Boy, 8, dies rescuing others from fire

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

QMI AGENCY

Jan 22, 2014 , Last Updated: 5:40 PM ET

An eight-year-old boy died Monday attempting to rescue his disabled grandpa from a fire after he'd already saved six others.
CNN reports that East Rochester's Tyler J. Doohan was staying with relatives in Penfield, N.Y., when he noticed a fire in their mobile home early Monday morning.
By the time firefighters arrived at 4:45 a.m., Tyler had already woken six other people, including two kids aged four and six, in time to get them out of the trailer.
Against the wishes of his aunt, Tyler went back into the home to get his grandfather, who is disabled and could not leave on his own.
Officials said it appeared Tyler was trying to lift his grandfather from bed when the both died from smoke inhalation. The two were very close, according to family.
"It makes me really proud, it really does, but I just want him back," Tyler's mother, Crystal Vrooman, told CNN affiliate WHAM.
Tyler's uncle was also killed in the blaze.

Without detracting from his awesome heroics, I've got to ask why his Aunt didn't prevent him from going back inside.

Against the wishes of his aunt, Tyler went back into the home to get his grandfather,
I sure as hell hope that's just the press really writing the circumstances very poorly because that makes it seem as though she advised him against going back in but didn't actually try to stop him. He was only eight, a really brave eight no doubt, but still only an eight year old boy.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

I sure as hell hope that's just the press really writing the circumstances very poorly because that makes it seem as though she advised him against going back in but didn't actually try to stop him. He was only eight, a really brave eight no doubt, but still only an eight year old boy.

Kids that young can be very fast and have a hell of a lot of energy. In a situation like this I imagine there was probably an adrenaline rush that only amplified that. They dont really say what condition the aunt was in. If she was hurt, elderly, had any disabilities or anything - plus she had to watch over all the other kids. It probably would not be hard for the boy to get away from her.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Kids that young can be very fast and have a hell of a lot of energy. In a situation like this I imagine there was probably an adrenaline rush that only amplified that. They dont really say what condition the aunt was in. If she was hurt, elderly, had any disabilities or anything - plus she had to watch over all the other kids. It probably would not be hard for the boy to get away from her.

I'm hoping that's what it is, the way it is written it doesn't come across right. And again, not to detract from all the good he did, but he was way too young to die.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
but he was way too young to die.

Unfortunately nature doesnt care about that. Most people who have ever lived never reached adulthood. Up until fairly recently that was still very common. Still is in some places. He was very young but he did far more good in his life than I have - or most people I know. I've never saved a life, he saved several and died trying to save another. Unless he had a very sheltered life he was old enough to know he could die by going back in but he still did. I dont know if Id do that now, much less at 8. The article says it was smoke inhalation that killed him which means he probably didnt suffer. A relatively painless death while trying to save others - its tragic but as far as dying goes its not a bad way to go.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Unfortunately nature doesnt care about that. Most people who have ever lived never reached adulthood. Up until fairly recently that was still very common. Still is in some places. He was very young but he did far more good in his life than I have - or most people I know. I've never saved a life, he saved several and died trying to save another. Unless he had a very sheltered life he was old enough to know he could die by going back in but he still did. I dont know if Id do that now, much less at 8. The article says it was smoke inhalation that killed him which means he probably didnt suffer. A relatively painless death while trying to save others - its tragic but as far as dying goes its not a bad way to go.

Maybe you're right but the mother in me wants to rage against this young boy's life being shortened. Accidents can be prevented. It's not the same thing as disease or illness taking a young life. Yes that's sad too, tragic even. But there's no reason an eight year old should be the sole reason that people awaken when a house is on fire. That's what smoke detectors are for.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

QMI AGENCY

Jan 22, 2014 , Last Updated: 5:40 PM ET

An eight-year-old boy died Monday attempting to rescue his disabled grandpa from a fire after he'd already saved six others.
CNN reports that East Rochester's Tyler J. Doohan was staying with relatives in Penfield, N.Y., when he noticed a fire in their mobile home early Monday morning.
By the time firefighters arrived at 4:45 a.m., Tyler had already woken six other people, including two kids aged four and six, in time to get them out of the trailer.
Against the wishes of his aunt, Tyler went back into the home to get his grandfather, who is disabled and could not leave on his own.
Officials said it appeared Tyler was trying to lift his grandfather from bed when the both died from smoke inhalation. The two were very close, according to family.
"It makes me really proud, it really does, but I just want him back," Tyler's mother, Crystal Vrooman, told CNN affiliate WHAM.
Tyler's uncle was also killed in the blaze.

Without detracting from his awesome heroics, I've got to ask why his Aunt didn't prevent him from going back inside.

Definitely poorly written. The grammar actually made me cringe mentally.
Mobile homes are the architectural equivalents of magician's flashpaper. I forget the period of time it takes fire to completely gut a mobile home but it is shockingly short.