Olympic chat

Sal
+5
I started chatting in the other thread made by karrie and realized it was for behind the scenes...

Thus I thought I would start this brag/cry thread.

Canada jut had a good skate in the couples but they don't look so happy with their scores....US is up next.

1 gold
2 silver
1 bronze.....

Gooooooooooooo Canda

SLM
+2

Blackleaf
+1
Great Britain are 14th in the medals table, with one bronze.

One more medal, though, and we double our total 2010 tally.

EagleSmack
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

I started chatting in the other thread made by karrie and realized it was for behind the scenes...

Thus I thought I would start this brag/cry thread.

Canada jut had a good skate in the couples but they don't look so happy with their scores....US is up next.

1 gold
2 silver
1 bronze.....

Gooooooooooooo Canda

Nice... good job!

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Nice... good job!

thanks you guys have two golds already...wow, and two bronze.....nice job also...if we don't get it I like when you guys do.

EagleSmack
+4
Just don't give the us Yanks a hard time when the US teams lose in hockey!

Oh... in advance....

...If the US Women's Hockey team lose the Gold Medal to Canada... they will not have looks of glee on their face. They will not be excited and happy. I'm just letting everyone know ahead of time.

Is that OK everyone?

L Gilbert
+5
Meh. I don't care who wins what. I just like seeing those hard working kids win. So if it were me, they'd all get golds.

Sal
+3

Oh... in advance....

...If the US Women's Hockey team lose the Gold Medal to Canada... they will not have looks of glee on their face. They will not be excited and happy. I'm just letting everyone know ahead of time.

Is that OK everyone?

it's okey dokey with me if I were on the losing team after working that hard I would be wailing. They all try so hard from all the countries...and for me at my age, a kid is a kid...I feel for all of them.

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

it's okey dokey with me if I were on the losing team after working that hard I would be wailing. They all try so hard from all the countries...and for me at my age, a kid is a kid...I feel for all of them.

I'm just speaking historically in here... the US Girls Hockey Team never seem to look happy enough for some after losing the Gold Medal game.

Sal

I'm just speaking historically in here... the US Girls Hockey Team never seem to look happy enough for some after losing the Gold Medal game.

fuk them, they wouldn't either

talloola
+2

Oh... in advance....

Is that OK everyone?

none of them will have smiles on their faces when they lose,
men or women, they are not going there to lose, and this is
for all the marbles, its not about, 'lets just play and who cares who wins', thats for brackets that
don't get to this level. its intense, its serious, and that is what is 'fun' for them.
i don't expect either the u.s. team or the canadian teams to have a
smile on their faces when they lose, they should be 'pissed' off.

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

for all the marbles, its not about, 'lets just play and who cares who wins', thats for brackets that
don't get to this level. its intense, its serious, and that is what is 'fun' for them.

Which kind of goes against the whole purpose of sports/recreation- a time and method of getting away from the rigors and worries of normal life, clocks, deadlines etc. Time to give your blood pressure a break and "recharge your batteries".

EagleSmack
+1

That's right Tall... 100% Props.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Which kind of goes against the whole purpose of sports/recreation- a time and method of getting away from the rigors and worries of normal life, clocks, deadlines etc. Time to give your blood pressure a break and "recharge your batteries".

Those sports are for you and me JLM. In the Olympics, Pros, College... it is about winning.

talloola
+3

the whole purpose of sports and recreation is an individual choice, as many very competetive people find
the 'just for fun' approach very boring and without purpose, no fun for them, they want a challenge,
they want to be the best they can, they strive for excellence, so that is 'their' fun, can't put
everyone in the same box, as individuals have very different views of how to enjoy sports.

the recreational side of sports is for those who just want the excercise,
have no interest in being competetive, and that is how 'they' enjoy
sports.

JLM

That's right Tall... 100% Props.

Those sports are for you and me JLM. In the Olympics, Pros, College... it is about winning.

I suppose, I guess we just have nothing to prove. -

talloola
+1

I suppose, I guess we just have nothing to prove. -

no, thats not right, you aren't interested in doing what is necessary to prove your sports
endeavors to anyone, you just want to play for fun, nothing wrong with that.

and the best and most competetive people in the world, even when they are pissed off, will
take their hat off, turn, and shake hands with the person who just beat them, good sportsmanship,
but they still don't have to be happy about it, if they didn't care, they would never become
that good, they care a lot, hence they are willing to practice more than you ever would, and
find good information to help them get better and better, they are dedicated.

JLM

no, thats not right, you aren't interested in doing what is necessary to prove your sports
endeavors to anyone, you just want to play for fun, nothing wrong with that.

Plus the fact, I'm not particularly muscular or have the stature (5'7") for many sports.

L Gilbert
+3
Well, IMO, a person can have fun and be competitive at the same time. It's why I've played rugby (mostly union) for some 40 years. I love the challenge of keeping up with the kids and even trying to keep up with the best of them, too. And I'd make a bet that a lot of sports people get a lot of fun from the challenge and competition, especially the best ones.
Last edited by L Gilbert; Feb 10th, 2014 at 12:47 AM..

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Well, IMO, a person can have fun and be competitive at the same time. It's why I've played rugby (mostly union) for some 40 years. I love the challenge of keeping up with the kids and even trying to keep up with the best of them, too. And I'd make a bet that a lot of sports people get a lot of fun from the challenge and competition, especially the best ones.

I too, enjoy being competitive whether it's bowling or playing scrabble or crib, but winning for me is not an absolute obsession. We have a couple of real A$$holes at bowling, if they take out the head pin or throw one in the gutter you can't talk to them, one guy kicks the ball return and throws his towel on the floor. I'm talking about people in their 30s. Thank God there's only a couple of them.

talloola
+1

I too, enjoy being competitive whether it's bowling or playing scrabble or crib, but winning for me is not an absolute obsession. We have a couple of real A$$holes at bowling, if they take out the head pin or throw one in the gutter you can't talk to them, one guy kicks the ball return and throws his towel on the floor. I'm talking about people in their 30s. Thank God there's only a couple of them.

those types definitely didn't get the memo explaining how to be a complete competetor, they are losers.
one can see them at every type of sporting event, the human race definitely has its flaws.

mentalfloss
IOC bans a remembrance sticker at the Olympics because they don't condone political statements.

But they DO allow for rampant patriotism roflcopters.

IOC bans Sarah Burke memorial stickers from helmets - The Globe and Mail

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

IOC bans a remembrance sticker at the Olympics because they don't condone political statements.

But they DO allow for rampant patriotism roflcopters.

IOC bans Sarah Burke memorial stickers from helmets - The Globe and Mail

There's always going to be people who impose "rules" because it's the only way they can feel important, having no other skills.

those types definitely didn't get the memo explaining how to be a complete competetor, they are losers.
one can see them at every type of sporting event, the human race definitely has its flaws.

One of the guys is one of the top bowlers in Vernon, like about a 250+ average, so no one says anything.
Last edited by JLM; Feb 10th, 2014 at 10:19 AM..

EagleSmack
+1

There's always going to be people who impose "rules" because it's the only way they can feel important, having no other skills.

I agree. Some people love to simply say "no" to say it.

JLM

My old boss had another way of saying it. When he said "let's talk about it", you knew "no" was the outcome! -

Blackleaf
+1
Sochi 2014: Jack Whelbourne falls in 1,500m short track final

BBC Sport

Britain's Jack Whelbourne crashed and injured himself in the 1,500m short track speed skating final at Sochi 2014 but hopes to skate on through the pain.

The 22-year-old had defied his world ranking to reach the final but twisted his ankle mid-race and did not finish.

"It's very sore but hopefully I'll be OK for the other two distances," the Nottingham skater told BBC Sport.

Canada's Charles Hamelin won the race ahead of China's Han Tianyu as Viktor Ahn won bronze for hosts Russia.

Ahn won three gold medals and a bronze at the Turin Games eight years ago while competing for South Korea as Ahn Hyun-soo, but switched nationality to Russia and changed his name ahead of competing in Sochi.

Earlier on Monday, British duo Elise Christie and Charlotte Gilmartin came safely through their 500m heats to reach Thursday's quarter-finals.

Whelbourne had created history as the first Briton to reach an Olympic 1,500m short track final.

But, having raced a perfect semi-final to reach the showdown for gold, he rolled his ankle on a black rubber block - used to mark the course - which had become dislodged. "It can be quite common in the sport," he said.

Team GB officials later said Whelbourne had been taken for a precautionary x-ray of his right ankle, which revealed no fracture.

BBC Sport - Sochi 2014: Jack Whelbourne falls in 1,500m short track final (external - login to view)

The country which gave the world curling (as it did most other sports) have had a bit of a mixed bag of results:

Sochi 2014: Great Britain curlers have mixed results

BBC Sport

Great Britain's men won but their female counterparts lost on the opening day of curling at the Sochi Games.

David Murdoch's rink scored four points in the sixth end as they beat Russia 7-4.

The women lost a tough match, 6-4, to reigning Olympic and European Champions - and medal rivals - Sweden.

Skip Eve Muirhead was off her game, with a shot accuracy of 61% whereas Sweden skip Margaretha Sigfridsson was higher at 80%.

Britain, considered strong gold medal contenders, have plenty of time to make amends with eight more matches in the round-robin stage of the competition, with the top four advancing to the semi-finals.

GB's male curlers did better than their female compatriots

Muirhead said: "It is always disappointing to lose the first match. It was always going to be a tough one anyway, playing the European champions and world runners-up.

"They are one of the favourites but the game could have gone either way. We got off to a bit of a slow start, managed to claw it back to all square but they played a fantastic shot in the seventh end that gave them that step ahead."

GB men have a second match on Monday, against Sweden at 15:00 GMT.

WINTER OLYMPICS FACT OF THE DAY

The tiny British island of Ailsa Craig, located in the Firth of Clyde and measuring just over 219 acres, provides the world with curling stones. The island's granite has been used to make curling stones - curling is a Scottish sport - since the 19th Century and still is today. Around 70% of all the world's curling stones today were once part of Ailsa Craig.

BBC Sport - Sochi 2014: Great Britain curlers have mixed results (external - login to view)
Last edited by Blackleaf; Feb 10th, 2014 at 11:25 AM..

Mowich
+2
Alex Bilodeau wins Gold in Men's Freestyle Moguls and Michael Kingsbury takes the Silver. Rock on guys!
Last edited by Mowich; Feb 10th, 2014 at 02:57 PM..

EagleSmack
+2
Damn. The Canucks are putting in work in Sochi.

Mowich
+1

Damn. The Canucks are putting in work in Sochi.

I forgot to mention Charles Hamelin won Gold in the Men's shorttrack speedskating event too. Go, Canada, Go!
Last edited by Mowich; Feb 10th, 2014 at 02:58 PM..

taxslave
+3
At the Olympic level there are no losers.

We cal them bureaucrats.

Toro
+2
This is why Quebec should never be allowed to separate.

Who'd win all our gold medals in the moguls?