencing of Young Persons - Youth Justice (external - login to view)

Adult Sentences

While in most cases judges impose one of the youth sentencing options in the YCJA, the Act does allow judges to impose an adult sentence on a youth who is found guilty of a serious offence and was 14 years of age or older when the crime was committed. In fact, prosecutors are obligated to consider seeking an adult sentence when a youth is found guilty of murder, attempted murder, manslaughter or aggravated sexual assault. However, the Act allows provinces to raise the age at which this obligation applies to 15 or 16.

When a judge decides to impose an adult sentence, the Criminal Code penalties for adult offenders are applied to the youth. This can include mandatory minimum penalties and sentences of up to life imprisonment. However, no portion of either an adult or youth sentence can be served in an adult prison while the youth is still under the age of 18.

Walter
If they did it cut their balls off.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

If they did it cut their balls off.

The article notes they were apprehended leaving the building.

WLDB
+1
If you're just going to ask to try everyone under 18 as an adult why bother having two systems at all? As ive said many times before im not against trying teens as adults but if you are going to do so be consistent and give the law abiding teens the same rights and privileges that come with being an adult.

Goober
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

If you're just going to ask to try everyone under 18 as an adult why bother having two systems at all? As ive said many times before im not against trying teens as adults but if you are going to do so be consistent and give the law abiding teens the same rights and privileges that come with being an adult.

Multiple murders do not equate to gaining to full rights (voting- drinking)as a citizen.

SLM
+3
#7  Top Rated Post

Personally I don't think murder should be a charge that is laid under the YOA (or whatever they're calling now). (Rape would be another one.) Some crimes are such that a few years removed from being an "official" adult doesn't make the same kind of difference as most other crimes. I think that if we're going to focus on rehabilitation (which agree we should have the primary focus on that) than for sure young offenders represent the best hope for it, at least in theory.

But some things are so far over the edge of reasonable, humane behaviour that I'm not sure rehabilitation is always possible. Not that we shouldn't still try but personally I think the focus should be on public safety and keeping dangerous individuals where they can do the least amount of harm.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Personally I don't think murder should be a charge that is laid under the YOA (or whatever they're calling now). (Rape would be another one.) Some crimes are such that a few years removed from being an "official" adult doesn't make the same kind of difference as most other crimes. I think that if we're going to focus on rehabilitation (which agree we should have the primary focus on that) than for sure young offenders represent the best hope for it, at least in theory.

But some things are so far over the edge of reasonable, humane behaviour that I'm not sure rehabilitation is always possible. Not that we shouldn't still try but personally I think the focus should be on public safety and keeping dangerous individuals where they can do the least amount of harm.

If guilty, 3 people murdered, 40 years min. No rehab for someone that fuked up.

L Gilbert
If I were a judge, sentencing would also depend upon their histories. If they had youth offences up the yinyang, they would not get off lightly with a short sentence. Recidivism would be likely.

taxslave
+1

Better think that one through a little farther. Under 18 any minor convictions are sealed and do not create problems later in life. Just consider this as a little hand out or up for teens that tend not to think of the consequences of their actions. For serious crimes such as the above they should be tried in adult court and if guilty removed from society for a very long time to both protect innocent law abiding citizens and , at least in theory as a deterrent to others.

WLDB
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Multiple murders do not equate to gaining to full rights (voting- drinking)as a citizen.

No. But why should people get the bad side of being an adult while under 18 but none of the positives? You wind up giving them some selective responsibility as an adult retroactively. Either they are adults or they arent.

Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Agreed but that doesnt really have anything to do with age. The goals should be the same whether the person who committed the crime is 15 or 80. Protect the public and rehabilitation if possible.

SLM

Agreed but that doesnt really have anything to do with age. The goals should be the same whether the person who committed the crime is 15 or 80. Protect the public and rehabilitation if possible.

No it doesn't have anything to do with age, which was sort of the point I was making as far as really violent crime is concerned.

It's not inconceivable to me to give someone the benefit of the doubt in many cases; first time offenders, youth making a mistake, that sort of thing. I can buy a 15 year old being really stupid and joy riding in their neighbour's car. That's a stupid mistake. I find it less plausible to consider it a mistake if a 35 year old does the same thing. So for those kinds of reasons I don't really have a problem with providing youth with a little more consideration when it comes to prosecuting crimes. Intervention at an earlier juncture can make a difference, not that I'm saying in practice we've done all that well with it, but the reasoning is sound.

But when it comes to bloody, horrific killings and assaults/rapes, I don't know how a person comes back from something like that. I'm not sure it's possible.

I think basically you start with the crime, then assess the offender when it comes to balancing out the need between public safety and the ability to rehabilitate. And youth should count somewhat towards the latter in my opinion.

spaminator
Quebec teens' triple killing part of larger mass murder plot, Crown alleges
QMI Agency
First posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 09:22 AM EST | Updated: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 04:34 PM EST
TROIS-RIVIERES, Que. — Two teen boys accused of murdering two sisters and one of the girl’s boyfriends had planned even more murders, the Crown said Wednesday.
The 17-year-old boys were each arraigned Wednesday on three counts of first-degree murder as well as conspiracy charges. The pair is also charged with plotting to kill the girls’ mother as well as police officers.
They face life sentences with no parole possibility for 10 years if convicted as minors.
The Crown demanded the teens be charged as adults, which would disqualify them from parole for 25 years if convicted.
A girl and her boyfriend, both 17, and the girl’s sister, 22, were shot and killed Tuesday morning in the sisters’ family home in this city about 90 minutes northeast of Montreal. The trio cannot be legally named.
A source told QMI Agency the older sister called 911 from inside the home to report gunshots. She was gunned down minutes later.
A source told QMIthe sound of gunshots can be heard during the 911 call, which is considered a key piece of evidence.
Some friends said one of the defendants had a crush on the younger sister and was angry at her boyfriend.
One of the defendants’ Facebook pages is peppered with gory and violent images.
There’s a crime-scene photo showing a disemboweled body, and a cartoon series depicting a man who plunges an ax into his own head. Another cartoon shows a boy stabbed in his sleep, while yet another drawing depicts a gruesome rendering of the Last Supper with disciples and ghoulish creatures eating a man who looks like Jesus Christ.
There are also several quotes about death on the defendant’s page. A Jan. 12 post read: “I’ll kill you before me,” and named his alleged co-defendant.
Another posting read: “Give me your hand and I’ll take you into the world of the dead.”
Some of the Facebook photos showed him hunting with an adult. Posters to both defendants’ pages have deluged the teens with hateful comments since Tuesday.
Sources also revealed details about the minutes that led up to the murders.
The shooters arrived by bus from a neighborhood across town with hunting weapons in their bags.
The bus let them off a few minutes’ walk from the victims’ west-end home. The gunmen entered the home and shot and killed the three young victims around 8 a.m.
When the killers realized police were on their way, they broke an upper window and lay in wait, planning to shoot and kill the officers, the source said.
But instead they decided to stash their weapons and try to escape. Police then arrived and arrested two suspects without incident.
“She had just bought her prom dress,” said a friend of the younger sister. “She didn't want to show it to us to keep us surprised. Now we know that it will never happen.”
- With files from Brian Daly
Quebec teens' triple killing part of larger mass murder plot, Crown alleges | Canada | News | Toronto Sun (external - login to view)

no new posts