If you shop at WalMart you are already beyond being humiliated and embarrassed

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Wal-Mart bans man for life for matching ads

Joe Cantrell made a hobby out of browsing local stores and going to Wal-Mart to get the cheapest prices for its products through ad matching, according to television station WXYZ. However, last week, Cantrell took a trip to Wal-Mart's San Tan Valley, Ariz., location, where an employee stopped him and told him he wasn’t allowed to ad match. Cantrell got upset and complained to management. Upon his return trip four days later, he was placed in handcuffs by local law enforcement.

"When I left, he turned around and called the Pinal County Sheriff's Office and said he felt intimidated and threatened," Cantrell told WXYZ. "I was upset, but never once did I say anything to the gentleman."

The former wrestler says he was "handcuffed, humiliated and embarrassed in front of everybody at Wal-Mart," but the deputies quickly released him.

The customer was released by the cops, who realized Cantrell was not a threat. Nevertheless, he says he's facing charges of threatening, intimidation and disorderly conduct.

On top of all that, he will no longer be able to pursue his hobby -- Cantrell has been slapped with a lifetime ban from Wal-Mart.

The ban is baffling when you consider what the retailer says about ad matching on its official website: "We're committed to providing low prices every day. On everything. So if you find a lower advertised price on an identical product, tell us and we’ll match it. Right at the register."

Wal-Mart sent ABC15 the following statement Tuesday:

"We make every effort to make sure our customers have a good experience in our stores. As in previous situations, we attempted to work with this customer. However, in this situation, the associate felt unsafe and so we contacted local law enforcement. We are continuing to cooperate with law enforcement on their investigation."

http://money.msn.com/saving-money-tips/post--wal-mart-bans-man-for-life-for-matching-ads

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Why doesn't the article say why the associate felt unsafe? Very poor journalism.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Hey my wardrobe is by WalMart.. T-Shirt and Jeans..

Whenever I get to lazy to do laundry, I just run to a WalMart and buy 5 T-Shirts for $4 bucks each, package of undies, socks and a new pair of jeans.. Less than $50

...and you can park a Tractor Trailer there for the night.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
'anti-wal-mart' sentiment phrased the way tay chose to in this thread title, is the new classism. A socially acceptable way to look down your nose at people who have to bargain shop, or who work too many hours in a day, or the wrong sort of shifts, to be able to hit conventional separate stores for all their shopping.

'Stupid poor folk'

'So beneath me'

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
'anti-wal-mart' sentiment phrased the way tay chose to in this thread title, is the new classism. A socially acceptable way to look down your nose at people who have to bargain shop, or who work too many hours in a day, or the wrong sort of shifts, to be able to hit conventional separate stores for all their shopping.

'Stupid poor folk'

'So beneath me'

I get what you mean, but every time I forget about my previous experiences and wander into a Walmart, I find it hard not to have these feelings.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I get what you mean, but every time I forget about my previous experiences and wander into a Walmart, I find it hard not to have these feelings.

Hubby's main irritation is the, as he puts is, 'slack jaws', who freeze right as they walk through the door. But, it's easy to focus on the unwashed few, and ignore the rest of the people who are in there. And it's gratifying, right, to feel like you're the richest person in the place. lol.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Hubby's main irritation is the, as he puts is, 'slack jaws', who freeze right as they walk through the door. But, it's easy to focus on the unwashed few, and ignore the rest of the people who are in there. And it's gratifying, right, to feel like you're the richest person in the place. lol.

It isn't that they are poor(who can really tell anyways), it is that they seem more animal than human. It seems to affect people the second they enter the parking lot. Everyone does seem to give up all sense of human decency and thought for others. They are solely focused on getting done what they need to get done.

Checking out is what always kills me. The lines look long enough to begin with, but just when it seems like you are about to get out of there, the person ahead of you whips out 17 different flyers to price match 30 different items, demands that they look up a few more items online for additional price matches, and then argues about 5 other items that they claim were mislabeled or on the wrong shelf so that they should get a discount.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The ones nearest my trailer park are polite at the store, the greeter gets a 'Good Morning Sir.' more often than the sitting Judge. Just saying ........ No Cashier at any check-out can add without the machine, not just Wal-Mart.
Wasn't there some law passed that said the 'coupon' didn't have to be an original one, as long as it was a piece of paper with the right details on it it had to be honored? That could make a home printer a money making machine considering all the flyers are available on-line.

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Someone was critical that is why the clerk felt intimidated another case of the PC crap.
Teachers feel threatened if their authority is questioned. It used to be a couple of cops
could go defuse a situation. Now they need ten cops and five police cars cause they
hire people who can't make their presence felt and you got it they feel threatened.
People rely on 911 for everything to vent at too. A little while back there was a guy who
phoned 911 cause his fast food sandwich wasn't made properly.
Stores engage in questionable advertising like Walmart at times. Ad match is an empty
slogan it appears, well maybe not their definition might be different for example you find
an item at Sears, then you go to walmart and if its higher they match it. If you go to
Walmart first, perhaps they're sensitive about that cause they didn't have the lowest price
everyday. Its not the ad match its a slogan so you won't question the price.
In any event the employee likely didn't know what the hell was going on anyway and now
the store has to defend him.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I hate the walmart in our town. It is a small one, crap always in the aisles, empty shelves and the place is dirty. Most of the employees hate it too. Then they got a new manager and nothing changed it is still a pig sty. I don't have a choice about shopping there, it is the only dept store in town since they chased off Zellers. Or should I say Zellers chose not to compete and closed down a couple of years before all the others closed.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I hate the walmart in our town. It is a small one, crap always in the aisles, empty shelves and the place is dirty. Most of the employees hate it too. Then they got a new manager and nothing changed it is still a pig sty. I don't have a choice about shopping there, it is the only dept store in town since they chased off Zellers. Or should I say Zellers chose not to compete and closed down a couple of years before all the others closed.
even if your local zellers had stayed it may have been converted into a target.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It isn't that they are poor(who can really tell anyways), it is that they seem more animal than human. It seems to affect people the second they enter the parking lot. Everyone does seem to give up all sense of human decency and thought for others. They are solely focused on getting done what they need to get done.

Checking out is what always kills me. The lines look long enough to begin with, but just when it seems like you are about to get out of there, the person ahead of you whips out 17 different flyers to price match 30 different items, demands that they look up a few more items online for additional price matches, and then argues about 5 other items that they claim were mislabeled or on the wrong shelf so that they should get a discount.

Never had an issue with rude people at Wall mart- Now the lineups- yep- They cut way back on staff- empty shelves - and other issues.
I only shop there for certain items. And go mid week in the mornings.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I don't shop there much because I am not much of a shopper. I don't like massive sized stores unless they are well lit, well organized, well signed and clean. We have some here in my area that are all of those things. I still don't buy much there. I will pop in and head to the area of the desired purchase, pick it up and go. I don't browse or drift.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
even if your local zellers had stayed it may have been converted into a target.
They have a Target in Prince George, I am not impressed. They have a big clean Walmart there and when we go there I enjoy the store, it is clean , aisles open, shelves filled.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I was in line about 15 minutes longer than I should have been today, because a crazy lady cut in front of the lady in front of me.

We all kind of looked around at one another, and decided she was to be pitied rather than yelled at, we let it go, and carried on chatting about the holidays. My son had bought candy and lip balm for his new girlfriend, and I was teasing him about how it wasn't an excuse for kissing, and the lady behind me joined in on the ribbing. It was a lovely time, and we all just decided to relax and make the most of an inevitable wait, rather than be miserable.