Iceland Police Kill a Man for the First Time


Sal
#1
I found this quite fascinating...

Iceland grieves after police kill a man for the first time in its history





It was an unprecedented headline in Iceland this week a man shot to death by police.



"The nation was in shock. This does not happen in our country," said Thora Arnorsdottir, news editor at RUV, the Icelandic National Broadcasting Service.



She was referring to a 59-year old man who was shot by police on Monday. The man, who started shooting at police when they entered his building, had a history of mental illness.



It's the first time someone has been killed by armed police in Iceland since it became an independent republic in 1944. Police don't even carry weapons, usually. Violent crime in Iceland is almost non-existent.


"The nation does not want its police force to carry weapons because it's dangerous, it's threatening," Arnorsdottir says. "It's a part of the culture. Guns are used to go hunting as a sport, but you never see a gun."


In fact, Iceland isn't anti-gun. In terms of per-capita gun ownership, Iceland ranks 15th in the world. Still, this incident was so rare that neighbors of the man shot were comparing the shooting to a scene from an American film.
The Icelandic police department said officers involved will go through grief counseling. And the police department has already apologized to the family of the man who died though not necessarily because they did anything wrong.


"I think it's respectful," Arnorsdottir says, "because no one wants to take another person's life. "


There are still a number of questions to be answered, including why police didn't first try to negotiate with man before entering his building.


"A part of the great thing of living in this country is that you can enter parliament and the only thing they ask you to do is to turn off your cellphone, so you don't disturb the parliamentarians while they're talking. We do not have armed guards following our prime minister or president. That's a part of the great thing of living in a peaceful society. We do not want to change that. "




Iceland grieves after police kill a man for the first time in its history | Public Radio International
 
Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
damngrumpy
+1
#2
Sounds like a justified shoot to me so far. Sooner or later it was bound to happen.
 
Sal
+1
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Sounds like a justified shoot to me so far. Sooner or later it was bound to happen.

I guess it was but that is some long record...very commendable
 
WLDB
#4
they had a really good run.
 
JLM
+1
#5
I didn't realize a man could be killed more than one time!
 
Blackleaf
#6
It's not too surprising. Iceland is almost the same size as England but has a population of 322,000 and is the most sparsely populated country in Europe (although it's population density is not much different than Canada's). In comparison, the brilliant city of Liverpool (where I went yesterday, saw the Cavern Club and had my photo taken next to the statue of John Lennon) has a population of 552,000.
 
Retired_Can_Soldier
+6
#7  Top Rated Post
Is anyone else distracted by the sweet looking Icelander cop?
 
DaSleeper
+5
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Is anyone else distracted by the sweet looking Icelander cop?

Glad to know I wasn't the only one...
 
B00Mer
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

Is anyone else distracted by the sweet looking Icelander cop?

Yeah, looks like she could keep me warm on those long winter Icelandic winters.
 
Blackleaf
#10
She's not that attractive.
 
petros
+4
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

She's not that attractive.

And that is why you are a virgin.
 
JLM
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

She's not that attractive.


"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
 
Sal
+1
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

She's not that attractive.

really? I think she is beautiful. Each to his own I guess.
 
JLM
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

really? I think she is beautiful. Each to his own I guess.


You are not disagreeing with Blackleaf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -
 
Sal
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

You are not disagreeing with Blackleaf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -

why would I disagree... other than to say I don't see it that way... in reality it's just bone structure, beauty is as beauty does
 
CDNBear
+2
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

She's not that attractive.

Not everyone loves Dame Edwards like you.
 
Blackleaf
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Her beauty isn't in my eye.
 
#juan
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

She's not that attractive.

I don't think anyone would call her unattractive. She is in uniform, but I think with the right clothes and hairdo she would be gorgeous. I wonder what Blackleaf looks like?.......We don't know if he has bad teeth and pimples.......
 
JLM
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I don't think anyone would call her unattractive. She is in uniform, but I think with the right clothes and hairdo she would be gorgeous. I wonder what Blackleaf looks like?.......We don't know if he has bad teeth and pimples.......


Those are likely his good features! -
 
shadowshiv
+1
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

She's not that attractive.

Is it due to the fact that she doesn't remind you of Camilla (with whom you have a major crush on)?
 
JLM
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

Is it due to the fact that she doesn't remind you of Camilla (with whom you have a major crush on)?


Of course..............why didn't I think of that? -
 

Similar Threads

284
Time to Kill OAS??
by tibear | Apr 29th, 2013
9
Good ways to kill time in toronto
by Johnnny | Mar 6th, 2010
0
Time to Kill the Oil Beast
by Tyr | Feb 9th, 2009
no new posts