Ooooops. The Ark wasn't Noah's.......

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A 4000-year-old tablet from ancient Mesopotamia contains the specifications for an ark pre-dating the story of Noah

This is not the first time the ancient story of the ark has been found outside of the bible. But it is the earliest.

The British Museum yesterday put the recently deciphered clay tablet from ancient Mesopotamia - now Iraq - on display.
It's claimed to be one of the most important archaeological discoveries ever.

What it contains are specifications for the legendary Ark which was said to have saved two of each animal - and a handful of humans - from a catastrophic flood.

But some of the details are different to the generally known version.

It describes a circular vessel known as a coracle, not the rectangular vessel of modern mythology.

"It was really a heart-stopping moment - the discovery that the boat was to be a round boat," the tablet's discoverer, Irving Finkel said.

"That was a real surprise."

The tablet records a Mesopotamian god's instructions for building a giant vessel - two-thirds the size of a soccer field in area - made of rope, reinforced with wooden ribs and coated in bitumen.

Etched in the clay is one of the story's key elements: It describes how the animals must enter "two by two".

more

A 4000-year-old tablet from ancient Mesopotamia contains the specifications for an ark pre-dating the story of Noah | News.com.au

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
round? maybe it was a flying saucer? ;)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Wow, I stand in awe of finds such as this. They are truly mind blowing. Truly!!! Nice find tay ♦
The Abraham narrative was Sumerian. The Jews said he was circumcised to make him the first Jew when all they did was steal the story from the Sumerian Gilgamesh story. I don't get how circumcision makes you a Jew. I'm circumcised and I'm not Jewish.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The Abraham narrative was Sumerian. The Jews said he was circumcised to make him the first Jew when all they did was steal the story from the Sumerian Gilgamesh story. I don't get how circumcision makes you a Jew. I'm circumcised and I'm not Jewish.
I love it, how these findings pop up. Can't be argued with. And round...that is wild but makes sense..it wasn't going anywhere, there was no destination, it just had to float, and round would be more stable.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
There is the little bit less information I could do with out this morning :D

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I love it, how these findings pop up. Can't be argued with. And round...that is wild but makes sense..it wasn't going anywhere, there was no destination, it just had to float, and round would be more stable.
Climate Change alarmists are freaking out over a mm or two in rise of sea level. People lived through 1400m in sea level rise and used oil sands and lumber (no doubt good oily pine) to save their asses

. I'm circumcised and I'm not Jewish.
The mark of the Beast

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
There is the little bit less information I could do with out this morning :D
If that makes you squeamish, have I got one for you: a few years back, I woke up in hell - I woke up at 2 am to find that I dropped a wet fart and I don't wear PJs.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Christianophobic scum. I saw more worthy life when I was de-nitted at school.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
this information in fact has been around a long time. The flood story stolen
from other societies prior the fire story was also stolen and any other story.
The fact is gerry is right here, the flood fire and other acts of God were in
fact stories with a message for people. The message is destructive behavior
produces consequences and everyone paints them into literal historic facts.
Take the stories of jesus fasting forty days in the desert, or Alibaba and the
forty thieves. In Aramaic and some Arab dialects I understand the word forty
means many not a literal term 40. Therefore today we would say Jesus
spent many days fasting in the desert. Big difference from Literal term forty.
I am surprised Noah and the rest of the Biblical writers have not been charged
with falsification of historical fact before a Senate Sub committee of some kind.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The flood story wasn't stolen. Lots of societies over the millenia who never even had any contact with one another whatsoever have had similar flood stories. And there's an obvious reason for that.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Doesn't throw any doubt into anything, unless you're a literalist.
The ark version or this version was a tale of super men of sorts for children that held a strong faith in God's guidance.

Why people look down on the people back then as fearful morons afraid of thunderstorms is incorrigible.

The Epic Gilgamesh was pretty much novel of it's time. They enjoyed being entertained just like we do. They were smart people undergoing rapid technological change and apparently trying to recuperate what they had lost

They had plenty of trade, knowledge of each other, wars which do involved pillaging knowledge, art, spiritual beliefs and history.

If we ( as man) witnessed the Mediterranean and Black Seas rising 100s of metres and wiping out city after city and tribe after tribe sq Km after sq km of crop and grazing land gone in an instant It would be well remembered.

When the Med ripped open Bosphorus strait millions of people would have been wiped out in hours and all their compiled history and knowledge.

That kind of sh*t is something you talk about for a long f*cking time.