Number of train derailments last few months

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Lacking another comparison off the top of my head: I think it's like school shootings. Once it becomes a top story, the media is quick to report on it whenever or wherever it happens. Now, school lock downs become a major story, even if the threat of a gun isn't in the locale, but not necessarily in the school.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Lacking another comparison off the top of my head: I think it's like school shootings. Once it becomes a top story, the media is quick to report on it whenever or wherever it happens. Now, school lock downs become a major story, even if the threat of a gun isn't in the locale, but not necessarily in the school.
Remember the good old days of the FLQ, when schools were constantly being shut down due to bomb scares. Most of those bomb scares were from kids who didn't want to go to school that day.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver

This. Also, I'm not a railway guy myself, but I gather they are all running at capacity and then some right now. Any system run at capacity is going to be more prone to accidents.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This. Also, I'm not a railway guy myself, but I gather they are all running at capacity and then some right now. Any system run at capacity is going to be more prone to accidents.

Yeah, I can hear trains from my house. IF I stop and listen. But I have to actually stop and think about it, because it is so constant.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Yeah, I can hear trains from my house. IF I stop and listen. But I have to actually stop and think about it, because it is so constant.

Yes they are running them longer too. In the case of CN, their practice out here is to keep running the trains longer until they have a derailment and then say "Oh, OK, they gotta be shorter than that." :lol:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Running to capacity on tracks designed for low speeds, lighter loads and forty-foot cars. Not far from here, CN's transcontinental line is cut at Capreol and CP's at Mattawa - forcing traffic through Toronto and points south

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

They are self regulated and run on their own hours of service. I applied for a conductor job a few years ago with both major Canadian Rail Companies. Part of the deal as a conductor is that you are on call 7 days a week 24 hours a day with 2 hours notice to move. I was offered a job with both companies, but declined after it became clear that I would not be able to settle anywhere as I would always face being bumped due to Union seniority. This would have been fine 20 years ago, but I haven't got 20 years to build up seniority.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
As to the length of trains,I live a stones throw {literally] from the CN mainline and trains,here are no longer than they were in the '60s.I'm not saying it's the same nationally ,but the only worry I have is my cats .

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
As to the length of trains,I live a stones throw {literally] from the CN mainline and trains,here are no longer than they were in the '60s.I'm not saying it's the same nationally ,but the only worry I have is my cats .

I'm not sure where you are, but it's an issue in the mountainous terrain of BC. If you have a straight line, train length isn't as much of an issue. If you are wending your way through the rockies or the coastal mountains, the train could be making three corners at the same time. Not to mnetion the landslide issue.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I'm not sure where you are, but it's an issue in the mountainous terrain of BC. If you have a straight line, train length isn't as much of an issue. If you are wending your way through the rockies or the coastal mountains, the train could be making three corners at the same time. Not to mnetion the landslide issue.
Good let's shut down the C P R that was what brought B.C. into confederation . Now what will keep us here ?