Did He Just Forget About The Pipe Bomb In His Pocket?

SLM
Man with pipe bomb allowed on flight out of Edmonton: Report

QMI Agency

Jan 15, 2014 , Last Updated: 10:27 AM ET

A man has been fined after he tried to bring a pipe bomb through security at Edmonton International Airport and was allowed to board his flight anyway, according to a CBC report.
The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) confiscated the device and allowed the man to get on the Sept. 20 flight, but then the agency alerted RCMP four days later, the broadcaster reports.
Cops arrested Skylar Vincent Murphy, 18, of Spruce Grove, Alta., on Sept. 27, and charged him with possession of an explosive substance.
"The RCMP investigation indicates that the charge stems from an isolated incident, and that no other individuals were involved," Sgt. Josee Valiquette said in a statement about the arrest.
Last month, Murphy pleaded guilty and was given a $100 fine and one year's probation, the report says.
When questioned by the CBC as to why Murphy was allowed to board the flight, a CATSA spokeswoman said screeners don't have the authority to make arrests, only to alert police.

Man with pipe bomb allowed on flight out of Edmonton: Report

Unreal.

petros
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
I carry at least two on me at all times. Don't you?

WTF? And I miss two flights because I had RDX residue on my boots from working in mining.

SLM
+1
Who goes to the airport innocently carrying a pipe bomb?

petros
+1
CATSA is a waste of money.

BornRuff
Well, he just had a bomb in his pocket. If he had been dumb enough to say the word bomb, then their might have been cause for serious action.

Man, 81, charged after saying 'bomb' at P.E.I. airport - Canada - CBC News

petros
Becareful not to say allahluia either even if God does have the same name with Christians amd Muzzies (sometimes)

EagleSmack
Fined?! FINED? Fined and allowed to proceed?!

F*ing WOW!

petros
+1
He was white.

karrie
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

I carry at least two on me at all times. Don't you?

WTF? And I miss two flights because I had RDX residue on my boots from working in mining.

Well yeah, of course you're held back, because the assumption is, where there's residue, there's a bomb, and they just haven't found it yet. With this guy, they knew where the bomb was, so what's the harm in putting him on the plane? lol.

And seriously, 4 DAYS later they called the cops? Uhm, seriously?

"I thought that was Bill's job."

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

Well yeah, of course you're held back, because the assumption is, where there's residue, there's a bomb, and they just haven't found it yet. With this guy, they knew where the bomb was, so what's the harm in putting him on the plane? lol.

I suspect he will get off. If I was his defence lawyer I would say the security staff took 4 days to fabricate the evidence and frame him.

EagleSmack
+1
"Ha Ha! You almost got us Sir! Enjoy your flight."

BornRuff
+1

This is going to be my new trick.

Show up looking like the guy below so they never think to look for the bottle of shampoo over 100 ml that I have stashed in my crotch.

Cliffy
Ruff, what have you done? You have to post images to your Photobucket or similar account first.

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Ruff, what have you done? You have to post images to your Photobucket or similar account first.

The first picture on google images had a really weird source URL. It should be fixed now though, no?

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

The first picture on google images had a really weird source URL. It should be fixed now though, no?

Yup.

SLM
+1
How come store security at Walmart can detain a shoplifter until the police arrive but the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority can't hold onto a guy carrying a bomb until the cops get there?

Maybe Walmart should be running airport security? LOL

(And I'm only half joking)

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I suspect he will get off. If I was his defence lawyer I would say the security staff took 4 days to fabricate the evidence and frame him.

He's already been sentenced. $100 fine and a year's probation. What a joke.

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

How come store security at Walmart can detain a shoplifter until the police arrive but the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority can't hold onto a guy carrying a bomb until the cops get there?

Maybe Walmart should be running airport security? LOL

(And I'm only half joking)

They obviously can hold people until police get there. Hell, I, with absolutely no position of authority, can legally hold someone until the cops arrive.

SLM

They obviously can hold people until police get there. Hell, I, with absolutely no position of authority, can legally hold someone until the cops arrive.

Yes I know, I was mocking the absurdity of the statement made by the spokesperson.

But think about the last time you went through a store doorway when they didn't demagnetize the product that was purchased. Alarms blaring, you'd almost think the Fort Knox was being attacked. Here in this case, a $100 fine. Honestly the ridiculousness of it cannot be over stated.

karrie

Yes I know, I was mocking the absurdity of the statement made by the spokesperson.

But think about the last time you went through a store doorway when they didn't demagnetize the product that was purchased. Alarms blaring, you'd almost think the Fort Knox was being attacked. Here in this case, a $100 fine. Honestly the ridiculousness of it cannot be over stated.

I used to have a purse with a chip in it somewhere, that would go off. So, when I'd walk in, they'd wave me in, and when I walked out, they'd go 'oh yeah, right, you, go ahead', without ever looking. I could have filled my boots between coming in, and going out, if I was so criminally inclined.

SLM

I used to have a purse with a chip in it somewhere, that would go off. So, when I'd walk in, they'd wave me in, and when I walked out, they'd go 'oh yeah, right, you, go ahead', without ever looking. I could have filled my boots between coming in, and going out, if I was so criminally inclined.

Oh for sure, I've had that happen too. But most places still have the damned alarm at rock concert decibel levels, lol.

BornRuff

I honestly don't care so much about the punishment. The fact that he was allowed to board the plane is what bothers me the most. I hope he was at least put through a very thorough cavity search, with all his luggage ripped apart as well.

SLM
+1

I honestly don't care so much about the punishment. The fact that he was allowed to board the plane is what bothers me the most. I hope he was at least put through a very thorough cavity search, with all his luggage ripped apart as well.

I do and I don't care about the punishment. What I care about, honestly, is consistency with both airport security measures and application of the law. Don't forget, this is not someone who simply had nail scissors removed from their carry on, this was a pipe bomb. Fairly certain if you build a pipe bomb and don't go anywhere near an airport you've still committed an indictable offense.

How much confidence in airport security measures does it fill you with that he was so casually treated by airport security staff? Even if he really is just a really stupid yahoo, he still built a bomb and then tried to get onto an airplane. Now I wouldn't doubt if the fine is a result of the police getting the information about an explosive device so long after the fact, they probably couldn't charge him accordingly. But I don't know that, it's just a guess.

CATSA needs to take this issue far more seriously than it does.

DaSleeper

Why didn't they run the purse on the pad at one of the counters?

taxslave

Government union employees.

karrie
+3
Edmonton Airport tried to give teenager his pipe bomb back after he went through security: report | National Post

lol!! oh my gawd, this gets better and better.

JLM
From what I can gather once he handed the pipe bomb over the danger was eliminated! Anyway lots of bureaucrats in an uproar! -

Ron in Regina
+2
Israel Airport Explosive Booth!!!

TEL AVIV, Israel — The Israelis are developing an airport security device that eliminates the privacy concerns that come with full-body scanners. It's an armored booth you step into that will not X-ray you, but will detonate any explosive device you may have on your person.

Too bad this isn't true: snopes.com: Airport Bomb Booth
Last edited by Ron in Regina; Jan 15th, 2014 at 10:09 PM..Reason: Copy & paste freak out multiples somehow....

BornRuff

I do and I don't care about the punishment. What I care about, honestly, is consistency with both airport security measures and application of the law. Don't forget, this is not someone who simply had nail scissors removed from their carry on, this was a pipe bomb. Fairly certain if you build a pipe bomb and don't go anywhere near an airport you've still committed an indictable offense.

How much confidence in airport security measures does it fill you with that he was so casually treated by airport security staff? Even if he really is just a really stupid yahoo, he still built a bomb and then tried to get onto an airplane. Now I wouldn't doubt if the fine is a result of the police getting the information about an explosive device so long after the fact, they probably couldn't charge him accordingly. But I don't know that, it's just a guess.

CATSA needs to take this issue far more seriously than it does.

First and foremost I want to know that they are taking reasonable precautions to keep me safe. Someone who has been found to be trying to bring a bomb onto a plane should not be anywhere near a plane for a very long time.

I don't know what kind of punishment is warranted and I honestly don't know how much it would really do to prevent future events like this. I really just want to know that people like this are not on my aircraft.

JLM

First and foremost I want to know that they are taking reasonable precautions to keep me safe. Someone who has been found to be trying to bring a bomb onto a plane should not be anywhere near a plane for a very long time.

I don't know what kind of punishment is warranted and I honestly don't know how much it would really do to prevent future events like this. I really just want to know that people like this are not on my aircraft.

I think the airport staff is probably much more guilty than the kid is. Are all "pipe bombs" created equal? Was it accompanied with explosives?

Or maybe more pertinent, staff like that are not at your airport. -