Ya, Ontario as stupid as the Brits

gerryh
+3
Nothin like killing a child to get the idiots moving on something that should have been a no brainer to begin with.

Yahoo News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

Cliffy
+1
Wow! There is no end to stupid is there. I wonder if the same applies to diabetics.

captain morgan
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Wow! There is no end to stupid is there. I wonder if the same applies to diabetics.

Diabetes shouldn't be a problem, just as long as the school ensures that the kids have a supervisor when they head down to Hastings to the needle exchange

lone wolf
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

Diabetes shouldn't be a problem, just as long as the school ensures that the kids have a supervisor when they head down to Hastings to the needle exchange

For the majority of Ontarians, Hastings is north - aka UP

Sal
Quote:

"To this day I really don't know how exactly the whole day unfolded for him."

that is beyond sad, poor little guy...I am shocked that they did not accommodate his illness and that the meds were locked in the principal's office. Unfortunately, each Board operates under a different set of rules.

lone wolf
Sometimes, I think the old school section system was better - except in one-size-fits-all standards, rules and practices

Colpy
+7
#7  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Nothin like killing a child to get the idiots moving on something that should have been a no brainer to begin with.

The staff should be charged with negligent homicide.

People wonder why I don't teach......

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Sometimes, I think the old school section system was better - except in one-size-fits-all standards, rules and practices

I agree but back then we didn't have people with "attitude" and sense of entitlement with a desire to sue for everything. That's where this crap comes from. If some other kid in the class got hold of his inhaler and used it and got ill or died the lawsuits would fly. Notice here a kid is dead, dead and no lawsuit..why...she doesn't have recourse.

It is sad but kids are so insulated these days that they often could not protect themselves or have any common sense because adults do everything for them.

Could you imagine in your day taking a kid's inhaler and self medicating. No. kids might have taken it and done something with it and got an azz whooping and that would have been the end of it. Not today according to the thought.

I think kids will do what you expect them to do...

IdRatherBeSkiing
+6
Exactly what was the issue with him carrying a puffer? I can't even begin to think of what they were trying to prevent.

Christianna
+2
If I was that child's mother I would sue the school (board) for every penny they could come up with. They murdered that child pure and simple.

mentalfloss
As an asthmatic in Ontario, this is frightening news.

If I didn't have immediate access to my inhaler as a kid I wouldn't be here right now.

Wifey's a teacher in T.O. and says this isn't an Ontario thing but just that one teacher/school.

It's an isolated event that doesn't need new legislation.
Last edited by mentalfloss; Dec 8th, 2013 at 03:13 PM..

WLDB
I remember when I was in elementary school they kept them in the classroom, not in an office on the other side of the building. I remember wondering why the kids werent allowed to carry them themselves but I dont think I was ever told why.

damngrumpy
Colpy I couldn't agree with you more. My wife has COPD a severe case and when
she needs an inhaler its right now and right now could be an instant away. This kid
was tortured by the school system. The teachers, the Principal, and members of the
school board should be held criminally responsible not to mention the Minister of
Education. These crap rules have to stop. Schools are becoming a concentration
camp for children. There is a rule for everything and now its more about rules such
as no peanut butter instead of about education.
Lets see they can protect you from peanut butter and other foods they can say no pop
knowing the kids will go to the store on the way home or from the family fridge. We can
do all this but protect them from bullies or the teachers well they can't do that Teachers
and the system are more dangerous than the other perils out there.

Retired_Can_Soldier
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

People wonder why I don't teach......

So it wasn't the whole scandal about introducing youngsters to armored piercing ammo?

gerryh
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

If I didn't have immediate access to my inhaler as a kid I wouldn't be here right now.

Wifey's a teacher in T.O. and says this isn't an Ontario thing but just that one teacher/school.

bullshyte

from the article

Most school boards have some type of asthma policy, but they vary greatly in terms of scale and scope, added Yurek.
"In some schools, students are not allowed to have them outside of the principal's office, some have medical stations where teachers have pictures of students who need inhalers but still don't have it on hand, and in other schools it has to be in the teacher's desk, which doesn't help them when they go in the playground," he said.

There's 3 different policies right there, so don't bother posting your wifes propaganda and damage control bullshyte.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

It doesn't get any sadder (or stupider) than that!

Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Exactly what was the issue with him carrying a puffer? I can't even begin to think of what they were trying to prevent.

There's no telling what could happen if something like that was to become a projectile!

karrie
I can't even imagine. My son has always been allowed to carry his inhaler. The school has also administered black coffee when the puffer was insufficient to manage his symptoms, as he waited for me to pick him up and take him to the hospital for further intervention.

But, the medication rules are simply ridiculous. Having a teenage daughter in a K-9 school, the 'no medications without a prescription policy' is frustrating as all get out. So, we take our chances and, rather than getting a prescription for freaking Midol, she sneaks it to school in a pocket in her lunch kit. Their excuse that 'if you're sick enough for meds, you shouldn't be at school' kind of falls apart when it comes to cramps and headaches, imo.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Only because it has been proven impossible to legislate against stupid.

Sal
+1
The principal's office is the last place you would want meds...principals aren't in the school 50% of the time and they have sensitive data in their offices so their doors have a special lock...it is beyond comprehension...technically meds are to be locked, but they have to be accessible or they are useless...this means that epi-pens in that school were not accessible either... it is baffling to say the least. In my short time with the board I've dealt with breaks and diabetic reactions and a zillion small issues, I don't know what they were thinking. It is illogical.