Ray Price, country singer, dies at 87

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Ray Price, country singer, dies at 87
Ray Price, country singer, dies at 87 - Arts & Entertainment - CBC News

Ray Price, one of country music's most popular and influential singers and bandleaders who had more than 100 hits and was one of the last living connections to Hank Williams, died Monday. He was 87.

Price died Monday afternoon at his ranch outside Mount Pleasant, Texas, said Billy Mack Jr., who was acting as a family spokesman. Billie Perryman, the wife of family friend and spokesman Tom Perryman, a DJ with KKUS-FM in Tyler, also confirmed his death.

Price was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2011 and it had recently spread to his liver, intestines and lungs, according East Texas Medical Center in Tyler. He stopped aggressive treatments and left the hospital last Thursday to receive hospice care at home.

He reached the Billboard Hot 100 eight times from 1958-73 and had seven No. 1 hits and more than 100 titles on the Billboard country chart from 1952 to 1989. For the Good Times was his biggest crossover hit, reaching No. 11 on the Billboard pop music singles chart. His other country hits included Crazy Arms, Release Me, The Same Old Me, Heartaches by the Number, City Lights and Too Young to Die.

RAY PRICE - For The Good Times - YouTube

Ray Price - Don't You Ever Get Tired of Hurting Me.wmv - YouTube

Ray Price - "Release Me" - YouTube

RAY PRICE - CRAZY ARMS-HEARTACHE BY THE NUMBERS - YouTube

Ray Price Heartaches by the Number - YouTube

Ray Price - Much Too Young to Die - YouTube

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
he had a very clear and polished voice, a real singers singer i would think.

i'm not much for country music, don't like todays music, and much of the old stuff
sounds hoaky and scratchy to me, but not his 'stuff'.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Over the course of time I think I played every format radio had to offer.
Truth be known I preferred country old and new. The music of today
draws new younger listeners in and sooner or later they become aware
of what went before. We have several grandkids who have gravitated
to country music in the past few years. Everyone of them has started
listening to the older singers and gaining an appreciation for what went
down way back. Its the reason they have musically today.
Would I listen to Hank Senior all day, nope, but I appreciate what he did.

Ray Price was real both as an entertainer and a person made a
big difference in the industry

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Everyone of them has started
listening to the older singers and gaining an appreciation for what went
down way back. Its the reason they have musically today.
Would I listen to Hank Senior all day, nope, but I appreciate what he did.

True. I started reading about the people I liked when I was in high school and started working my way back in various genres. I'm 25, but over the last five years or so I havent really been paying attention to what is going on in music. Too busy exploring the past. The music that does occasionally grab my attention today tends to sound a lot older. Most of the concerts Ive gone to see have been of people well over 50. I wet to see George Jones about 4 years ago and am glad I did even if I was one of the youngest people in the audience. Last year I went to see Leonard Cohen and would do it again if given the chance. When it comes to Hank Senior - I can and have listened to him all day before. Love it. Too bad he went at 29.

Ray Price - I actually haven't listened to him much since I was a kid at my grandparents place. These songs are bringing up a lot of memories. He had a nice voice. Got to live a lot longer than many of his contemporaries.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Back in the 70's we use to play a lot of Ray price popularized tunes. I think I've played Heartaches By The Number, Crazy Arms and San Antonio Rose a few thousand times. While many have recorded San Antonio Rose I always liked his version. You could tell that Price liked to keep things simple, but he always had a rock solid rhythm section. Like all the greats he paid attention to the details.