There are no longer any Liberal Senators

petros
+4
They are all independent. The next Liberal senator will be an elected one.

Good move Pony Boy.

Locutus
+1
It's something.

mentalfloss
+1
Was just about to post this.

Indeed a good, shiny move.

Justin Trudeau to remove senators from Liberal caucus

petros
I'm all for a Democratic Senate.

lone wolf
+3
Good to have no colours to hide behind when one gets greedy at the trough

Goober
+1
And any stink coming does not cling to him.

SLM
Smooth move on his part, gotta say.

Goober
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Smooth move on his part, gotta say.

Yep- the Senate is finally getting around to having some rules to penalize Senators. Now why did Harper not push that thru his lapdogs.

lone wolf
Harper wants it GONE.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
Gotta agree with the Kid on this one. But I am skeptical that Senators who are [air quotes] independent [end air quotes]will actually be that. The only way to rid this scourge will be to get rid of the whole kitten caboodle. The senate does not benefit Canada and has not for a number of years done anything to keep the serving government in check.

petros
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Harper wants it GONE.

So why isn't it? He needs another 8 years to think about it?

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

It's that whole Canadian Parliamentary thing. It needs to be straightened out-rewritten-studied... We need a study! And focus groups! Lots of focus groups! And consultants. Yeah gimme some consultants baby!

lone wolf
+3

...and a Constitutional dogfight to do it

taxslave
I wonder how that will go over with the party faithful? Especially the ones inline for a golden retirement.

captain morgan
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

It's that whole Canadian Parliamentary thing. It needs to be straightened out-rewritten-studied... We need a study! And focus groups! Lots of focus groups! And consultants. Yeah gimme some consultants baby!

I think that we just found your next career move RCS.

'Consultant to the Oversight Committee on Studies and Focus Groups.'

Corporate Advice - The longer the title of your consultancy equates to a much higher per diem you can charge.

Locutus
Sergeant at Strong Arms.

petros

Can I focus through the optics of my tikka and inject .270 opinions?

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1

Can I focus through the optics of my tikka and inject .270 opinions?

For a fee. Nothing's free brother.

petros
+2
I paid my 4 bits to see a high divin' act and I'm gonna see a high divin' act.

55Mercury
+1
was junior having a "just watch me" moment?

lol

SLM

Ahem, that's Commission. Royal Commission.

BornRuff
+4

Harper wants it GONE.

That was his position before he was in office. Since then he has been more than happy to utilize it, and apparently abuse it, to solidify his power.

lone wolf
Leopard doesn't change its spots. He's Reform all the way. What better way to kill it than to seat your most vocal opponents then sink them in their greed and government doublespeak?

BornRuff

Leopard doesn't change its spots. He's Reform all the way. What better way to kill it than to seat your most vocal opponents then sink them in their greed and government doublespeak?

I agree with you, but I disagree with you on what his spots really were all along.

Harper's true love has always been power, and he has always been willing to say whatever it takes to get that power. Back in the day, senate reform was an issue that he was able to use to help his rise to power. Once he had power, the senate became something that he could use to solidify his position.

On Justin;

This move by Justin looks good on him right now, but it is symbolic at best and self serving at worst.

The fact is that the Liberals gain nothing from having party discipline in the senate. They only have 32 seats to 57 conservatives. Any vote down party lines is lost, and even if they take back the PMO it will still be a very very long time before they could replace enough senators to regain a majority. If the power structure doesn't work in your favor, what do you have to lose by saying "**** it, burn it to the ground".

If they somehow could pressure the Conservatives into following their lead(which wont happen), it would give the Liberals more power in the senate.

Locutus
Oh. Shiny Pony!

I'm almost positive this isn't about (external - login to view) the Senate audit and trying to distance the soon to be jailed from the "Liberal" trademark. </sarc>

That said, good, but surprises are not good in politics, ever.

Oh. Shiny Pony! - Small Dead Animals (external - login to view)

Machjo
+1

They are all independent. The next Liberal senator will be an elected one.

Good move Pony Boy.

Definitely a good move. A non-partisan senate. Now if we can do that for Parliament.

Goober
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

Definitely a good move. A non-partisan senate. Now if we can do that for Parliament.

Do you think those 32 are now suddenly non partisan.

damngrumpy
There could be a good reason for this. In the coming days or weeks the full
audit of all Senators will be made publick and I am sure there will be more
names added to the offenders list many of them Liberalls. Should be an
interesting ride through history

WLDB
Interesting and unexpected move. He may be able to kick them out of caucus but he cant actually revoke their membership in the party. A technicality but its still a tie to the party beyond "friendship." I dont think its partisanship that is the main problem with the Senate. They can and do vote however they want there rather than along strict party lines. Once they are in the Senate no one can really remove them unless they break the law which gives them the freedom to vote as they wish - unlike the House of Commons. Harper found that out the hard way when the Senators he appointed turned on him and his plan for Senate reform.

#juan
+3

Gotta agree with the Kid on this one. But I am skeptical that Senators who are [air quotes] independent [end air quotes]will actually be that. The only way to rid this scourge will be to get rid of the whole kitten caboodle. The senate does not benefit Canada and has not for a number of years done anything to keep the serving government in check.

The "kid" is 43 years old. The "kid" is going to kick Harper's a$$, or McKay's depending who is still there.