This Seems Pretty Sketchy

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Stolen Enterprise rental Mustang has woman facing $47K bill

CBC – Thu, 2 Jan, 2014

What started as a fun getaway weekend has turned into a financial nightmare for a Dartmouth, N.S., woman who's now facing a huge bill she can't afford to pay.
It's all over a Ford Mustang that was stolen after she returned it to an Enterprise rental lot.
Back in October, Kristen Cockerill treated herself and her partner to a Mustang convertible for a day trip to the South Shore.
“It was nice. It was a Mustang GT convertible. Yeah, I don't know Mustangs the way that other people might, but it was a nice car,” she said.
At the end of the two-day rental, Cockerill returned the car to the Enterprise rental lot on Portland Street in Dartmouth.
She dropped the car off on a Sunday. Most Enterprise locations in the Halifax region are closed on Sundays and people who need to return vehicles that day are instructed to leave the key in a secure drop box.
The next day, Enterprise called Cockerill. The company had the keys, but no Mustang.
“I was pretty panicked, wondering where this car went, and actually went in to the shop that evening after work just to speak to [the clerk] in person and kind of find out what's happening here,” she said.
Police investigated and determined the vehicle was stolen. That appeared to be the end of it until Monday when Cockerill got a bill from Enterprise for $47,000, the replacement value of the Mustang.
Cockerill's insurer said the car wasn't in her control, so it shouldn't be her problem.
Enterprise, however, said that if her insurance doesn't cover it, they'll bill the $47,000 to the credit card she used to rent the Mustang. The charge won't go through, but it could cause her serious financial problems.
CBC News contacted Enterprise, which said it is working on a response to Cockerill's concerns.

Yahoo News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

Working on a response to her concerns? This is how they define a threat to charge her credit card $47,000.00?

This doesn't make any kind of sense.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Half way through the article, I knew where it was going but I was still shocked. If they tell clients to drop cars off on a Sunday and there are no staff to prove that the car was dropped except for the keys they have in hand, the car company must have insurance to cover such losses mustn't they?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Half way through the article, I knew where it was going but I was still shocked. If they tell clients to drop cars off on a Sunday and there are no staff to prove that the car was dropped except for the keys they have in hand, the car company must have insurance to cover such losses mustn't they?

They should. Also stores in the area may have CCTV, you would think Enterprise would, so that may help.
Now I noted the date on the invoice so CCTV would be out.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
They should. Also stores in the area may have CCTV, you would think Enterprise would, so that may help.
Now I noted the date on the invoice so CCTV would be out.
it's just weird really to say she now has to pay for the car when she followed procedure...it makes one question if it's safe to rent and drop

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
it's just weird really to say she now has to pay for the car when she followed procedure...it makes one question if it's safe to rent and drop

They have corporate lawyers- go to court- get a judgment - lawyers are expensive - you cannot afford to pay- collection agency- life gets shxtty as they garnishee income.
And any funds placed into an RRSP/TFSA within 2 years past If I recall correctly is open for then to claim against.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
They have corporate lawyers- go to court- get a judgment - lawyers are expensive - you cannot afford to pay- collection agency- life gets shxtty as they garnishee income.
And any funds placed into an RRSP/TFSA within 2 years past If I recall correctly is open for then to claim against.
8O

soooooo

what about consumer protection,

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
8O

soooooo

what about consumer protection,

I really do not know. If I was her I would cancel the credit card- then I would monitor the Enterprise location on Sundays and video cars being returned as per their policy.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is why i hate the whole rent a car thing if they have no one there and I always ask
I won't rent from them period. I had a problem with a car rental a number of years ago.
it was at night when I arrived in NS and the static I got left me renting a cab as it were
to go to Annapolis Valley. My company I represented rented the car so they wanted
the person on the phone to sign but they were four thousand miles away. If that was
not possible I would use my card and they would do this and that. So I told them to
shove it and took a cab. It ended up be cheaper in the long run there and back and I
didn't need a car during the meetings anyway.
If I was this woman I would fight any attempt to charge me for their problem of not
having someone there to retrieve the car

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I am not sure what the issue is unless she has a credit limit of over $47K. I will expect a big DECLINED will appear on their credit card screen and that will be the end of it. She could also report her credit card stolen or lost.

Enterprise would have to take her to court and I don't think they would have a leg to stand on.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I really do not know. If I was her I would cancel the credit card- then I would monitor the Enterprise location on Sundays and video cars being returned as per their policy.
over 40 grand, it's a travesty of justice...maybe a pro bono lawyer who likes to take on business...really there is no way to prove one has dropped the car other than the keys...I used to drop my car off at my mechanics and shoot the keys through a little hole in the garage door, if my car had been stolen who could have proven it was even there...never really considered that before.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
over 40 grand, it's a travesty of justice...maybe a pro bono lawyer who likes to take on business...really there is no way to prove one has dropped the car other than the keys...I used to drop my car off at my mechanics and shoot the keys through a little hole in the garage door, if my car had been stolen who could have proven it was even there...never really considered that before.

I guess a nice date stamped photo in a enterprise lot would be helpful.

I never return on Sunday. They charge you until Monday anyways. No plus side for a Sunday return aside from convenience.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I guess a nice date stamped photo in a enterprise lot would be helpful.

I never return on Sunday. They charge you until Monday anyways. No plus side for a Sunday return aside from convenience.
Yeah, I never considered it before. Not cool.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Yeah, I never considered it before. Not cool.

And neither would most people- I never would have considered this happening.
I wonder how many were charged for damages to the car that may not have existed when they returned the car to a public place- It does happen.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I find the whole thing kind of a scary notion. I'm wondering how many people have returned rented vehicles after hours and just dropped the keys through the slot? My guess would be many.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
As I say I've always been uneasy about returning a vehicle without anyone being there.
Anyone could steal the car from a random act to a dishonest employee and like someone
mentioned aside from keys who can prove anything.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It would seem to me that if Enterprise put the cost of the car on her credit card without her approval would constitute fraud.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I have rented cars on many occasions and have never had to "drop" the keys anywhere. There's always someone that's been there. I suppose it must depend on where you rent the vehicle (i.e. smaller locations) that don't have someone there. But it sure is an eye-opener - I wouldn't have given it much thought before - now, I will keep it in mind should the situation ever arise. Hokey Smokes!!

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Stolen Enterprise rental Mustang has woman facing $47K bill

CBC – Thu, 2 Jan, 2014

What started as a fun getaway weekend has turned into a financial nightmare for a Dartmouth, N.S., woman who's now facing a huge bill she can't afford to pay.
It's all over a Ford Mustang that was stolen after she returned it to an Enterprise rental lot.
Back in October, Kristen Cockerill treated herself and her partner to a Mustang convertible for a day trip to the South Shore.
“It was nice. It was a Mustang GT convertible. Yeah, I don't know Mustangs the way that other people might, but it was a nice car,” she said.
At the end of the two-day rental, Cockerill returned the car to the Enterprise rental lot on Portland Street in Dartmouth.
She dropped the car off on a Sunday. Most Enterprise locations in the Halifax region are closed on Sundays and people who need to return vehicles that day are instructed to leave the key in a secure drop box.
The next day, Enterprise called Cockerill. The company had the keys, but no Mustang.
“I was pretty panicked, wondering where this car went, and actually went in to the shop that evening after work just to speak to [the clerk] in person and kind of find out what's happening here,” she said.
Police investigated and determined the vehicle was stolen. That appeared to be the end of it until Monday when Cockerill got a bill from Enterprise for $47,000, the replacement value of the Mustang.
Cockerill's insurer said the car wasn't in her control, so it shouldn't be her problem.
Enterprise, however, said that if her insurance doesn't cover it, they'll bill the $47,000 to the credit card she used to rent the Mustang. The charge won't go through, but it could cause her serious financial problems.
CBC News contacted Enterprise, which said it is working on a response to Cockerill's concerns.

Yahoo News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

Working on a response to her concerns? This is how they define a threat to charge her credit card $47,000.00?

This doesn't make any kind of sense.
I think the central factor here is that the keys were dropped in their "Secure Drop" and they have said that they have the keys. It is fact of law-"You can not be held responsible for someone else's illegal act". Unless they can prove that she allowed someone to abscond with the vehicle they have no case.

Keys for new vehicles are not easy come by and can not be copied at the local hardware store. Duplicate keys or replacements have to be ordered through a dealer and supplied by the Manufacturer. Given the time they had the vehicle this would be impossible. The other option is that it could be an inside job.