Salvation Army says “Gays Need to Be Put to Death"

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The Salvation Army has expressed their Christian beliefs in the past, stating that they do not accept the LGBTQ lifestyle, nor do they stand up for gay marriage. Salvation Army went on record recently, stating that LGBTQ parents should be put to death as the bible instructs. Major Andrew Craibe, a Salvation Army Media Relations Director, went on public radio hosted by journalist Serena Ryan, to discuss a recent call by LGBTQ parents for a boycott of the nonprofit for its anti-gay policies and beliefs.

Ryan questioned Craibe about Salvation Story: Salvationist Handbook of Doctrine, the manual used to train Salvation Army “soldiers” and members. Several chapters refer to the sin of homosexuality, including a section that cites Romans 1:18-32, which includes a admonition that homosexuals “deserved to die”;

“ Ryan: According to the Salvation Army gay parents deserve death. How do you respond to that, as part of your doctrine?”

“Craibe: Well, that’s a part of our belief system.”

Ryan: So they should die.”

“Craibe: You know, we have an alignment to the Scriptures, but that’s our belief.”

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I can't imagine the Salvation Army wanting anyone dead. :(

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
The Salvation Army has expressed their Christian beliefs in the past, stating that they do not accept the LGBTQ lifestyle, nor do they stand up for gay marriage. Salvation Army went on record recently, stating that LGBTQ parents should be put to death as the bible instructs. Major Andrew Craibe, a Salvation Army Media Relations Director, went on public radio hosted by journalist Serena Ryan, to discuss a recent call by LGBTQ parents for a boycott of the nonprofit for its anti-gay policies and beliefs.

Ryan questioned Craibe about Salvation Story: Salvationist Handbook of Doctrine, the manual used to train Salvation Army “soldiers” and members. Several chapters refer to the sin of homosexuality, including a section that cites Romans 1:18-32, which includes a admonition that homosexuals “deserved to die”;

“ Ryan: According to the Salvation Army gay parents deserve death. How do you respond to that, as part of your doctrine?”

“Craibe: Well, that’s a part of our belief system.”

Ryan: So they should die.”

“Craibe: You know, we have an alignment to the Scriptures, but that’s our belief.”

Just so we are clear, we all know that the photo you posted is photoshopped, right?

This issue always seems to be dragged up at Christmas each year. I think it mostly comes down to the fact that most people did not know that The Salvation Army is a church. Not a charity with religious affiliations, it itself is a separate denomination within Christianity.

Christianity has a dicey relationship with homosexuality at best. If you ask enough people from any denomination of Christianity, you are going to find people with some pretty negative views on the issue, because the bible has some passages that can be interpreted as pretty negative on this issue.

My opinion is that Christmas is not the time to dig up the age old issue of homosexuality and Christianity. I think that we need to focus on what the charitable arm of the organization actually does.

The fact is that they are one of the largest providers of front line community support in many cities, and they provide support regardless of religious affiliation or sexual orientation.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Just so we are clear, we all know that the photo you posted is photoshopped, right?

This issue always seems to be dragged up at Christmas each year. I think it mostly comes down to the fact that most people did not know that The Salvation Army is a church. Not a charity with religious affiliations, it itself is a separate denomination within Christianity.

Christianity has a dicey relationship with homosexuality at best. If you ask enough people from any denomination of Christianity, you are going to find people with some pretty negative views on the issue, because the bible has some passages that can be interpreted as pretty negative on this issue.

My opinion is that Christmas is not the time to dig up the age old issue of homosexuality and Christianity. I think that we need to focus on what the charitable arm of the organization actually does.

The fact is that they are one of the largest providers of front line community support in many cities, and they provide support regardless of religious affiliation or sexual orientation.
Every religious Charity will have Tenets that people will disagree with. My Uncle, WW1, when the shxt was flying the only ones of a Religious Order in the trenches with the men were the Sally Ann.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Every religious Charity will have Tenets that people will disagree with. My Uncle, WW1, when the shxt was flying the only ones of a Religious Order in the trenches with the men were the Sally Ann.
that's what someone else told me too, they were the ones who were there for the troops

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

That is a common sentiment among many people who have been in hard times. More often than not, The Salvation Army is there providing people with what they need.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I feel when I give to the pot that at least it isn't going to some CEO and COO first and down through the ranks of workers until the people who need it get 10 cents on the dollar that I have given. With them it's 100%.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all my dad told me the Sally Ann served coffee right behind the front in WWII
where posible. Unfortunately I am torn here they have done such a good job with the
poor. I will look into this and if its true this ole grandpa will not give them a dime.
I believe the religious order in an open society where they get tax breaks should obey
all tennants of the law including not being discriminatory against any group.
If its true its deplorable if not a great injustice has been done to them. I reserve judgement
until I find out.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
First of all my dad told me the Sally Ann served coffee right behind the front in WWII
where posible. Unfortunately I am torn here they have done such a good job with the
poor. I will look into this and if its true this ole grandpa will not give them a dime.
I believe the religious order in an open society where they get tax breaks should obey
If its true its deplorable if not a great injustice has been done to them. I reserve judgement
until I find out.

:roll: read the snopes link that Goober provided.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
until I find out.
I'm sure they'll miss your millions.

They still have lost my donations.
I'm sure they'll miss your millions, too.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Soon as their put in the position of defending this crap and facing a boycott
they suddenly see the Holy Light and shave their attitude back to fit the
amount they get in the kettle. I don't want to hear from them again and they
got my last donation. All this nonsense about literal and spiritual is just that
nonsense either you believe or you don't. All to often some churches play
down their nasty little belief systems.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Soon as their put in the position of defending this crap and facing a boycott
they suddenly see the Holy Light and shave their attitude back to fit the
amount they get in the kettle. I don't want to hear from them again and they
got my last donation. All this nonsense about literal and spiritual is just that
nonsense either you believe or you don't. All to often some churches play
down their nasty little belief systems.
Yeah, just look at all the dead homosexuals killed by the SA?