H5N1 bird flu death in Canada is North America's first case

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Canadian health officials said Wednesday a fatal case of H5N1 bird flu has been reported in Canada, the first such case in North America. The victim was travelling from China when symptoms first appeared.

Health Minister Rona Ambrose said the case, in Alberta, was an isolated one and that the risk to the general public is very low.

CTV News reports the victim was a woman in her late 20s who spent several weeks in China.

Officials said the person began to feel ill on a flight to Canada from Beijing on Dec. 27. They said it was the first case of H5N1 circulating in Beijing and said China looking is looking into it.

"This is the first evidence of this particular virus circulating in Beijing. Chinese authorities are going to be very interested. We've contacted them already," Dr. Gregory Taylor, deputy chief health officer in Canada, said.

Taylor said the victim only visited Beijing in China. The victim did not travel to a farm or visit markets, he said.

The World Health Organization says that as of mid-December, there had been 648 laboratory-confirmed human cases of H5N1 flu, reported mostly in Asia. Of that total, 384 infections have been fatal.

Dr. Nikki Shindo, a medical officer with the WHO, told CTV the news is "substantial"since it's the first case in North America, and the agency is awaiting samples of the virus for testing.

Experts are cautious when it comes to bird flu viruses infecting humans. They have been closely watching the H5N1 bird flu virus. The virus remains hard to catch with most human infections linked to contact with infected poultry, but scientists fear it could mutate and spread rapidly among people, potentially sparking a pandemic.

There is no evidence that anyone else was infected by the victim. Dr. James Talbot, Alberta's chief medical officer of health, said that family members of the victim are being monitored and treated with medication, but noted that there's nothing to indicate they are sick. Talbot said two companions travelled with the victim but have shown no signs of becoming sick.

"This is not a disease that's transmitted between humans so unless you were in the infected in the area and were in contact with an infected bird you are not going to get this illness," Dr. Theresa Tam of Health Canada said.

source: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/h5n1-bird-flu-death-in-canada-is-north-americas-first-case/

Open door immigration policy now biting you in the *** "eh?"

Now Canadian's get to die for the Liberals open door immigration policies...

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Open door immigration policy now biting you in the *** "eh?"

Now Canadian's get to die for the Liberals open door immigration policies...

She was a 28 year old resident of Red Deer, and a nurse at the local hospital. I fail to see how the fact that she'd taken two months to travel around China, and fell ill before returning home to her job, reflects on our immigration policy.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
This tragic death of a young woman whose profession was helping ill Canadians has absolutely nothing to do with immigration policy. Shame on those who try to score cheap political points by drawing a specious connection.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This tragic death of a young woman whose profession was helping ill Canadians has absolutely nothing to do with immigration policy. Shame on those who try to score cheap political points by drawing a specious connection.

It's just one of those sad things that you have to chalk up to "there's an exception to every rule".

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie, Spade... you mean don't attack Liberals..
]

Not when it's based on idiocy, no.

I don't really care which political party you attack, but make valid points. You're talking about someone who was a member of my community, as if she was an illegal alien, when she wasn't. I've seen the tears shed by her coworkers and former classmates, and you're rambling about immigration.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Look I provided links, it's not just "illegals" it's legal immigrants that come to the USA and Canada are now bringing new deceases..

You're a health provider, so you know that we are very lucky to live in North America where we have basic health care, but many countries don't have the same technology, or health care and we have an open door policy for these countries because bleeding heart Liberals feels sorry for these people..

Yeah, this lady died by travelling to China and brought back H5N1, have you been to Richmond, BC.. and many of those immigrants travel back to see family regurally to China...

Pandora's box has been opened... we need to somehow put a lid on it.. at least Canada does, or the USA should require Canadians to get Visa's and a medical clearance to enter the USA as is required by many countries coming to the USA.

Poverty both in Canada and the USA is another problem area for new illness.

Chagas Disease: Poverty, Immigration, and the 'New HIV/AIDS' - Wired Science

Read the article from this bright young lady (link above)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Look I provided links, it's not just "illegals" it's legal immigrants that come to the USA and Canada are now bringing new deceases..

I'm not a health care provider.

And yes, people travel around the country. That's not an immigration issue, that's a globalization issue. I travel, you travel, people expatriate for work. I have family living in China right now. They are Canadian citizens, just as capable of bringing disease home with them as a Chinese person is.

It is an issue of free movement across borders, not the papers someone carries, or the colour of their skin.

Immigration is a red herring, because the people who bitch and moan about immigrants and diseases, aren't trying to prevent tourists from jetting off around the world.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Boomer, the disrespect you exhibit towards the woman and her family is unwarranted. An apology is in order. You may regain some credibility.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Boomer, the disrespect you exhibit towards the woman and her family is unwarranted. An apology is in order. You may regain some credibility.

Immigrants like my sis in San Antonio and the 30 others she works with from Canada?

...and they had to get blood tests to get their work permits.. correct.

You don't in Canada... at least 15 years ago you didn't.. I don't know if that has changed..

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie, I would like to see a QUARANTY from travelers going over seas.. we have to do it to our pets.

you'd like to see all international travelers quarantined? For how long? For what illnesses? Would it apply to dual citizens traveling back and forth? or only if you go to the 'wrong' countries?