Two schoolboys return home from metal detecting with two WWII bombs

Blackleaf
Two schoolboys sparked a bomb scare when they returned home from metal detecting in a field - by bringing two WWII anti-tank shells home with them.

The boys, Kane Byrne and Alex Taylor, both 12, from Folkestone, Kent, were looking for trinkets and coins when they discovered the shells from WWII, which have since been identified as anti-tank shells.

The shells, which can 'vaporise anything within 6ft', were eventually destroyed in a controlled explosion by the police.

The war may have officially ended nearly 70 years ago, but this shows it hasn't completely gone away.

Father’s terror when schoolboys, 12, return home from metal detecting with World War II shells

Went metal detecting on school day off, returned with anti-tank shells

Shells could have 'vaporised anything within 6ft' if overheated

Identified by cameraphone pictures by grandfather: former bomb disposal

Tank missiles destroyed by police and bomb squad after scare

By Luke Garratt
15 January 2014
Daily Mail

Two schoolboys sparked a bomb scare when they brought home two warheads after spending a day metal detecting in a field in Kent.

The boys, Kane Byrne and Alex Taylor, both 12, from Folkestone, were looking for trinkets and coins when they discovered the shells from WWII, which have since been identified as anti-tank shells.

The shells, which can 'vaporise anything within 6ft', were eventually destroyed in a controlled explosion by the police.

Kane Byrne (left) and Alex Taylor (right) both 12, discovered the unexploded anti-tank shells when they were searching for trinkets in a local field using a metal detector

The muddied wartime rocket heads were destroyed by the police and bomb disposal experts, and were identified from these photographs by Mike Woodland, Kane Byrne's grandfather

The missiles were found in a field in the seaside town of Folkestone, Kent, while the boys had a day off

They were identified by Kane's grandfather, Mike Woodland, a former Royal Engineer bomb disposal expert, who said the weapons were defused but they needed to call the police.

Karl Byrne, the schoolboy's father, placed the warheads in a bag meanwhile and positioned them at the back garden so they didn’t overheat and explode.

Mr Byrne, 42, an area manager for Lidl, said: 'When I saw those warheads in the house my face said it all.

'They wanted to show me the treasures that Kane had brought back.

'I felt panicked but kept calm for the children. I knew what those objects were.'

The boys went exploring when they had the day off from Dover Grammar School for Boys because of flooding.

'We didn’t really know what they were at first. But I’m glad we found them because they’ve now been made safe,' 12-year-old Kane said.

'It’s not put me off metal detecting but the police told me that next time I find something I’m not sure about to tell my dad first.

Alex, also from Folkestone, added: “We dug it out and it looked like a large bottle. It was about 1ft deep in the ground.

'We took it back to Kane’s house and cleaned it and decided to go back to see if there were more.

'We found the second one had been right next to the first and brought that back, too.

The rockets were identified from this picture by a former member of the Royal Engineers bomb disposal team

The friends found the muddied rockets in a field in Folkestone near Kent

Read more: Terror when schoolboys, 12, return home from metal detecting with World War II shells | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Last edited by Blackleaf; Jan 15th, 2014 at 02:26 PM..

Tecumsehsbones
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
The good news is that since they're too stupid to leave UXO alone, they probably won't live to reproduce.

Think of it as evolution in action.

#juan
quote:
The shells, which can 'vaporize anything within 6ft', were eventually destroyed in a controlled explosion by the police. A little exageration ?......maybe a lot.

Nuggler
Bloody good fing they didn 'it one wiff a 'ammah

Spade
When I read the title I thought the boys were using bombs as metal detectors. That would have been interesting!

Blackleaf
Good to see kids these days playing outdoors, getting fresh air and exercise and experiencing a little bit of danger, rather than sat on their arses on the couch all day playing Call of Duty or watching Neighbours like a lot of them do nowadays.

When I was a kid I was always out playing on my bike and making rope swings over that 200ft ravine at Crompton Lodges.

DaSleeper
When my son was about 10 years old, he built a miniature canon, fully operational with home-made black powder and home-made fuses and wads of tinfoil for canon ball....
He had everybody's attention at the school science fair.....
Thirty years later, he doesn't even own a rifle and doesn't hunt.......go figure...
I still have that little momento of his early years.....

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

When my son was about 10 years old, he built a miniature canon, fully operational with home-made black powder and home-made fuses and wads of tinfoil for canon ball....
He had everybody's attention at the school science fair.....
Thirty years later, he doesn't even own a rifle and doesn't hunt.......go figure...
I still have that little momento of his early years.....

Copper tubing Das ?? Yikes.

We made .22 zip guns. Deadly but inaccurate.

Those kids probably knew what they had and suspected they were dangerous. Glad no one was hurt.

Blackleaf
I remember as a kid when we use to make 2p bombs. We used to wrap 2p coins in caps from cap guns, stick them in place on the coin using some cellotape, and then we used to take them into school - Masefield County Primary - where we used throw them onto the playground at play time or dinner time, causing loud bangs, lots of blue smoke, and little girls screaming in fright.

It was just the 100 lines we were made to do as punishment afterwards that wasn't so fun.

Nuggler
you did 100 lines. No wonder you is the way you is. That Columbian shyte'll mess you up. (so I'm told)

no new posts