Colonizing MARS

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
This will never get off the ground, unless it is a funded for profit endeavor. The current idea to be a one way mission will never happen. Unless it includes trying to return; what is the point?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I think it is a great idea. I think they should plan to send up millions of people. I will even volunteer to help load the ships.

Seriously, they want to do a test run to see if it is viable. A no return possible situation makes it really uninviting but still, people are volunteering to go. Go figure. But I won't miss them. The more the merrier.

I wonder if anyone has thought to ask the Martians what they think about humans polluting their planet.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The British and Chinese are going to be in the forefront of colonising Mars.

It will be British rovers and other technology sent to Mars on Chinese spaceships.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This will never get off the ground, unless it is a funded for profit endeavor. The current idea to be a one way mission will never happen. Unless it includes trying to return; what is the point?

When in history has colonizing somewhere included a plan to return the workers to their previous location?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm

It will be British rovers and other technology sent to Mars on Chinese spaceships.

Wow. Britain exploiting an entire race of people to colonize someplace their invading.
What a great new idea.

When in history has colonizing somewhere included a plan to return the workers to their previous location?

Ya, the Chinese actually know all about that. Choo Choo. ;)

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The problem is extended travel in zero gravity. When they get to Mars and try to stand, the colonists will collapse into a puddle.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Ya, the Chinese actually know all about that. Choo Choo. ;)

One would kind of assume that Canadians know about that. I don't know a lot of Canadians who aren't here due to colonization. And the ones who would be here regardless, tend to be abundantly aware of the fact that colonists don't fracking leave.

The problem is extended travel in zero gravity. When they get to Mars and try to stand, the colonists will collapse into a puddle.

It's not the skeletal muscles that are the true issue.... it's the heart.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Not likely. Crews on the international space station have stayed up there regularly for 6-12 months at a time before coming back to Earth. They were all fine. They have to exercise a hell of a lot to stay in shape up there but they can do it. The gravity on Mars is weaker than it is here so it would be easier for them to walk on Mars than it is for todays astronauts to walk here after a stint on the International Space Station.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Not likely. Crews on the international space station have stayed up there regularly for 6-12 months at a time before coming back to Earth. They were all fine. They have to exercise a hell of a lot to stay in shape up there but they can do it. The gravity on Mars is weaker than it is here so it would be easier for them to walk on Mars than it is for todays astronauts to walk here after a stint on the International Space Station.
I like the puddle theory better. It would make great TV. Kinda like the Martians heads exploding in their glass helmets in Mars Attacks.

Last edited:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island

Darn!
Health Risks Pose Hurdle for Travel to Mars

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Prince of darkness electric toys sent on made in china spaceships. That ot to go a long ways.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

I would also assume that since the gravity is weaker, they can scale down the exercise proportionately. I think the issue may be the space required to exercise. The more space, the bigger ship, the more fuel it will take to move it.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I would also assume that since the gravity is weaker, they can scale down the exercise proportionately. I think the issue may be the space required to exercise. The more space, the bigger ship, the more fuel it will take to move it.
People would have to in stasis in cryogenic pods to make the journey. We don't have the tech yet to pull that one off.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

Exercise doesn't cut it. The longer you're in space, the more likely it is that gravity will stop your heart once you land, even if Mars has lighter gravity. There's a reason that when our guys land after space station missions of mere months, they're treated like babies. They get lifted out of the capsules, and they get carried away to medical care.

You simply can't recreate the strain of gravity for the circulatory system, no matter how much you exercise.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Of course there are health risks. Any spaceflight has that as a potential problem. The health risks they point out in this article aren't really any different from those serving on the ISS for a year at a time. The only major difference is they can escape the ISS if they have to. The Mars folks cant.

Exercise doesn't cut it. The longer you're in space, the more likely it is that gravity will stop your heart once you land, even if Mars has lighter gravity. There's a reason that when our guys land after space station missions of mere months, they're treated like babies. They get lifted out of the capsules, and they get carried away to medical care.

You simply can't recreate the strain of gravity for the circulatory system, no matter how much you exercise.

Plenty of people would still be willing to take the risk regardless. Space will never be risk free.