South Carolina sheriff defies Obama's order, refuses to lower flag to honor Mandela

B00Mer
South Carolina sheriff defies Obama's order, refuses to lower flag to honor Mandela

A South Carolina sheriff decided not to lower the U.S. flag at his office to honor former South African President Nelson Mandela, who died on Thursday, because he was not an American citizen.

The decision came despite an executive order by President Barack Obama urging American flags to fly at half-staff in honor of the anti-apartheid leader.

Sheriff Rick Clark of Pickens County originally posted about his decision on Facebook, saying that while Mandela was a great man, the flag should only be lowered at the American embassy in South Africa, not at home. Instead, Pickens said he would lower the flag over the weekend to honor a law enforcement officer who died on-duty and for Pearl Harbor Day, but that the flag would be back up to its normal position on Monday, December 9.

"It's just my simple opinion that the flag should only be lowered to half-staff for Americans who sacrificed for their country," Clark told WHNS News in an interview.

"To show a sign of respect for what Nelson Mandela's done, I have no problem with lowering it in South Africa, in their country," he added. "But in our country, it should be the people, in my opinion, who have sacrificed for our country."

Reaction to the sheriff’s decision has been mixed. Some defended the Clark’s decision, with one Facebook poster saying, “Rick, you do what is right no matter what anyone else says! Make us proud. Our flag is for our citizens and our country!”

Others, meanwhile, criticized Clark for perpetuating stereotypes about a racist South, and chided the Sheriff’s Department on its official Facebook page.

“Shame on you... Mandela made a difference for all American or not,” wrote one user. “And you shame your town by ignoring a executive order. You have invited the topic of racism into this.”

As CNN noted in its report, American presidents have ordered flags lowered in honor of foreign citizens in the past. Bill Clinton issued the same order when former Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated during the 90s, and the practice dates back to Lyndon Johnson, who did it when former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill passed away in 1965.

Most recently, George W. Bush lowered American flags in honor of Pope John Paul II, who died in 2005.

Regardless, there’s no penalty for deciding to go against an executive order on flag conduct, and Clark won’t be disciplined for his decision.

"He's not breaking a law. It's his decision. And I support the decision of the sheriff," Chief Deputy Creed Hashe told CNN.

source: http://rt.com/usa/soth-carolina-sher...g-mandela-012/

BornRuff
+2
#2  Top Rated Post
It is one thing to not do it, I'm sure many many people didn't do it for any number of reasons. But to come out and draw attention to yourself over it is wrong. The day isn't about the views of some random person in South Carolina.

petros
I didn't.

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

I didn't.

Your a friggin Canuck... he told Canada off for the way they treat natives..

Sal
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

It is one thing to not do it, I'm sure many many people didn't do it for any number of reasons. But to come out and draw attention to yourself over it is wrong. The day isn't about the views of some random person in South Carolina.

yeah that's what I was thinking too, why is this news, who the hell cares if he lowered his flag or not, it's just another way to get another anti Obama rant in the news...when they are this desperate it just looks pathetic...although I have to admit, I hated Bush this much and likely more...so I understand the stupidity of it, been there, done that got the tee-shirt with the moron on it...oops, did I say that?

B00Mer
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

it's just another way to get another anti Obama rant in the news...

exactly..

damngrumpy
+1
So the South Carolina Sheriff is a fool and he made a public *** of himself.
Its about international respect and obviously the people of South Carolina
haven't learned about manners how sad.

Sons of Liberty
+2
Slow news day?

Blackleaf
I don't see the problem.

Mandela's left wing admirers are complaining about something as trivial as a guy refusing to honour Mandela by refusing to lower a flag (after all, Mandela did nothing to benefit this guy), yet these same people would either have been quiet or would have praised the disgraceful antics of many of their lefty comrades who partied in the street after the great Mrs Thatcher died. Their actions and words were far worse than refusing to lower a flag. So much about "respecting an international leader".

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

I don't see the problem.

Mandela's left wing admirers are complaining about something as trivial as a guy refusing to honour Mandela by refusing to lower a flag (after all, Mandela did nothing to benefit this guy), yet these same people would either have been quiet or would have praised the disgraceful antics of many of their lefty comrades who partied in the street after the great Mrs Thatcher died.

The guy brought the attention on himself by announcing that he was going to refuse to do this. It isn't like people scoured the country for cops not lowering their flag.

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

The guy brought the attention on himself by announcing that he was going to refuse to do this. It isn't like people scoured the country for cops not lowering their flag.

Just like those crazed lefties brought attention on themselves by throwing drunken parties in the street and chucking bricks through shop windows when Mrs Thatcher died. They brought a lot of attention on themselves by doing that.

Outraged: Brixton Ritzy cinema in south London was also a target for the demonstrators. The cinema tweeted: 'Some the protesters/revellers have climbed up on our redograph and written their own messages, this is not our doing people!'

Young voices: Four left wing girls who wouldn't have even been born when Mrs Thatcher was in power hold banners reading 'Rejoice! Rejoice' during a celebration of the death of Baroness Thatcher in Brixton, south London

Sparks: Wheelie bins were set on fire by the left wing mob celebrating Thatcher's death and a police car was damaged by the flying missiles

This guy was right to refuse to lower the flag. Why should he honour a foreigner who brought him and his country no benefits whatsoever?

I suppose the Left believe that respect and proper manners towards the dead are only something those on the Right should show.
Last edited by Blackleaf; Dec 11th, 2013 at 11:24 AM..

BornRuff

Just like those crazed lefties brought attention on themselves by throwing drunken parties in the street and chucking bricks through shop windows when Mrs Thatcher died. They brought a lot of attention on themselves by doing that.

Outraged: Brixton Ritzy cinema in south London was also a target for the demonstrators. The cinema tweeted: 'Some the protesters/revellers have climbed up on our redograph and written their own messages, this is not our doing people!'

Young voices: Four left wing girls who wouldn't have even been born when Mrs Thatcher was in power hold banners reading 'Rejoice! Rejoice' during a celebration of the death of Baroness Thatcher in Brixton, south London

Sparks: Wheelie bins were set on fire by the left wing mob celebrating Thatcher's death and a police car was damaged by the flying missiles

This guy was right to refuse to lower the flag. Why should he honour a foreigner who brought him and his country no benefits whatsoever?

I suppose the Left believe that respect and proper manners towards the dead are only something those on the Right should show.

This is not a left vs. right thing. Some people are just *******s.

damngrumpy
In the case of Maggie Thatcher the left behaved badly. She was a head of State
and whether one liked her or not the actions of some on the left displayed their
ignorance. This Sheriff is the type of person who gives Americans that boastful
puffed up image. The boastful big mouth look at me thing.
The image is not fair either I have a number of cousins in various parts of America
and only two are idiots. Then again I know at least six in Canada that could give
idiocy a run for its money. The guy is a buffoon and this is the last ink I think I will
devote to it Guess they can dress him up but they can't take him out in public.

lone wolf
Mandela spoke forgiveness. That would be too much loss for people who love their hatred

Zipperfish
+2

I don't see the problem.

Mandela's left wing admirers are complaining about something as trivial as a guy refusing to honour Mandela by refusing to lower a flag (after all, Mandela did nothing to benefit this guy), yet these same people would either have been quiet or would have praised the disgraceful antics of many of their lefty comrades who partied in the street after the great Mrs Thatcher died. Their actions and words were far worse than refusing to lower a flag. So much about "respecting an international leader".

You did your own virtual dancing in the streets on the thread covering Mandela's death. "This is great news," was your comment, I believe. So can the faux outrage. Unless you're just permanenetly outraged, which is entirely possible as well.

#juan
Combined I.Q. of thirty

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

Your a friggin Canuck... he told Canada off for the way they treat natives..

And? We should not respect him for being consistent in his views? For not being a yes man?

no new posts