Northern Gateway recommended for approval

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The battle is about to begin and the Harper Cons (you know Harper with that nasty little smile)
pretending to listen and determined to shaft you) Harper Cons) they knew what the outcome
would be when the process started. All the vested interests had the influence.
I am opposed more for two reasons the company that wants to build it has a lousy track record.
when it comes to safety issues and they should not be part of the operation.
Secondly the time has come to stop selling resources to Asia it is not in our interest to supply
people who want to compete with you.
Think of all the groups that are going to come out and fight this thing. I am a long way from
being a tree hugger or a rabid environmentalist but I will participate in some way to see this
doesn't happen.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The battle is about to begin and the Harper Cons (you know Harper with that nasty little smile)
pretending to listen and determined to shaft you) Harper Cons) they knew what the outcome
I am opposed more for two reasons the company that wants to build it has a lousy track record.
Secondly the time has come to stop selling resources to Asia it is not in our interest to supply
Think of all the groups that are going to come out and fight this thing. I am a long way from
being a tree hugger or a rabid environmentalist but I will participate in some way to see this
doesn't happen.

BC will receive tax points or some such thing from the Feds and enhanced protection.
The liability levels though should be increased. Same as the US has.
Tax revenues are estimated at 1 Trillion for the pipelines over 30 years.

Or would you rather have it shipped by rail. Those are the choices and I would pick pipeline. Rigidly enforced regs. would be needed as well.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
doesn't happen.
What do you think of the Kinder Morgan expansion?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
BC gets jobs and plenty of taxes and port fees.

Every Canadian will receive direct or indirect benefits from this pipeline. A number of specialty companies dealing with special pipeline requirements have been on the rise in Edmonton and AB. And that is just on small area.
Service support for the oil sand expansion will be immense.

2 Issues I have a significant problem with, the liability should be unlimited - 950 mil is BS.
Next issue would be monitoring the lines and hefty penalties for screw ups. Including lifting the certifications of a person who certifies crap work.
Next move the port to Rupert.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hi tech pipe monitoring systems are being used. Thee will be millions of tonnes of steel recycled and made into pipe in Regina.

SK oil will be exported too.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Hi tech pipe monitoring systems are being used. Thee will be millions of tonnes of steel recycled and made into pipe in Regina.

SK oil will be exported too.
East and West. Keystone if it comes south as well
But major issues are still present

Liability should be unlimited - 950 mil is BS. A sea spill will cost billions.

Next issue would be monitoring the lines and hefty penalties for screw ups.

Including lifting the certifications of a persons/ompanies who certifies crap work.

Next move the port to Rupert.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Is it safer to run a pipeline to Rupert? What is the distance?

Rupert will have too much other shipping traffic. The dead coast from aluminum smelting for decades is the best spot for tankers.Bitumen isn't like crude. it has already had the volatiles stripped with water and it is realtivly clean. It won't choke gills or stick to sea birds feathers and seal fur.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
1/2 billion spent on the process.
That's 1/2 billion less than the security cost in Toronto not long ago. Who says inflation is dead.
That's a lot of mountain ranges to cross. Why not exit Alberta onto Montana and follow the Pacific Northwest Scablands until you hit the ocean? A burst pipe in that area isn't as bad as in a mountain valley.

What would a bitumen spill look like? A highway?
Depends if it is your drinking water it is sitting in. Send it as a raw product and granulate it so it can be moved by conveyer belts, they can have the sand for some uses at the final refinery it is delivered to. Since it is fractured sand it is sharp edged thus it has uses such as grinding wheels.