Parents force 5-year-old to drink grape soda until she dies

tay
Five-year-old Alexa Linboom drank one of her step-mother’s grape sodas after she had been told not to.

That’s when Randall and Mary Vaughn decided her punishment would be drinking huge amounts of grape soda and water.

It led to acute fluid/water intoxication, causing her brain to swell and organs to shut down, leading to her death.

The incident took place in 2012 but after an ongoing investigation, the two were charged with first-degree murder, aggravated child neglect, and aggravated child abuse this week.

Attorney General Berkeley Bell told the Times News in Kingsport, Tennessee, “they also failed to take care of the child once she was injured.”

“Our position is it was a matter of several hours after the child started exhibiting serious symptoms, after the child was screaming out in pain, went into a paralyzed state, and became unconscious.”

There were six children living in the house at the time, the others are now in foster care.

Prosecutor: Forced soda, water consumption led to Hawkins child's death | Kingsport Times-News

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Sal
+1
for a grape soda....

a combined IQ of maybe 90

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

for a grape soda....

you're too generous.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

you're too generous.

they sure did pop out the babies successfully though, that would have been seven kids in a highly abusive environment

Angstrom
Bah! If the little demon had not died 90% of you would have said that was good parenting. Your all full of shi t
Last edited by Angstrom; Feb 8th, 2014 at 10:08 AM..

lone wolf
+7
#6  Top Rated Post
You are the measure by which you gauge others....

SLM
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

Bah! If the little demon had not died 90% of you would have said that was good parenting. Your all full of shi t

The little demon.......

As is usual, there simply are no words to accurately describe the incredible stupidity of another of your statements. Congratulations, a new high in lows has once again been achieved.

shadowshiv
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

for a grape soda....

Stories like this fill me with such a rage that I wish I could take it out on those evil people pictured above.

Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

Regardless of whether or not she died, I don't think that continually force-feeding a 5 year old child soda after soda after soda (etc.) is good parenting at all.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

Stories like this fill me with such a rage that I wish I could take it out on those evil people pictured above.

I can understand the sentiment, anyone that hurts kids. But especially for stupidity like drinking a grape soda.

Quote:

Regardless of whether or not she died, I don't think that continually force-feeding a 5 year old child soda after soda after soda (etc.) is good parenting at all.

Nobody does. He's just an idiot who fancies himself as clever but is actually anything but.

shadowshiv
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I can understand the sentiment, anyone that hurts kids. But especially for stupidity like drinking a grape soda.

It's amazing what sets off "parents" sometimes. A can of pop? Seriously?

SLM
+1

It's amazing what sets off "parents" sometimes. A can of pop? Seriously?

I can't fathom the mindset. Anger I get, even an inappropriate outburst of anger, I can get (not that I would ever do it, but I get the loss of control that can happen). But something planned and painful to a child, let alone your own child. It's insane.

shadowshiv
+1

I can't fathom the mindset. Anger I get, even an inappropriate outburst of anger, I can get (not that I would ever do it, but I get the loss of control that can happen). But something planned and painful to a child, let alone your own child. It's insane.

The amount of time it would take for her to get to the point that she did before succumbing to it is what is particularly troubling. It's not something that is quick, it took a long time!

SLM

The amount of time it would take for her to get to the point that she did before succumbing to it is what is particularly troubling. It's not something that is quick, it took a long time!

Exactly, that's what I'm saying. It's planned, and even if there were so monumentally stupid as to not predict the potential outcome, the effects of the "punishment" were observable. They could have stopped.

JLM

The little demon.......

As is usual, there simply are no words to accurately describe the incredible stupidity of another of your statements. Congratulations, a new high in lows has once again been achieved.

It's understandable, not being the brightest candle on the cake.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

It's understandable, not being the brightest candle on the cake.

There speaking because you have something to say, or just to say something. When it's the latter, it's generally worthless commentary.

JLM

There speaking because you have something to say, or just to say something. When it's the latter, it's generally worthless commentary.

Maybe he was just trying to get a "rise". -

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Maybe he was just trying to get a "rise". -

I'm sure that's exactly what it was. Positive of it actually.

On the back of a story about a five year old girl dying.

Even on the internet, there is such a thing known as tact. More people would do well to embrace it.

JLM

I'm sure that's exactly what it was. Positive of it actually.

On the back of a story about a five year old girl dying.

Even on the internet, there is such a thing known as tact. More people would do well to embrace it.

You got that right!

Sal

Stories like this fill me with such a rage that I wish I could take it out on those evil people pictured above

Yes because it is hostile, cruel and senseless. And all of their kids fell through the cracks. There was obvious evident ongoing abuse happening. This does not occur in a vacuum. And yet it had to reach this point for the other kids to be removed. And what of them now.