Two dead in Utah after boulders crush home

spaminator
Two dead in Utah after boulders crush home
Laura Zuckerman, Reuters
First posted: Saturday, December 14, 2013 01:04 PM EST | Updated: Saturday, December 14, 2013 01:17 PM EST
Two people were killed and the home they occupied was destroyed after building-sized boulders crashed down a cliff and crushed the two-storey structure outside Zion National Park in southern Utah, officials said on Friday.
The rock slide on Thursday night likely killed the couple instantly, said Dawn Wallace, treasurer of Springdale, Utah, whose police department was leading the response to the disaster and who viewed the wreckage firsthand on Friday.
She said the giant boulders had crushed the home and a detached garage in the community of Rockville.
"You could see a car sticking out from the under the rocks," she said. "It was unbelievable."
Utah Highway Patrol Sergeant Mary Kay Lucas confirmed on Friday that two people had been crushed to death inside their home "when the rocks came down."
Lance Weaver, a geologist with the Utah Geological Survey, said rockslides that damage homes or injure people happen from one to three times a year in Utah, but fatalities are rare.
He said heavy snows and freezing temperatures that hit southern Utah last weekend followed by a rapid thaw likely caused the slide in a high-desert region of cliffs and sedimentary rock formations.
A highly erodible sandstone base supports giant boulders that tower above Rockville and other communities. Frost heave coupled with precipitation turns the sandstone to mud, triggering the mass movement, Weaver said.
"Our concern right now is whether we are going to see other rock falls across southern Utah because of the same conditions that brought about this one," he said.
He said rockslides affecting people or property are likely to climb in the region as more houses crowd into remote areas where such natural events occur.
Two dead in Utah after boulders crush home | World | News | Toronto Sun

Sal
what no pictures of dead bodies or anything... shocking

if one were a neighbour, one might be feeling incredibly grateful and a tad nervous

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

what no pictures of dead bodies or anything... shocking

if one were a neighbour, one might be feeling incredibly grateful and a tad nervous

Sometimes you gotta wonder 'what did these people do to piss off a higher power?'. Boulders come crashing down a mountainside and kill them and only them?

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Sometimes you gotta wonder 'what did these people do to piss off a higher power?'. Boulders come crashing down a mountainside and kill them and only them?

Luck of the draw, although the term " luck" is being used very, very loosely.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Luck of the draw, although the term " luck" is being used very, very loosely.

Once could believe that.

Sal

and that is really the crux of this type of accident, leaves one with a wow feeling

was their time is the way I look at it, in my personal philosophy I do not believe in accidents nor in godly intervention for the good or the bad

but yeah I do see your point... it reminds me too of the opposite type of occurrence where you see for instance a race car driver smash into the wall, careen back out, get hit multiple times, have his car burst into flames and voila, he emerges with a broken arm...not really possible, yet it has happened

Blackleaf
Thankfully, I don't have to worry about boulders crushing my home here in Great Lever, Greater Manchester, Great Britain.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Thankfully, I don't have to worry about boulders crushing my home here in Great Lever, Greater Manchester, Great Britain.

it's always good to have things to be thankful for

Liberalman
It's too bad they weren't LDS

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

no judgement involved here eh?

lol anyone else ya don't like

jw's catholics, buddists?

B00Mer
+1
Call me Mr. Flintstone, I can make your bedrock

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
#12  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Nope, you just have to worry about being eviscerated by a neighbor with bad teeth.

I like my odds better.

WLDB

Why not? It happens.

shadowshiv

It's sort of like the sinkholes they've been getting in Florida in the past little while. You just never know how many people will end up getting affected, and how many homes will be damaged/destroyed.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

it's always good to have things to be thankful for

Yeah. I suppose we should all be thankful for that.

The Old Medic
My wife grew up at the foot of the Wasatch Mountains (a branch of the Rocky Mountains). Boulders regularly fall from the heights, but rarely hit homes. That is one of the things you have to accept if you choose to live right at the base of those mountains.

spaminator
Quote: Originally Posted by The Old MedicView Post

My wife grew up at the foot of the Wasatch Mountains (a branch of the Rocky Mountains). Boulders regularly fall from the heights, but rarely hit homes. That is one of the things you have to accept if you choose to live right at the base of those mountains.

i'm glad your wife didn't get bouldered.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

It's sort of like the sinkholes they've been getting in Florida in the past little while. You just never know how many people will end up getting affected, and how many homes will be damaged/destroyed.

I think no matter where you live, there is some kind naturally occurring calamity that is prone to strike the area. I can remember being on a bus in Ottawa years ago, in January (so we're talking minus 25-30 maybe with the wind chill) and watching a parade of people get on the bus, so wrapped up in protective clothing you almost couldn't tell they were human beings, lol. And I can remember thinking that someone who lives in a less harsh climate would probably look at us and think "Why in the hell would anyone ever choose to live there?"

Floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, extreme temperatures (hot and cold)....the planet may just be out to kill us.

Christianna
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

They were probably FLDS, However there is in my estimation no where as stunning as Zion National Park. And in the 4 corners area there are many FLDS towns.