Canadian band claims their music used to torture Gitmo inmates

SLM

QMI Agency

Feb 4, 2014 , Last Updated: 1:57 PM ET

A Vancouver band says they have considered billing the U.S. government for using their music to torture detainees at Guantanamo Bay.
cEvin Key of Skinny Puppy told the Phoenix New Times (external - login to view) they were informed their music -- which he describes as "unsettling" -- was used on at least four occasions.
"We heard through a reliable grapevine that our music was being used in Guantanamo Bay prison camps to musically stun or torture people," Key said during an interview about the band's newest album. "We thought it would be a good idea to make an invoice to the U.S. government for musical services."
He added they were not happy to learn their music was being used as a form of torture.
"We never supported those types of scenarios," he said. "Because we make unsettling music, we can see it being used in a weird way. But it doesn't sit right with us."

Canadian band claims their music used to torture Gitmo inmates (external - login to view)

A sample.

Skinny Puppy - illisiT - YouTube

Video is weird but then I more or less think most videos are weird. I'm of the FM radio generation.

taxslave
SAys a lot about the quality of their music. For real torture play some symphony.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

SAys a lot about the quality of their music. For real torture play some symphony.

Not creative enough.

How about several hours of this at high volumes?

Tip Toe Thru the Tulips Tiny Tim on Johnny Carsons Tonight Show - 1968 - YouTube

taxslave
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Not creative enough.

Tip Toe Thru the Tulips Tiny Tim on Johnny Carsons Tonight Show - 1968 - YouTube

Thanks but I'll take the waterboarding.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Thanks but I'll take the waterboarding.

I will consider that a SCORE! LOL.

WLDB
ha. I like the idea of them billing the US government for "musical services." More people should try doing that.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

ha. I like the idea of them billing the US government for "musical services." More people should try doing that.

Sure. If they fill out the requisite forms in triplicate and then wait around, I'm sure the US government will get around to paying them eventually. Lol.

WLDB

Sure. If they fill out the requisite forms in triplicate and then wait around, I'm sure the US government will get around to paying them eventually. Lol.

In a few decades or centuries. After they pay off everyone else they owe money to. Ha.

gerryh

Not creative enough.

and what's wrong with Tiny Tim?

WLDB
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Nothing for the first 5-10 minutes.

SLM

Nothing in particular but the high pitched warble would grate on me after a while.

L Gilbert
+1

QMI Agency

Feb 4, 2014 , Last Updated: 1:57 PM ET

A Vancouver band says they have considered billing the U.S. government for using their music to torture detainees at Guantanamo Bay.
cEvin Key of Skinny Puppy told the Phoenix New Times (external - login to view) they were informed their music -- which he describes as "unsettling" -- was used on at least four occasions.
Canadian band claims their music used to torture Gitmo inmates (external - login to view)

Video is weird but then I more or less think most videos are weird. I'm of the FM radio generation.

Why'm I reminded of McLuhan's comment that the medium is the message. lol
I've heard worse. A couple types of metal and Yoko Ono's off-key screeching, for instance. Yep, the vid's weird.
I remember FM before it took AM's place as a little music and a lotta ads. Now Sirius has FM's spot as music with few or no ads.
Last edited by L Gilbert; Feb 4th, 2014 at 09:48 PM..

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Why'm I reminded of WcLuhan's comment that the medium is the message. lol
I've heard worse. A couple types of metal and Yoko Ono's off-key screeching, for instance. Yep, the vid's weird.
I remember FM before it took AM's place as a little music and a lotta ads. Now Sirius has FM's spot as music with few or no ads.

Yeah, I could have posted a vid of Yoko's work as an example of truly torturous music, but you know, I like most of the people here.

EagleSmack

Maybe they'll create a website so you can apply?

damngrumpy
I heard this story on As It Happens last night driving across the city. The reason
they used them was the style like they also used the heavy metal bands as well
Actually some of the stuff they played I didn't mind wouldn't want to hear it all day
but off and on not bad. It was hours and hours of the stuff with sound effects
and sleep deprivation. The band is suing for a lot of money should make the
government sit up and take notice. You can't use the music without paying for it.

EagleSmack
Good grief.

The most air time they ever got was at GITMO.

They aren't getting squat and the government will not even pay them mind. I hope they lose what little they got for their noise with lawyer and court fees.

gerryh
+2
#17  Top Rated Post

Yeah, I could have posted a vid of Yoko's work as an example of truly torturous music, but you know, I like most of the people here.

That definitely would have earned you a place on the ignore list.

Locutus
skinny who?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Beautiful Boys - John Lennon amp Yoko Ono Remastered 2010 - YouTube

Ban Me! Go ahead! I dare you.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Maybe they'll create a website so you can apply?

Hey I've seen some of the weird programs your government funds, it's not that much of a stretch.

Government subsidies - AskMen (external - login to view)

(to be fair, we're on there too. but you guys got 6 out of 10 )

That definitely would have earned you a place on the ignore list.

I may be bad sometimes but I'm not inhuman.

Tecumsehsbones
Shoulda used Nickelback.

L Gilbert

Good grief.

The most air time they ever got was at GITMO.

They aren't getting squat and the government will not even pay them mind. I hope they lose what little they got for their noise with lawyer and court fees.

lmao Now tell us what you really feel about Skinny Puppy and their music. NIMBY
Remember Duck n Cover? If the folks at Gitmo really wanted to torture people they could make em watch that over n over n over.

spaminator
+2
I don't know if this is his worst song but it should be bad enough to cause suicide.

Justin Bieber - Mistletoe - YouTube

EagleSmack
+1

Hey I've seen some of the weird programs your government funds, it's not that much of a stretch.

Government subsidies - AskMen (external - login to view)

(to be fair, we're on there too. but you guys got 6 out of 10 )

Oh we have some asinine and wasteful subsidies for sure. I hate the way our govt. wastes money. But a band... ANY band... thinking they're going to get the US Govt. to pay an invoice for playing their music? That's not happening.

Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

lmao Now tell us what you really feel about Skinny Puppy and their music. NIMBY

I think they should get extra air time at GITMO now. Maybe the guards can post their Skinny Puppy play list for them.

Quote:

Remember Duck n Cover? If the folks at Gitmo really wanted to torture people they could make em watch that over n over n over.

"Its a Small World After All"

They should play that over and over.

petros
At first I figured it was Nickelback. I've met one of the guys from Skinny Puppy. Kevin. Decent fella..

Blackleaf
It's not the only time that Canadian music has tortured people.

Zipperfish
+2
My old band backed up Skinny Puppy up one time--they were hardcore. Apparently they used Metallica at Gitmo too, but singer Hetfield is proud of it. Which is another reason anyone cool refers to them now as "The Band Formerly Known as Metallica."

Walter
+1
Skinny Puppy is in illustrious company.

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Nuggler
+1

Nothing in particular but the high pitched warble would grate on me after a while.

Once on the Carson show, Tiny Tim said he showered every time he defecated. (his words). Got the "Carson" look from Johnny,.
Well, ya hadda be there eh. (lol here)

SLM

Oh we have some asinine and wasteful subsidies for sure. I hate the way our govt. wastes money. But a band... ANY band... thinking they're going to get the US Govt. to pay an invoice for playing their music? That's not happening.

Well no kidding, that's what makes it all funny.

Plus it's great PR for their band too, lol.

Quote:

"Its a Small World After All"

They should play that over and over.

Dude! That is cold!!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

Once on the Carson show, Tiny Tim said he showered every time he defecated. (his words). Got the "Carson" look from Johnny,.
Well, ya hadda be there eh. (lol here)

I know the look, lol. Carson was the show we tried to stay up to watch when we were kids.