Canadian band claims their music used to torture Gitmo inmates

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

QMI Agency

Feb 4, 2014 , Last Updated: 1:57 PM ET

A Vancouver band says they have considered billing the U.S. government for using their music to torture detainees at Guantanamo Bay.
cEvin Key of Skinny Puppy told the Phoenix New Times they were informed their music -- which he describes as "unsettling" -- was used on at least four occasions.
"We heard through a reliable grapevine that our music was being used in Guantanamo Bay prison camps to musically stun or torture people," Key said during an interview about the band's newest album. "We thought it would be a good idea to make an invoice to the U.S. government for musical services."
He added they were not happy to learn their music was being used as a form of torture.
"We never supported those types of scenarios," he said. "Because we make unsettling music, we can see it being used in a weird way. But it doesn't sit right with us."

A sample.

Skinny Puppy - illisiT - YouTube

Video is weird but then I more or less think most videos are weird. I'm of the FM radio generation. :D

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
ha. I like the idea of them billing the US government for "musical services." More people should try doing that.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
ha. I like the idea of them billing the US government for "musical services." More people should try doing that.

Sure. If they fill out the requisite forms in triplicate and then wait around, I'm sure the US government will get around to paying them eventually. Lol.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sure. If they fill out the requisite forms in triplicate and then wait around, I'm sure the US government will get around to paying them eventually. Lol.

In a few decades or centuries. After they pay off everyone else they owe money to. Ha.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

QMI Agency

Feb 4, 2014 , Last Updated: 1:57 PM ET

A Vancouver band says they have considered billing the U.S. government for using their music to torture detainees at Guantanamo Bay.
cEvin Key of Skinny Puppy told the Phoenix New Times they were informed their music -- which he describes as "unsettling" -- was used on at least four occasions.

Video is weird but then I more or less think most videos are weird. I'm of the FM radio generation. :D
Why'm I reminded of McLuhan's comment that the medium is the message. lol
I've heard worse. A couple types of metal and Yoko Ono's off-key screeching, for instance. Yep, the vid's weird.
I remember FM before it took AM's place as a little music and a lotta ads. Now Sirius has FM's spot as music with few or no ads.

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Why'm I reminded of WcLuhan's comment that the medium is the message. lol
I've heard worse. A couple types of metal and Yoko Ono's off-key screeching, for instance. Yep, the vid's weird.
I remember FM before it took AM's place as a little music and a lotta ads. Now Sirius has FM's spot as music with few or no ads.

Yeah, I could have posted a vid of Yoko's work as an example of truly torturous music, but you know, I like most of the people here. :D

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Maybe they'll create a website so you can apply?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I heard this story on As It Happens last night driving across the city. The reason
they used them was the style like they also used the heavy metal bands as well
Actually some of the stuff they played I didn't mind wouldn't want to hear it all day
but off and on not bad. It was hours and hours of the stuff with sound effects
and sleep deprivation. The band is suing for a lot of money should make the
government sit up and take notice. You can't use the music without paying for it.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Good grief.

The most air time they ever got was at GITMO.

They aren't getting squat and the government will not even pay them mind. I hope they lose what little they got for their noise with lawyer and court fees.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Yeah, I could have posted a vid of Yoko's work as an example of truly torturous music, but you know, I like most of the people here. :D
That definitely would have earned you a place on the ignore list.