Australian who threw girlfriend off balcony described as 'best boyfriend' by new girl

spaminator
+1
Australian who threw girlfriend off balcony described as 'best boyfriend' by new girlfriend
First posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 04:05 PM EST | Updated: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 04:21 PM EST
The current girlfriend of an Australia man found guilty of throwing Canadian girlfriend Lisa Harnum off a balcony in 2011 told his sentencing hearing Wednesday that Simon Gittany is "the best boyfriend I have ever had."
Rachelle Louise took the stand and tearfully told court Gittany is "caring," "romantic" and that she will "stand by him until justice is served," The Daily Telegraph reported (external - login to view).
Before court started, Louise and other Gittany supporters staged a protest with placards questioning the evidence against Gittany and comparing him to people who were first convicted, then acquitted of murder, the paper reported.
Gittany, 40, pleaded not guilty of killing Harnum, 30, on July 30, 2011, and maintained his innocence on Wednesday.
"My entire life has been put up in front of not just Australia but the whole world," Gittany said. "I am charged with a crime that I did not commit. That in itself is a cross that is unbearable."
Harnum was planning on returning to Canada the morning she was killed.
In victim impact statements sent from her Ottawa home, Harnum's mother Joan wrote about the pain of losing her child.
"Now there is an empty chair, a beautiful missing face with an enormous smile in our photos and a family mourning the loss of a part of our family that can never be replaced."
Prosecutors told the judge there was new evidence the murder was premeditated and it should be considered for sentencing, which the judge didn't allow.
Canadian ballerina Lisa Harnum, who died after falling from the 15th floor of an apartment in Sydney, Australia, is pictured in this 2011 file photo. (REX/QMI Agency)

Australian who threw girlfriend off balcony described as 'best boyfriend' by new girlfriend | Canada | News | Toronto Sun (external - login to view)

shadowshiv
+3
I wonder if she would say the same thing if/when he gets tired of her?

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

So where's your evidence that Mr Gittany is a murderer?

SLM
+4
#4  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

Well, if he's guilty of what they've accused him of she may not have opportunity to say much of anything in those circumstances. And there's the whole element of getting involved with someone in the first place who stands accused of something like that. I can understand if you already know someone, standing behind them and supporting them if they're accused of a crime (and perhaps this is the case) but dating someone who's on trial for murder reads as more than a little questionable.

karrie
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Well, if he's guilty of what they've accused him of she may not have opportunity to say much of anything in those circumstances. And there's the whole element of getting involved with someone in the first place who stands accused of something like that. I can understand if you already know someone, standing behind them and supporting them if they're accused of a crime (and perhaps this is the case) but dating someone who's on trial for murder reads as more than a little questionable.

He's been found guilty.

Australians all want to know: How did Lisa Harnum die? - Australasia - World - The Independent (external - login to view)

"A pinhole camera which he installed in the corridor outside their flat, in an upmarket city centre block, recorded a struggle during which Ms Harnum hammered on a neighbour's door, screaming for help. Mr Gittany then dragged her back inside, hand over her mouth. Soon afterwards, the neighbour heard "a single, bone-chilling scream" – and a passer-by saw a man "unload" a black object off the balcony."

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

He's been found guilty.

My mistake, yes he has been. In scanning the article I think I got it mixed up with the obvious reference to Amanda Knox (convicted, over turned) but yes he has indeed been found guilty in a court of law.

Someone might want to explain that to Blackleaf.

EagleSmack
Where's Praxius?

BaalsTears
Why do women like bad boys?

karrie
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

Because we love a project. "I can fiiix hiiiimmm!!!!!"

BaalsTears
+1 / -1

You make women sound like a bunch of missionaries.

I think women move through stages in life. There is a stage in which women like the thrill of a bad boy. Most women grow out of that stage. Sometimes bad boys move past that stage as well. Former bad boys can become good partners.

damngrumpy
Where's the proof? They are sentencing him you wouldn't pass sentence until the
trial found you guilt now would they? Australian Justice is mirrored after the western
system and is usually pretty reliable. No system is perfect.
Amanda Knox, that is another matter Italian justice? It has been found wanting in
many cases over the decades according to some media outlets. That case is more
about social politics than it is about what happened in my opion

karrie
+2

You make women sound like a bunch of missionaries.

I think women move through stages in life. There is a stage in which women like the thrill of a bad boy. Most women grow out of that stage. Sometimes bad boys move past that stage as well. Former bad boys can become good partners.

Okay, I'll stop cracking wise... I don't think this guy is a 'bad boy', I think the allure for his new gf is that he is obsessive. She says it herself, he's the best boyfriend she's ever had. Which will be awesome for her so long as things are going good between them. People like that can make you feel like the most important person in the world when a relationship first starts... before the crazy starts to show.

MHz
Did she give a list of qualities for her old BF were like?

taxslave
This says a lot about her previous boyfriends.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Well, if he's guilty of what they've accused him of she may not have opportunity to say much of anything in those circumstances.

I expect she will say AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH! *plop*

EagleSmack
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I expect she will say AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH! *plop*

Tom Brady wouldn't have thrown her off a balcony.

Sal
+2

it is an addictive thing for women with emotional issues...they crave the roller coaster ride....when with these type of men, the emotions polarize...........HIGH to low, low to high....it literally becomes addictive.

Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

Australian who threw girlfriend off balcony described as 'best boyfriend' by new girlfriend

Australian who threw girlfriend off balcony described as 'best boyfriend' by new girlfriend | Canada | News | Toronto Sun (external - login to view)

and he may well be the best boyfriend she has had, doesn't mean he is a balanced human being nor even a great boyfriend, he is just the best she has managed to acquire.

SLM

I think a lot of times there's often an element of vanity to it too; a sort of false bolstering of self-esteem. Since every relationship has a honeymoon period, the new girlfriend (in the beginning) can often use the it's not him, it was her, I'm just so good that I bring the good out in him too line of "reasoning". It's somewhat related to the I can fix him mentality. I think the "I can fix him" sometimes will come after that, once the honeymoon, as they say, is over because then it becomes "it's him, it's not me, I need to fix him".

WLDB
+4
All I can say is:
Attached Images

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

All I can say is:

Ditto that.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Tom Brady wouldn't have thrown her off a balcony.

No. He would have stopped and checked his hair in the hallway mirror allowing her to escape.

tankNZ
Well, hella interesting story lol

BaalsTears
I think Bill Clinton and Ike Turner were probably good boyfriends too.

shadowshiv
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

So where's your evidence that Mr Gittany is a murderer?

Duh, perhaps the fact that he has already been found guilty of her murder?

no new posts