Alberta Health: Get your flu shot NOW

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Alberta health officials encourage immunization as severe influenza cases increase

EDMONTON – Health officials continue to encourage Albertans to get immunized, after an increase in the number of severe cases of influenza in the province.

As of Dec. 21, 128 cases of influenza have been confirmed in the Edmonton area, up from 65 just a week prior.

“More than 90 per cent of what we’re seeing is the H1N1 strain, which was the pandemic strain, but is now one of our seasonal strains,” said Dr. Gerry Predy, senior medical officer of health with Alberta Health Services (AHS).

And while Predy says the number of cases of the flu isn’t unexpected, the number of severe cases is.

“The number of people coming to emergency with influenza-like symptoms has increased, more than doubled,” he explained Saturday afternoon. “And as well, we’re seeing a lot of people being admitted to intensive care units, a lot of people having to be admitted to hospital because they are experiencing more severe illness.”

Predy says two people have died from the illness in Alberta this season – one from Calgary and one from Edmonton. Additionally, over 100 others have been hospitalized with the flu in Edmonton alone.

“People just need to be aware that influenza is not like many of the other viruses. It’s not a cold and it can cause very severe illness in people of all ages,” Predy explained.

As a result, health officials are encouraging all Albertans to get immunized. AHS has reopened some of its immunization clinics over the holidays, despite initially saying they would be closed.

The clinics are not open seven days a week, but vaccinations are also being offered at some pharmacies.

“Because of our long hours and our availability over the weekends, many pharmacists are specially trained to provide flu shots,” said Anil Goorachurn, a pharmacist at London Drugs.

While Goorachurn says he’s seen an increase in the number of people receiving flu shots this year compared to last, Perdy says there’s still “a long ways to go.”

“Most of the population still is not getting the message that they should be getting a flu shot every year.”

Children under the age of nine are not able to receive the vaccine at pharmacies.

Albertans aged six months and older can drop-in to the following clinics, without appointments, during opening hours and receive the free immunization.

Bonnie Doon Health Centre, 8314 88 Avenue
Friday, January 3, 2014 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Northgate Health Centre, 9499 137 Avenue
Monday, December 30, 2013 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Friday, January 3, 2014 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

West Jasper Place Health Centre, 9720 182 Street
Monday, December 30, 2013 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Regular hours will resume on Jan. 6.

Alberta health officials encourage immunization as severe influenza cases increase - Edmonton | Globalnews.ca

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yup. Many people don't want to immunize their children against common childhood diseases. Sometimes you just can't fix stupid.

Not getting a flu shot is a good first step. Many health care workers are refusing to get shots here. At least the smarter ones.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My SIs is getting over H1N1. She works in health care and had got the shot in Nov.but still got sick.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Got the flu shot - good thing too. Flu is going around in the office. Out of 15, only 2 have not got it. I did but was only sick for 1 day. Others got it 3 weeks ago and they're still recovering - tired, no energy, coughing etc. I was pretty much back to normal after 24 hours.

JMO

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
We always get our flu shots, I don't know if H1N1 was included with the other flus this year. But people all around us have been getting the flu and knock on wood so far we haven't. I am trying to get friends with young grandchildren to get the kids their flu shot, since H1N1 is worse for kids than older people like us.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
My SIs is getting over H1N1. She works in health care and had got the shot in Nov.but still got sick.

This strain of H1N1 is not included in this years flu shot. The majority of people that are sick, are sick from H1N1 and the shot wouldn't have done a damn thing.

...or perhaps I just couldn't give a ****

That is obvious.

Nothing is 100% effective. Condoms aren't foolproof but we still recommend them to help stop the spread of STDs

and in the case of flu shots, the effectiveness is down around 50% as they are just guessing as to the strains that will be out there in any given year.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
The truth about vaccines is that the risk of severe illness from influenza will always outweigh the risk of any efficacy issues from being vaccinated.

Don't be insensitive to the suffering of others and take your shot.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The truth about vaccines is that the risk of severe illness from influenza will always outweigh the risk of any efficacy issues from being vaccinated.

Don't be insensitive to the suffering of others and take your shot.
Take yours and feel good about it.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Got mine at a local pharmacy well before the advent of flu season. Ain't had the flu, but have had several head colds . Probably no connection at all, ..........eh. Put your money in Kleenex stock.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

If you like getting sick for no reason by all means go waste some taxpayers money on a shot. Infact you can take mine as well. I know a bunch of health care workers that will let you take theirs as well since they won't.

50% is better than 0%

50% is a fail on any test I ever took. But it is a win for the shareholders of BIG PHARMA.