Baby mauled to death by illegal American pitbull

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
An 11-month-old baby girl was killed by an "American pit bull-type" dog while asleep upstairs in bed, police said.

Ava-Jayne Marie Corless was taken to hospital from Emily Street, Blackburn, Lancashire at 23:00 GMT on Monday where she died.

The baby's mother Chloe King, 20, and her boyfriend have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter. They were downstairs when she was attacked.

Ava-Jayne was not at her home address but lived nearby. The pet, classed as a dangerous dog, has been destroyed.

Blackburn baby girl killed by 'American pit bull-type' pet dog

Ava-Jayne Corless was mauled while her mother Chloe King was downstairs

An 11-month-old baby girl was killed by an "American pit bull-type" dog while asleep upstairs in bed, police said.

Ava-Jayne Marie Corless was taken to hospital from Emily Street, Blackburn, at 23:00 GMT on Monday where she died.

The baby's mother Chloe King, 20, and her boyfriend have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter. They were downstairs when she was attacked.

Ava-Jayne was not at her home address but lived nearby. The pet, classed as a dangerous dog, has been destroyed.

Tributes have been left for baby Ava-Jayne in Emily Street, Blackburn which has been cordoned off

Ms King and her 26-year-old boyfriend Lee Wright, who is not the child's father, are also being questioned on suspicion of child neglect.

'Horrific incident'

A post-mortem examination will take place to find out the exact cause of Ava's death.

During a press conference, Ch Supt Chris Bithell said the dog was an "American pit bull-type" which came under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.

Mr Bithell said: "This is an absolutely horrific incident in which a baby girl has lost her life."

Police were first alerted by the ambulance service who were called to reports of the girl being mauled by a pet dog.
Tests will now be carried out to establish the exact breed.

"I'm told it's quite a large pit bull-type dog," Mr Bithell said.

"As part of the investigation we are making inquiries to see whether there have been previous issues with this particular dog," he added.

Forensic officers are examining the house in Emily Street, Blackburn, where 11-month-old Ava-Jayne Marie Corless was killed by the dog

No-one else was injured during the attack.

A neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: "She was a lovely little girl, always smiling, always happy, just like her mum.

"It's sickened me to my stomach."

BBC News - Blackburn baby girl killed by 'American pit bull-type' pet dog

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Ava-Jayne Marie Corless was taken to hospital from Emily Street, Blackburn, Lancashire at 23:00 GMT on Monday where she died.

"It's sickened me to my stomach."

BBC News - Blackburn baby girl killed by 'American pit bull-type' pet dog

Do you have ALL the details on this case? I know "pit bulls" have a bad rep, but I'm not sure that of many of the owners is any better. I think if you look hard enough you'll find other breeds have killed children. We have to watch that emotions don't get in the way of common sense.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I guess the powers that be figure a couple of kids mauled to death each year is acceptable. Happens in the UK, Canada, etc.

Now in Canada we have these drugged out welfare cases with pit cross breeds, and they're legal, cause they ain't a pit bull.

Killem all. Yup, owners too.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Do you have ALL the details on this case? I know "pit bulls" have a bad rep, but I'm not sure that of many of the owners is any better. I think if you look hard enough you'll find other breeds have killed children. We have to watch that emotions don't get in the way of common sense.

A lot of the time it's the way the dogs have been brought up by their owners.

But, even so, if it was an American pitbull then the couple were owning a dog which is illegal in England and Wales for being a particularly dangerous breed.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
And the pitbull originated in the UK.

Staffordshire Terrier, mainly, apparently "pit bull" does unofficially include other breeds. Dog connoisseurs who care for their dogs speak highly of Pit Bulls. My opinion is the dog generally reflects the disposition of the owner.

A lot of the time it's the way the dogs have been brought up by their owners.

But, even so, if it was an American pitbull then the couple were owning a dog which is illegal in England and Wales for being a particularly dangerous breed.

Do you think the powers that be in England and Wales know anything about American Pit Bulls?

Didn't think so!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Pit_Bull_Terrier