Christie apologizes for scandal, fires deputy chief of staff, ousts top political aid

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Christie apologizes for scandal, fires deputy chief of staff, ousts top political aide
I recall reading of other punitive measures that were laid at the Governors door.

Gov. Christie apologizes for scandal, fires deputy chief of staff, ousts top political aide - The Washington Post

Ex-Christie appointee Wildstein refuses to answer questions - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

David Wildstein repeatedly asserted his right to remain silent on the advice of his lawyer. He had fought the order to appear before a committee, but a state judge earlier in the day said it was proper that he be subpoenaed to appear.

Still, committee members went on asking him questions for an hour, almost all of them relating to emails and text messages Wildstein previously provided the committee.

The legislative panel is investigating why the lanes were suddenly closed in September, causing traffic gridlock in Fort Lee. Other officials have said Wildstein ordered the closures. Emails and text messages revealed Wednesday that Christie's aides may have been out to punish the town's mayor for not endorsing the governor.

Assembly Transportation Committee chairman John Wisniewski, a Democrat, said the contempt matter could be followed up by a prosecutor. The penalty would be up to 18 months in prison, but people convicted of such offenses generally are not jailed.

His lawyer, Alan Zegas, told lawmakers he was invoking his Fifth Amendment right to remain silent out of fear of being prosecuted.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
There is also the man who died in an ambulance stuck in the gridlock. Who will be held responsable?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
There is also the man who died in an ambulance stuck in the gridlock. Who will be held responsable?

I understood from another article, not posted, that it was an elderly woman, the woman's daughter stated the delay did not cause her mothers death.
I do recall reading last week how he has gone after enemies. Could not find the story.

But it appears charges will/could be laid. Then thousands of emails will be looked at.

Going out on a limb here, but if he had a habit of going after people, he just lost any 2016 chance.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
he'll eat the other candidates. ;)
Oh no he won't! They're hunting him with a vengeance now. He tried that middle of the road approach and that was too centrist for the RWNJ, Tea Partiers.

The dems are gonna push this until one of those staffers he threw under the bus tells all; including conversations held with his chief assistant he just fired with prejudice. She'll cut a deal eventually.

He's got some time to get his house in order but in the final analysis he's become toxic and will get scrutiny up the ying-yang that others will use to skate into the 2016 debates unchallenged while the press is busy busting on Christie and Billary; the "who really cares" broad.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Christie has serious problems with the Republican Party at the moment.
He is not considered right enough for many of them. Actually at present
I think he is the only chance they have because he is most acquainted
with the word sanity.
I don't know what to make of this situation. Its said he is prone to getting
even with opponents but I've not seen any specifics and its not the first
time I heard it. Didn't pay much attention because it doesn't seem to fit
the public profile of him.
He came forward immediately,, he took action immediately and he spoke
into a live mike at a news conference something our Prime MInister should
do. I think this is a wait and see what is true here

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

According to LA Times, the paramedics took 7 minutes to get to her:

Christie bridge scandal: Woman died after traffic delayed medics - latimes.com

"Favia did not explicitly blame the woman's death on the traffic delay -- the paramedics got to her in seven minutes --"

Perhaps this is why there has not been much discussion of that particular matter, at least to this point.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Christie's scandal well is it? He claims at this point he didn't know that it
was deliberate. I don't always believe these guys but I don't know in his
case remember he has not been, at least in public as strident as some in
the GOP and at this point I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Christie must have watched Ford apologizing for the last 6 months and figures it will fool NJ citizens as well.............

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
This reminds me of the ethical climate in the Nixon Whitehouse. Basicly anything goes, in backstabbing and dirty tricks, to undermine and punish perceived 'enemies'.

Despite Christie's denials this ALWAYS has to do with the character of the Office Holder, and the moral standards he implicitly sets by whom he appoints to his staff and why.

The prime directive is always keep the boss out of the line of fire.. but as Christie has admitted, it IS in the final reckoning, his responsibility.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
This reminds me of the ethical climate in the Nixon Whitehouse. Basicly anything goes, in backstabbing and dirty tricks, to undermine perceived 'enemies'.

Despite Christie's denials this ALWAYS has to do with the character of the office holder, and the moral standards he implicitly sets by whom he appoints his staff and why. The prime directive is always keep the boss out of the line of fire.. but he has admitted that he has only himself to blame

So it sounds more like the present Administration.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
As you start watching some of the clips I don't think his public statements
are that good. He is an arrogant man with a problem Yes hecklers and
others are going to invade ones turf happens to all of them but the response
should demonstrate you are of better metal than the idiot heckling you.
It also demonstrates how you handle pressure. It is no fun being heckled
but it goes with the territory. I've been heckled in agricultural politics and I
know but i've always had an appropriate insult that gets a laugh is not in
your face.