Groom killed hours after wedding while new wife watched

spaminator
Groom killed hours after wedding while new wife watched
QMI Agency
First posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 10:33 AM EST | Updated: Monday, December 16, 2013 04:15 PM EST
An Indiana couple was leaving their wedding reception and stopped to help another driver stuck in a ditch when the groom and the other driver were struck by a car and killed.
The bride was still in her wedding dress.
William "Riley" Knight, 49, and his new wife Nikki stopped to help the woman around 11:45 p.m. on Saturday near Crown Point, Ind., the Chicago Sun-Times reported.
Knight and Linda Darlington, 42, were standing by the road when they were struck first by one eastbound car, and then by two more cars that followed, the paper reported. Nikki was sitting in the Knights' truck.
"I went from a being a newlywed to a widow in less than 48 hours the highest high to the lowest low," Nikki told the Sun-Times. "It's a blur."
Knight, a former U.S. Ranger, also left behind two daughters, a stepson and stepdaughter.
William and Nikki Knight. (Handout/WGM)

Groom killed hours after wedding while new wife watched | World | News | Toronto Sun

no good deed goes unpunished.

karrie
+3
#2  Top Rated Post
What a sad story. I hope she finds solace in his strength of character.

SLM
+1
My heart goes out to her, what a tragic turn of events.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

My heart goes out to her, what a tragic turn of events.

It just doesn't get any sadder than that. I don't even see a "silver lining"!

MHz
The life insurance policy was effective. I hope the driver wasn't distracted by a woman standing on the side of the road wearing a wedding dress.

damngrumpy
+1
What a sad bloody state of affairs, Christmas will never be the same.
Society feels helpless in these cases cause there is no way to fix death

SLM
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by MHzView Post

The life insurance policy was effective. I hope the driver wasn't distracted by a woman standing on the side of the road wearing a wedding dress.

That's cold.

Christianna

Quote:

Nikki was sitting in the Knights' truck.

Nikki was the bride.

MHz
My comment was about some sort of silver lining, it isn't like I said it was planned, that would be cold.

JLM

That's cold.

Have you ever noticed that some people can be real A$$holes?

SLM
+2

My comment was about some sort of silver lining, it isn't like I said it was planned, that would be cold.

The way that post read, it completely came across that was what you were implying.

Retired_Can_Soldier
+1
Just when you think life has **** in your cornflakes, something like this yields a bit of perspective.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Just when you think life has **** in your cornflakes, something like this yields a bit of perspective.

Yes it's the kind of story that makes us want to go home, hug our loved ones and realize just how fortunate we really are. My heart still just breaks for this poor woman. I can't imagine her grief.

karrie
+1

The way that post read, it completely came across that was what you were implying.

100% how it sounded... She got the insurance in place and then stood at the roadside distracting traffic so her hubby would get hit.

Yes it's the kind of story that makes us want to go home, hug our loved ones and realize just how fortunate we really are. My heart still just breaks for this poor woman. I can't imagine her grief.

Being a young widow, no matter what day it happens, is so incredibly life altering. It's like the opposite of a scarlet letter, it's a lifetime of pity and people treating you like a china doll. I've seen a friend go through it. It's hell.

shadowshiv
I'm curious as to why they were hit in the first place. If they were in the ditch, how the hell could they be hit by three different vehicles? Were they too busy rubbernecking and didn't keep their eyes on the road or was there some other factor in play? Also, the article is kind of short. It doesn't say if the other cars even stopped or kept on going.

Regardless of reason, it is a very sad situation, and with it being less than a week to Christmas, it makes it even sadder.

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

I'm curious as to why they were hit in the first place. If they were in the ditch, how the hell could they be hit by three different vehicles? Were they too busy rubbernecking and didn't keep their eyes on the road or was there some other factor in play? Also, the article is kind of short. It doesn't say if the other cars even stopped or kept on going.

Regardless of reason, it is a very sad situation, and with it being less than a week to Christmas, it makes it even sadder.

there is another link within the post in case you are interested.

shadowshiv
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

there is another link within the post in case you are interested.

Thanks spammy, but I already clicked on the link. It is also light on additional information.

MHz

Considering how snide your comment is perhaps it is your malfunctioning thinking that made the comment appear callus, trust me if your version was what I was thinking you would not have to twist it to fit your version, here are the last words before my post. ' I don't even see a "silver lining"!"
I know Kerrie dislikes me intensely and that bothers me about as bad as a mosquito bite I got last summer. If you don't think Lawyers are lining up to take her case then you are living in a fantasy world.

Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

100% how it sounded... She got the insurance in place and then stood at the roadside distracting traffic so her hubby would get hit.

That proves what your reading comprehension is like, basically nil so you twist things to suit what your would like it to be. It is the husband who takes out a policy to take care of their family just in case events like this happen. The only jaded personalities in this thread is you two unless you also thing my comment in the dying kids thread was also something other than what it said. I actually hope from now on that every post I make does the same to your brain as that is how a truly insane woman thinks. You are the one with a Jeckle and Hyde personality, not me.

SLM

Considering how snide your comment is perhaps it is your malfunctioning thinking that made the comment appear callus, trust me if your version was what I was thinking you would not have to twist it to fit your version, here are the last words before my post. ' I don't even see a "silver lining"!"

Those words were not in your original post though. The original post comes across as a cynical snide comment, seeming to imply that the insurance was in place and her being by the side of the road in her wedding dress was just the distraction needed for a payday. That's how it came across. When I replied initially it was not off the cuff, I actually read through the thread a few times and read your initial post along with them to see if it could be interpreted differently, that didn't happen.

So if that's not what the meaning was, which I completely accept if you say it is not, then I would suggest you need to take more care in explaining yourself better.

My second reply was not a "dig" but just telling you how the first post came across, and not just to me.

Quote:

I know Kerrie dislikes me intensely and that bothers me about as bad as a mosquito bite I got last summer. If you don't think Lawyers are lining up to take her case then you are living in a fantasy world.

That proves what your reading comprehension is like, basically nil so you twist things to suit what your would like it to be. It is the husband who takes out a policy to take care of their family just in case events like this happen. The only jaded personalities in this thread is you two unless you also thing my comment in the dying kids thread was also something other than what it said. I actually hope from now on that every post I make does the same to your brain as that is how a truly insane woman thinks. You are the one with a Jeckle and Hyde personality, not me.

Not everything is part of some Machiavellian plot against you, sometimes it's just the words themselves that you choose to use You seem to do alright explaining yourself after the fact, I just really wish sometimes you take more time to do so initially.

MHz

Those words were not in your original post though. The original post comes across as a cynical snide comment, seeming to imply that the insurance was in place and her being by the side of the road in her wedding dress was just the distraction needed for a payday. That's how it came across. When I replied initially it was not off the cuff, I actually read through the thread a few times and read your initial post along with them to see if it could be interpreted differently, that didn't happen.

So you relieve yourself from your imagination and put the blame on me when my reply was to the last words in the previous post. Your thinking was what determined what you took the post to mean, don't bother putting the blame on me for you errors in comprehension.

So if that's not what the meaning was, which I completely accept if you say it is not, then I would suggest you need to take more care in explaining yourself better.

Perhaps you need to stop jumping to conclusions.

My second reply was not a "dig" but just telling you how the first post came across, and not just to me.

Nobody posted anything before you did so that is a false statement, what comes after your post has no bearing on what you had already assumed, perhaps you should ask for clarity before making conclusions that are in error.

Not everything is part of some Machiavellian plot against you, sometimes it's just the words themselves that you choose to use You seem to do alright explaining yourself after the fact, I just really wish sometimes you take more time to do so initially.

Who said it was. I didn't make any errors, you and Karrie did so perhaps it is you two that need to do the 'improvements'. Karrie hasn't liked me for years, that is not an imagination type of thing.

JLM

I'm a little baffled. I don't see anything in the news article about a life insurance policy!

MHz

So you relieve yourself from your imagination and put the blame on me when my reply was to the last words in the previous post. Your thinking was what determined what you took the post to mean, don't bother putting the blame on me for you errors in comprehension.

Perhaps you need to stop jumping to conclusions.

Nobody posted anything before you did so that is a false statement, what comes after your post has no bearing on what you had already assumed, perhaps you should ask for clarity before making conclusions that are in error.

Who said it was. I didn't make any errors, you and Karrie did so perhaps it is you two that need to do the 'improvements'. Karrie hasn't liked me for years, that is not an imagination type of thing.

Edit to add:
The poster that made the silver lining comment would most likely have been the one that took my comment in the correct context while you two just took it as you first saw it. If you both saw it the same way perhaps it is that you two think alike. One of you has a friend that never recovered and you take it that you would go through the same hell rather that grieve as you should but then you also have to end the grief unless you like grief that much. It isn't like the one being grieved for not be joined by the other anyway. In taking your advice for when talking to you there is something called a period of grief where it is a deep emotional thing but emotions are mean to be spontaneous so if the same level of grief is there constantly then that vital part of being alive is broken and it needs fixing. The deep emotional grief can be felt anytime you choose to go back and think about anything that happened in that that first 30 days (or whatever is appropriate for each person) but to be part of a dynamic society you have to be reacting to events that are currently unfolding around you. How was that put by the woman who made the white Santa comment. 'Just because it makes you uncomfortable doesn't mean it should be changed' (or something to that effect)
lol Now I feel like I have to make a disclaimer for ever post I make just so you can't take it out of the intended context.

Since we seem to be having some sort of unintended heart to heart your comment about the one that never recovered, is that something you promote as being the way it would go for anybody who experiences something that traumatic? (based on your words about the Bride's state of mind without that information being in the article and I'm quite sure an woman married to the same man for 50 years would experience the same level of shock and horror)

If people like ES can be determined to be intentional trolls then doing what you two are doing (understanding somebodies 'hidden intentions' without any questions actually being asked, how witchy of you or is that how an actual busy-body operates? Did you 'try to help the woman you referenced? What form did that take? and the list goes on if I want to understand the comment you made. By what I've seen in this thread you might do do damage than good. (something I can relate to in real life but that's another thread)
Last edited by MHz; Dec 18th, 2013 at 09:08 AM..

JLM
Where did the "life insurance policy" statement come from?

MHz
I wasn't commenting on the OP, I was commenting on the last words in this post. Just flows like this post does, it is a reply to your post rather than the OP. Losing your husband and your house is worse.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

It just doesn't get any sadder than that. I don't even see a "silver lining"!

JLM
Where did the "life insurance policy" statement come from?

MHz
You deaf? Be funny if the ignore button was the cause. How insecure does a person have to be to hace some words on a BBS throw your day off?

Walter

The bride was sitting in the truck as the article said.

MHz
The issue seems to be the insurance policy part so far or that it was an elaborate part of some get rich plot. So it was a man and a woman on the road, without the wedding dress, that still could have been a distraction factor for the first contact, the other two could have been simply unavoidable as would be the case on any high speed road.

JLM

You deaf? Be funny if the ignore button was the cause. How insecure does a person have to be to hace some words on a BBS throw your day off?

YOU made a statement about the life insurance policy and I'm just trying to figure out how you knew about a life insurance policy! Is that a hard concept to comprehend?

MHz
If there is a silver lining to the story that would be the one and only one I can think of. If you guys want to take it further than that go for it, I've got all day to find out what sort of creeps are on here cause that is the way I see most of the clicky oones on here that is more like a pack than a gathering of like minded people. (even to the point of the green and red buttons. Anonymous support or condemnation rather than having to say it on the board (and then explain it), you might as well be Anonymous Cowards and take a number.

Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

YOU made a statement about the life insurance policy and I'm just trying to figure out how you knew about a life insurance policy! Is that a hard concept to comprehend?

Do you think I take caps as shouting and thusly feel intimidated by it, you would be wrong in every respect if you did. I actually see it as being quite childish really.
Be a bigger shame if there wasn't one. Do you think the drivers of those vehicles won't be having to have their respective insurance companies paying out big time to both families? The insurance companies would be arguing about which hit actually killed them as you don't get charged when it is a body you cannot avoid hitting compared to your vehicle being the hit that ended the persons life.

I'm sure that a thread being made here is being a real comfort to the ones affected by the real event.