Republic of Canada

View Poll Results: Should Canada Go Republic?
Yes 8 53.33%
No 6 40.00%
Maybe so 1 6.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

petros
+1
Is it time we elected an MP, PM and Senate on seperate ballots like a true Democracy?

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
Goober
+1
WE just have to look south to see the repercussions.

L Gilbert
+5
#3  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

WE just have to look south to see the repercussions.

Unless we go the route the Swiss took. Plenty of democratic republics around that are better than our southern neighbors' version.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Unless we go the route the Swiss took. Plenty of democratic republics around that are better than our southern neighbors' version.

Been to Switzerland. Think we have economic inequality here?

You can buy jeans in Switzerland. Two classes. Under CHF30 or over CHF220. The under 30 ones are crap. WalMart wouldn't sell them. The over 220 ones are a dream of the "flying to the moon" type for working-class Swiss.

I never saw an intermediate class.

L Gilbert
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

You can buy jeans in Switzerland. Two classes. Under CHF30 or over CHF220. The under 30 ones are crap. WalMart wouldn't sell them. The over 220 ones are a dream of the "flying to the moon" type for working-class Swiss.

That can be remedied. The country is the closest thing to a direct democracy on the planet. Once "representatives" have the power, the people are fµcked.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

That can be remedied. The country is the closest thing to a direct democracy on the planet. Once "representatives" have the power, the people are fµcked.

If it can be remedied, how is it that it hasn't already been remedied in "the closest thing to a direct democracy on the planet"?

L Gilbert

If it can be remedied, how is it that it hasn't already been remedied in "the closest thing to a direct democracy on the planet"?

The Swiss are stubborn? They like it the way it is? I dunno.

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Is it time we elected an MP, PM and Senate on seperate ballots like a true Democracy?

I don't see what a republic has to do with it. The closest equivalent in the US to the Canadian Prime Minister is majority leader of the House of representatives, who is elected only by his constituents, just like the PM is. The closest equivalent to the US President is the Governor General. So if we were looking at a republic, it would make no sense to have the nation vote for Prime Minister. The prime minister of other republics like France and Russia are also elected only by their local constituents. It could make sense to elect the Governor General and rename him 'president' if that's what you were aiming at. But then again, I also see advantages to a monarchy, though we could possibly modify it somewhat to form a kind of elective monarchy.

petros

This has what to do with Canada going Republic.

BTW name another currency backed by gold other than the Franc.

Goober

Thing is every 4 years, with a majority Govt we can turf one set of critters out and bring in the other party's critters.

El Barto
I voted yes , but it is not just the government structure that needs to be changed , peoples attitude towards it, this deals with our daily lives we should be made to care and be up to speed with the mechanics of it.
As citizens we are too blaze about it, all we can do is complain

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by El BartoView Post

I voted yes , but it is not just the government structure that needs to be changed , peoples attitude towards it, this deals with our daily lives we should be made to care and be up to speed with the mechanics of it.

The Swiss have referendums. They also have a variety of distinct peoples as well.

Tecumsehsbones

I was pointing out that one of the most common gripes about "your neighbours to the south," income inequality, is as bad or worse in Switzerland. I'm surprised you didn't pick up on that.

Quote:

Never understood the sense of having a commodity-backed currency. Why gold? Why not uranium, or wheat, or Hula Hoops?

Locutus
All the gold that has ever been made has been made.

SLM
+3

Well yeah, anything more than that means we actually have to do something. Complaining is easier.

Thing is every 4 years, with a majority Govt we can turf one set of critters out and bring in the other party's critters.

Problem though is there is not that much difference between the critters.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

I don't see what a republic has to do with it. The closest equivalent in the US to the Canadian Prime Minister is majority leader of the House of representatives, who is elected only by his constituents, just like the PM is. The closest equivalent to the US President is the Governor General. So if we were looking at a republic, it would make no sense to have the nation vote for Prime Minister. The prime minister of other republics like France and Russia are also elected only by their local constituents. It could make sense to elect the Governor General and rename him 'president' if that's what you were aiming at. But then again, I also see advantages to a monarchy, though we could possibly modify it somewhat to form a kind of elective monarchy.

There is absolutely no use or benefit in a monarchy. The sooner we get rid of it the better. Nor do we need both a President and Prime Minister. One or the other will suffice.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
You need a Supreme Overlord. Just coz it would be kinda funny, "The Supreme Overlord of Canada."

taxslave
WE could use oil rather than gold to back our dollar. Much more useful.

Goober
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Well yeah, anything more than that means we actually have to do something. Complaining is easier.

Problem though is there is not that much difference between the critters.

I prefer minorities.
I likem lak this.

SLM

You need a Supreme Overlord. Just coz it would be kinda funny, "The Supreme Overlord of Canada."

That's Don Cherry.

I prefer minorities.
I likem lak this.

Yeah but all it takes is one cat my friend.

petros

WTF does that have to do with the price of rice in Portage la Prairie?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

That's Don Cherry.

Nice threads. And given your current choices, a fairly attractive candidate for Chief Executive.

WTF does that have to do with the price of rice in Portage la Prairie?

Asked and answered.

petros

I was pointing out that one of the most common gripes about "your neighbours to the south," income inequality, is as bad or worse in Switzerland. I'm surprised you didn't pick up on that.

Never understood the sense of having a commodity-backed currency. Why gold? Why not uranium, or wheat, or Hula Hoops?

If the CDN or USD were back by gold rather than oil like Switzerland would be like a trip to the outlet stores at the Geat Mall of China be a good thing?

14 months and we have one in SK.Will my levis last 5 years or 5 months?

El Barto
+1

I have just noticed , your avatar is passing gas and the wing is waving it away

Goober

The Romans had the position of Dictator.

Roman dictator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

petros

I have just noticed , your avatar is passing gas and the wing is waving it away

I saw a great av for him the other day but it was on my gadget.

Blue jeans and currencies aside, I want some real votes that mean something. You?

Goober
+2
Back on the topic. The Senate we presently have was supposed to be and provide that sober second thought and review of Govt Bills. It turned into a payoff fund for the corrupted system we have.
Canadians are to ffn mellow.

El Barto

I saw a great av for him the other day but it was on my gadget.

Blue jeans and currencies aside, I want some real votes that mean something. You?

real votes? it's a must

taxslave
Emperor has a nice ring to it.

petros

real votes? it's a must

Look up my MP Andrew Scheer and tell me is he's worth anything as an MP.

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Emperor has a nice ring to it.

So does your brown star butt lets not go there.