Jewelers and Fisherman urge EPA to protect Bristol Bay

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The EPA assessment report notes that even under routine operation, the mine would destroy up to 94 miles of salmon stream, and over 5000 acres of wetland, lakes, and ponds. 8O

Bristol Bay being the most productive salmon fishery in the world, employing 14,000 and with an annual value of nearly $500 million.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) released its final report on Alaska’s Bristol Bay watershed, where the proposed Pebble gold and copper mine is located, and concluded that mineral extraction could have a devastating impact on the region's wild salmon fishery, among other concerns.

“There are some places where mining cannot be done without forever damaging landscapes, wildlife, businesses and communities,” said Michael J. Kowalski, the CEO of Tiffany & Co. “Bristol Bay is one such place. We, along with many of our fellow jewelers, urge the EPA to use its authority under the Clean Water Act to safeguard Bristol Bay and the communities and fishery it supports.”

More than 100 jewelers have expressed support for protecting the Bristol Bay watershed by stopping the Pebble mine development. In 2013, Anglo American withdrew from its partnership with Northern Dynasty Minerals to build the Pebble mine, while Alaskan tribes along with commercial fishermen have petitioned the EPA to use its power under the Clean Water Act’s section 404(c) to protect the fishery by restricting harmful mine waste disposal.
Diamonds.net - Jewelers, Fisherman Urge EPA to Safeguard Bristol Bay

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Clear it would be a disaster. It should sit in the ground until a better process is developed. Not like it will lose value over the next decades.

From the article.

Bristol Bay is reported to be the largest sockeye salmon fishery, producing almost half of the world's supply and it employees 14,000 full- and part-time workers. The vast region is also home to several native Alaskan tribes. The EPA report didn't address a specific mine; however, it concluded possible impact to the environment from any mining activity in the region.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Are the sockeye introduced or is it a natural run?

The fishery is over 100 years old. Canneries were a booming business in the late 1800s, and they brought in many Asian labourers because of the expense of operating canneries so far North. Today Alaska does use hatchery production to sustain their catch size though.