Groom killed hours after wedding while new wife watched

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Groom killed hours after wedding while new wife watched
QMI Agency
First posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 10:33 AM EST | Updated: Monday, December 16, 2013 04:15 PM EST
An Indiana couple was leaving their wedding reception and stopped to help another driver stuck in a ditch when the groom and the other driver were struck by a car and killed.
The bride was still in her wedding dress.
William "Riley" Knight, 49, and his new wife Nikki stopped to help the woman around 11:45 p.m. on Saturday near Crown Point, Ind., the Chicago Sun-Times reported.
Knight and Linda Darlington, 42, were standing by the road when they were struck first by one eastbound car, and then by two more cars that followed, the paper reported. Nikki was sitting in the Knights' truck.
"I went from a being a newlywed to a widow in less than 48 hours — the highest high to the lowest low," Nikki told the Sun-Times. "It's a blur."
Knight, a former U.S. Ranger, also left behind two daughters, a stepson and stepdaughter.
William and Nikki Knight. (Handout/WGM)

Groom killed hours after wedding while new wife watched | World | News | Toronto Sun

no good deed goes unpunished. :(

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The life insurance policy was effective. I hope the driver wasn't distracted by a woman standing on the side of the road wearing a wedding dress.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
What a sad bloody state of affairs, Christmas will never be the same.
Society feels helpless in these cases cause there is no way to fix death

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
My comment was about some sort of silver lining, it isn't like I said it was planned, that would be cold.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Just when you think life has **** in your cornflakes, something like this yields a bit of perspective.

Yes it's the kind of story that makes us want to go home, hug our loved ones and realize just how fortunate we really are. My heart still just breaks for this poor woman. I can't imagine her grief.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The way that post read, it completely came across that was what you were implying.

100% how it sounded... She got the insurance in place and then stood at the roadside distracting traffic so her hubby would get hit.

Yes it's the kind of story that makes us want to go home, hug our loved ones and realize just how fortunate we really are. My heart still just breaks for this poor woman. I can't imagine her grief.

Being a young widow, no matter what day it happens, is so incredibly life altering. It's like the opposite of a scarlet letter, it's a lifetime of pity and people treating you like a china doll. I've seen a friend go through it. It's hell.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I'm curious as to why they were hit in the first place. If they were in the ditch, how the hell could they be hit by three different vehicles? Were they too busy rubbernecking and didn't keep their eyes on the road or was there some other factor in play? Also, the article is kind of short. It doesn't say if the other cars even stopped or kept on going.

Regardless of reason, it is a very sad situation, and with it being less than a week to Christmas, it makes it even sadder.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I'm curious as to why they were hit in the first place. If they were in the ditch, how the hell could they be hit by three different vehicles? Were they too busy rubbernecking and didn't keep their eyes on the road or was there some other factor in play? Also, the article is kind of short. It doesn't say if the other cars even stopped or kept on going.

Regardless of reason, it is a very sad situation, and with it being less than a week to Christmas, it makes it even sadder.
there is another link within the post in case you are interested. :)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The way that post read, it completely came across that was what you were implying.
Considering how snide your comment is perhaps it is your malfunctioning thinking that made the comment appear callus, trust me if your version was what I was thinking you would not have to twist it to fit your version, here are the last words before my post. ' I don't even see a "silver lining"!"
I know Kerrie dislikes me intensely and that bothers me about as bad as a mosquito bite I got last summer. If you don't think Lawyers are lining up to take her case then you are living in a fantasy world.

100% how it sounded... She got the insurance in place and then stood at the roadside distracting traffic so her hubby would get hit.
That proves what your reading comprehension is like, basically nil so you twist things to suit what your would like it to be. It is the husband who takes out a policy to take care of their family just in case events like this happen. The only jaded personalities in this thread is you two unless you also thing my comment in the dying kids thread was also something other than what it said. I actually hope from now on that every post I make does the same to your brain as that is how a truly insane woman thinks. You are the one with a Jeckle and Hyde personality, not me.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Considering how snide your comment is perhaps it is your malfunctioning thinking that made the comment appear callus, trust me if your version was what I was thinking you would not have to twist it to fit your version, here are the last words before my post. ' I don't even see a "silver lining"!"

Those words were not in your original post though. The original post comes across as a cynical snide comment, seeming to imply that the insurance was in place and her being by the side of the road in her wedding dress was just the distraction needed for a payday. That's how it came across. When I replied initially it was not off the cuff, I actually read through the thread a few times and read your initial post along with them to see if it could be interpreted differently, that didn't happen.

So if that's not what the meaning was, which I completely accept if you say it is not, then I would suggest you need to take more care in explaining yourself better.

My second reply was not a "dig" but just telling you how the first post came across, and not just to me.

I know Kerrie dislikes me intensely and that bothers me about as bad as a mosquito bite I got last summer. If you don't think Lawyers are lining up to take her case then you are living in a fantasy world.

That proves what your reading comprehension is like, basically nil so you twist things to suit what your would like it to be. It is the husband who takes out a policy to take care of their family just in case events like this happen. The only jaded personalities in this thread is you two unless you also thing my comment in the dying kids thread was also something other than what it said. I actually hope from now on that every post I make does the same to your brain as that is how a truly insane woman thinks. You are the one with a Jeckle and Hyde personality, not me.

Not everything is part of some Machiavellian plot against you, sometimes it's just the words themselves that you choose to use You seem to do alright explaining yourself after the fact, I just really wish sometimes you take more time to do so initially.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Those words were not in your original post though. The original post comes across as a cynical snide comment, seeming to imply that the insurance was in place and her being by the side of the road in her wedding dress was just the distraction needed for a payday. That's how it came across. When I replied initially it was not off the cuff, I actually read through the thread a few times and read your initial post along with them to see if it could be interpreted differently, that didn't happen.
So you relieve yourself from your imagination and put the blame on me when my reply was to the last words in the previous post. Your thinking was what determined what you took the post to mean, don't bother putting the blame on me for you errors in comprehension.

So if that's not what the meaning was, which I completely accept if you say it is not, then I would suggest you need to take more care in explaining yourself better.
Perhaps you need to stop jumping to conclusions.

My second reply was not a "dig" but just telling you how the first post came across, and not just to me.
Nobody posted anything before you did so that is a false statement, what comes after your post has no bearing on what you had already assumed, perhaps you should ask for clarity before making conclusions that are in error.

Not everything is part of some Machiavellian plot against you, sometimes it's just the words themselves that you choose to use You seem to do alright explaining yourself after the fact, I just really wish sometimes you take more time to do so initially.
Who said it was. I didn't make any errors, you and Karrie did so perhaps it is you two that need to do the 'improvements'. Karrie hasn't liked me for years, that is not an imagination type of thing.