Canada's shame - The truth is coming out and what we did as a country is disgusting.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
We all know that many bad things happened in the residential schools. Actually it was a form of genocide. But all this happened before most of us were old enough to even know about it much less have any say in it. It is time to move on as this commission is becoming nothing more than a job creation project for a bunch of bureaucrats. The money could be better spent on education in remote villages.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It is time to move on as this
Lets give their relative a whopping big cheque and then put some politicians and clergy in general population in a prison for 10 years that holds mainly Indians, and then turn off the cameras at night.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
Because of the abuses in the residential schools the Native peoples are still suffering, including the younger ones who didn't go to the schools but have been raised by victims. No one seemed to care about those kids except their parents who also were abused before them.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Lets give their relative a whopping big cheque and then put some politicians and clergy in general population in a prison for 10 years that holds mainly Indians, and then turn off the cameras at night.

Leave the cameras running and video link to the rez.
Unfortunately there are very few of the people responsible left alive to punish for their crimes and paying off the relatives does little in the long run. Far better to use the money to improve conditions on remote reserves.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
We all know that many bad things happened in the residential schools. Actually it was a form of genocide. But all this happened before most of us were old enough to even know about it much less have any say in it. It is time to move on as this commission is becoming nothing more than a job creation project for a bunch of bureaucrats. The money could be better spent on education in remote villages.
Yep.

I was in a (U.S.) residential school myself, and I ain't real comforted or convinced by folks beating their breasts decades later. Sounds an awful lot like the folk who "deeply regret" the Trail of Tears.

Not like any of 'em are offering to give the land back, mind.

Like it or not, this stuff happened. No changing that. Time to shift the debate to the future.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I got a kick out of the part of the article where it said (and I'm paraphrasing), "kids still died in fires even though audits said there should be more sprinklers and fire escapes". Obviously, these people have nothing better to do.

Last edited:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Would these children have lived had they stayed on the rez? How many Indian kids died on the reservations during this time? How many are dying now? Lots of children died from disease back in the day.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
Oh Walter [sigh], those children were beaten for the smallest infractions (some were beaten to death), sexually abused , fed crap that the priests and nuns wouldn't have touched, and worst of all kept from the families who loved them. The schools had total control of those children except for 2 months in summer and a couple of weeks at Christmas. They were traumatized and the children of those children, the grand children of those children are still suffering today because of the treatment their parents and grandparents had to endure.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Oh Walter [sigh], those children were beaten for the smallest infractions (some were beaten to death), sexually abused , fed crap that the priests and nuns wouldn't have touched, and worst of all kept from the families who loved them. The schools had total control of those children except for 2 months in summer and a couple of weeks at Christmas. They were traumatized and the children of those children, the grand children of those children are still suffering today because of the treatment their parents and grandparents had to endure.
So lets sell the farm and give it to them .That should make everything right . Right ?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

I don't disagree but where does it end. My great uncle was brutalized by the Japanese in WWII. How many generations of his ancestors get to blame their problems on Japan. That's not a hypothetical question. I would like somebody to give me an answer.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Yep.

I was in a (U.S.) residential school myself, and I ain't real comforted or convinced by folks beating their breasts decades later. Sounds an awful lot like the folk who "deeply regret" the Trail of Tears.

Not like any of 'em are offering to give the land back, mind.

Like it or not, this stuff happened. No changing that. Time to shift the debate to the future.

Every few years someone brings up the residential schools like it was a new topic. As Tecumsehsbones said, "It's time to move on.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
So lets sell the farm and give it to them .That should make everything right . Right ?
Did I say anything resembling that? However a little empathy and understanding would go a long way. I realize that Walter and a very few others have no empathy at all. Neither do sociopaths.

I don't disagree but where does it end. My great uncle was brutalized by the Japanese in WWII. How many generations of his ancestors get to blame their problems on Japan. That's not a hypothetical question. I would like somebody to give me an answer.
How many generations were brutalized by the Japanese?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Did I say anything resembling that? However a little empathy and understanding would go a long way. I realize that Walter and a very few others have no empathy at all. Neither do sociopaths.

How many generations were brutalized by the Japanese?
It's feel gooders like you who got us into these messes in the first place. Let the gubmint sponsor the schools so the poor native kids can get a good edumikation. Give yer head a shake lady.

The Nippon nation has been doing this for millennia as have all countries. Read yer histry.

Last edited:

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
Every few years someone brings up the residential schools like it was a new topic. As Tecumsehsbones said, "It's time to move on.
How do they move on? You realize that the residential school system didn't end until 1967? Maybe you weren't born then but I was 27 years old in 1967. I see the affects on people who were raised by those so traumatized by the residential schools. How long do you suppose that will go on? It may well go on for generation after generation.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Time to shift the debate to the future.
When you bury the past nothing changes except the identity of the victims in the future. You might as well be saying the Gaza and the West Bank are the same thing and nothing should be done about that either.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
How do they move on? You realize that the residential school system didn't end until 1967? Maybe you weren't born then but I was 27 years old in 1967. I see the affects on people who were raised by those so traumatized by the residential schools. How long do you suppose that will go on? It may well go on for generation after generation.

I was born in 1939. It is well past the time we should be still moaning about this disgraceful happening. The residential schools ended in 1967.....getting close to fifty years ago. We can't change the past.....Let it go.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Would these children have lived had they stayed on the rez? How many Indian kids died on the reservations during this time? How many are dying now? Lots of children died from disease back in the day.
The smallpox laced blankets were a 'gift' from the 'Royals of Europe' who were only interested in killing off as many as possible. Thanks for mentioning that part Walter.

Nothing will ever make it right, if a woman can get millions for spilling coffee that is too hot on her lap then each and every member of any First Nations Tribe should have at least $1M in their bank account and be free to travel the world with almost diplomatic immunity, after all that is what their abusers have (Priests and Politicians).

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
We know now that babies in orphanages often died due to a lack of love, so now when babies are in the system they are cuddled and given as much of what passes for love. Abused children wither, and their spirits are killed when they are given a number rather than a name and never feel any kindness and feel nothing but fear for those in charge of their lives. How do they then raise their own children?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
When you bury the past nothing changes except the identity of the victims in the future. You might as well be saying the Gaza and the West Bank are the same thing and nothing should be done about that either.
Well, then, it's a good thing I didn't say nothing about burying the past, enit?

Funny how you read my posts and the only thing you get out of 'em is what's rattling around in your head to begin with.

OK, so, if anybody is "going to die anyway," it's OK to kill them?

Nice logic.