Take off that tuque and grab a donair: 'Canadianisms' that confound non-Canadians

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Take off that tuque and grab a donair: 'Canadianisms' that confound non-Canadians

If you've visited friends or relatives south of the border for the holidays, or vice-versa, you may have dealt with a quizzical expression or two after taking off your toque inside and setting aside the two-four case of beer.

That was the inspiration for Jules Sherred, a blogger for GeekMom.com. Citing several instances when Americans were "baffled" over what she calls her "Canadian English," Sherred began a survey of the most Canadian words ever -- the ones that non-Canadians had either never heard of or do not use regularly.

She surveyed 175 people from Canada, the United States and other countries and compared how familiar they were with 55 words and terms that she calls "Canadianisms." The ones that more Canadians were familiar with, and less familiar for all others, could be considered the "most Canadian" entries.

Sherred noted that, unlike the U.S. where dozens of dialects and region-specific terms can ensure moments of confusion between someone from Boston and someone from Memphis, most Canadianisms were at least familiar to people across the country.

A Canadian version of the New York Times dialect quiz, which maps out your use of certain words and phrases according to its frequency in the U.S., then, would probably have far less variation.

She did note, however, that Toronto and some parts of Alberta had below-average usage of some of these terms, perhaps giving credence to the Toronto-versus-the-rest perception many Canadians have of the city.

Among some of the best-known Canadianisms:

1) Tuque: the woolly dome that keeps your head warm and your hair ruined is best known in the U.S. as a knitted cap, beanie or ski cap. Sherred gave a shout-out to a story by CBC News Edmonton from earlier this month that explored the origins and multiple spellings of the tuque...or toque...or is it took? It was also the only term that she rated as 100 per cent Canadian, meaning every Canadian she surveyed were familiar or used the word.

2) Homo milk: 92 per cent of Canadians surveyed knew this term for milk with 3.25 per cent fat, while some Americans surveyed were offended by it. Sherred notes that the word "homo" is often used as a slur for a homosexual person. It's worth noting that calling homo milk "homogenized milk" isn't strictly accurate, since most of the milk you'll find in supermarkets are homogenized, regardless of its fat content.

3) Mickeys and two-fours: 88 per cent of Canadians were familiar with the mickey, otherwise known as a 375 ml bottle of alcohol. Sherred notes that "mickey" is more widely known as a slang term for a date rape drug in the U.S., similar to "roofie."

The two-four, or case of 24 beers, enjoys 90-per-cent Canadian familiarity, while non-Canadians refer to it more generally as a case.

4) Donair: A late-night favourite from the Maritimes, this pita wrap shares its lineage with the gyro or doner kebab. Unlike those two items, which use lamb meat, the donair is known for sliced beef and a distinctive sweet white sauce. Sherred noted that the only Canadians unfamiliar with the donair were from Ontario, and then most of them from Toronto. The Halifax staple has only recently begun to appear in a handful of locations in the GTA.

5) Runners: 85 per cent of Canadians referred to their running shoes as runners, while Americans know them as sneakers, tennis shoes or as "Nikies" regardless of whether the pair in question are made by Nike. One American surveyed told Sherred that the word "runners" was most commonly used to refer to a thin table cloth that runs under a centrepiece and across the sides of the table.

What do you think is the most Canadian word, term or phrase? Which word in Sherred's list elicits the most confused or befuddled faces from your friends? Let us know in the comments section.

source: Take off that tuque and grab a donair: 'Canadianisms' that confound non-Canadians - Your Community

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I knew all five... we used to decide on the weekends when we were underage if we would be buying mickey's or 26 ers.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Zunga. Where I grew up this is what we called a Rope swing hung from a tree, generally but not always over a swimming hole.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
Back in 1969 when we first immigrated to Canada, I mean the first town we came to I wanted to buy the kids some new runners. So we waltz into a store and I look around, finally I said to a near by store employee "where would I find the tennis shoes?", He said "what?". So I explained that they were canvas topped shoes with rubber soles. He said "Oh you want runners", and took me to the tennis shoes. Later we settled in the Yukon and I began to meet people. I spent one full day crying because I couldn't believe that we were all born to speaking English but boy did we speak it differently. The last one that stunned me was when we were sitting in a friends back seat as we were going somewhere. The wind was a bit strong so I said to our friend "Bob, could you please turn that wind wing as it is really windy back here". He said "my whattttttt?", So I said " you know that little window in the corner of the car". He said "My no draft?", So I said "your whattttt?". Then I did a little survey among our friends, they overwhelmingly called it "that little window in the corner".

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
We called those little windows "vent a panes" and no draft,and I for one miss them.
They left when AC took over.

We always sat on the chesterfield as we watched TV. The good chesterfield in the living room as called a couch.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Muskoka chair.

Adirondack chair, really, but this ain't the Adirondacks, eh?

I get a kick out of how people will use other words for things as if it makes them sound classier. lol Must be snowbirds maybe, but seriously people, it's a fu<king sun room, okay? Not a "Florida" room!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
They left when AC took over.

We always sat on the chesterfield as we watched TV. The good chesterfield in the living room as called a couch.
yeah chesterfield...forgot about that...if you look in many of the high end funky furniture places all of those "looks" from yesteryear are surfacing again.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Funny that, I had never really paid attention , but you are right they are gone now that I think about it.
It took me a while to even remember them...it was kind of a mind trip when I finally did.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
well 'pop' is short for soda-pop.

the yanks adopted the first part and we got the leftovers.

likewise 'runners' is short for running shoes. I rarely used the term 'runners'. always called them running shoes or sneakers.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
For those that might care, GM dropped the "vent a pane" in '69 on the two door models,the sedans kept it for, I believe one more year. Other brands,I don't know,I'm a serious GM fan.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
well 'pop' is short for soda-pop.

the yanks adopted the first part and we got the leftovers.

likewise 'runners' is short for running shoes. I rarely used the term 'runners'. always called them running shoes or sneakers.

The first known reference of the term “Pop”, as referring to a beverage, was in 1812 in a letter written by English poet Robert Southey. In this letter, he also explains the term’s origin: “Called on A. Harrison and found he was at Carlisle, but that we were expected to supper; excused ourselves on the necessity of eating at the inn; supped there upon trout and roast foul, drank some most admirable cyder, and a new manufactory of a nectar, between soda-water and ginger-beer, and called pop, because ‘pop goes the cork’ when it is drawn, and pop you would go off too, if you drank too much of it.”

So, far from being a Canadianism, "pop" to mean fizzy drink is a British term adopted by the Canadians.

Carbonated (fizzy) water was, of course, invented by a Briton.

In 1767, Englishman Joseph Priestley first discovered a method of infusing water with carbon dioxide to make carbonated water when he suspended a bowl of distilled water above a beer vat at a local brewery in Leeds, England. His invention of carbonated water (also known as soda water) is the major and defining component of most soft drinks.

Priestley found that water treated in this manner had a pleasant taste, and he offered it to friends as a refreshing drink. In 1772, Priestley published a paper entitled Impregnating Water with Fixed Air in which he describes dripping oil of vitriol (or sulphuric acid as it is now called) onto chalk to produce carbon dioxide gas, and encouraging the gas to dissolve into an agitated bowl of water.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I find there are few words that are used by all of Canada. It's amazing how regionalisms creep in.

For example, if I combine rice crispies and marshmallows, press it into a pan, cut that into square shapes, put those on a plate, and serve it at a party.... what am I serving?

(and yes, this was the source of a recent two day long debate on facebook between my brother's Albertan friends, and his fiancée's 306'er friends).