Watch those scarves, ladies

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just heard on C.B.C. radio a woman back east has died after her scarf got tangled up in the escalator that sucked her hair and she died of cardiac arrest. For Christ sakes be careful, put the god damn thing in your hand bag once out of the weather.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Remember those dust devil hand vaccums with the rotating thingamajig? My wife was vaccuming the stairs when her hair was entangled and wrapped around the rotating thing and knocked her out cold when the vaccum nailed her in the noggin.

She woke up with me standing over her with tears in my eyes from laughing and no idea what happened. Thankfully she thought it was funny too.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Remember those dust devil hand vaccums with the rotating thingamajig? My wife was vaccuming the stairs when her hair was entangled and wrapped around the rotating thing and knocked her out cold when the vaccum nailed her in the noggin.

She woke up with me standing over her with tears in my eyes from laughing and no idea what happened. Thankfully she thought it was funny too.

Between us maybe we can save a life, Petros.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hey, if you can't laugh at the bizarre things life throws your way, what can you laugh at?

I bet you'd find hubby's story about knocking me unconscious when I was 8 months pregnant, with his elbow, less than amusing. It gets great laughs at parties. Especially when he recreates the look on the intake nurse's face at the hospital as he explains what happened.

As to the incident JLM is discussing.....

I highly doubt she died from getting her hair and scarf stuck in an escalator. I strongly suspect she got her hair and scarf stuck in an escalator because she died. So long as you're not keeling over on an escalator due to a heart attack, your hair and scarf are perfectly safe.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Hey, if you can't laugh at the bizarre things life throws your way, what can you laugh at?

I bet you'd find hubby's story about knocking me unconscious when I was 8 months pregnant, with his elbow, less than amusing. It gets great laughs at parties. Especially when he recreates the look on the intake nurse's face at the hospital as he explains what happened.
I would point out the difference between laughing at a story when you know that everything turned out OK and laughing at someone who has been knocked unconscious whilst they are still unconscious, but why bother?

As I said, I find the suffering of others quite affirming.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Sounds like an ideal trap for scented, moustachioed keffiyeh-wearing hipsters.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I would point out the difference between laughing at a story when you know that everything turned out OK and laughing at someone who has been knocked unconscious whilst they are still unconscious, but why bother?

As I said, I find the suffering of others quite affirming.
When you know they'll be fine it's well worth the laugh.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

As to the incident JLM is discussing.....

I highly doubt she died from getting her hair and scarf stuck in an escalator. I strongly suspect she got her hair and scarf stuck in an escalator because she died. So long as you're not keeling over on an escalator due to a heart attack, your hair and scarf are perfectly safe.

That is NOT the way it was reported. The scarf got caught first, then the hair and then while help was being summoned she died of cardiac arrest. If you want to see another interesting incident with a scarf google Isadora Duncan.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That is NOT the way it was reported. The scarf got caught first, then the hair and then while help was being summoned she died of cardiac arrest. If you want to see another interesting incident with a scarf google Isadora Duncan.

When it was reported this morning they said she'd been found, already dead, and they they didn't know the details, other than that her hijab and hair were in the escalator. Why would a person bend over far enough to catch their hijab in an escalator? it's a close fitting head garment.