So ya think you can drive and park? Or more appropriately fly and land?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
So ya think you can drive and park?
Or more appropriately fly and land?
Kids - Do not try this at home.

Rosetta probe to land on comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko | National Post
As long as the vector of the comet is constant and the velocity is as well, it shouldn't be that difficult. Of course, if the rock is tumbling at a fairly rapid rate, the landing would be extremely tricky. I am guessing the folks launbching this probe have chosen a more hospitable host for the probe.
The analogy the scientists provided is quite a bit off. It would be more like a fruit fly landing on a howitzer round.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
As long as the vector of the comet is constant and the velocity is as well, it shouldn't be that difficult. Of course, if the rock is tumbling at a fairly rapid rate, the landing would be extremely tricky. I am guessing the folks launbching this probe have chosen a more hospitable host for the probe.
The analogy the scientists provided is quite a bit off. It would be more like a fruit fly landing on a howitzer round.

Well comets do give off the odd chunk now and again. I wonder if they have glass insurance.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It's after 1:30 pm Monday...

After wake-up, Rosetta will still be about 9 million kilometres from the comet. But by May it will just 1.9 million kilometres from its target, and scientists expect to be able to make final calculations about the comet’s position and orbit. After extensive mapping of the comet’s surface during August and September, a landing site for the mission’s 100 kilogram Philae probe will be chosen.